'Secrets of Chinese Karate'

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eight bucks is a great deal on SOCK... Congratulations.

In it, you will find a lot more of the Chinese flavor of our origins. The two man set is there, and some really great art work. If for no other reason than it's historical significance, the book is a good one to have in your library.

Dan

B

brianhunter

Ive heard people say 2 man set in the book is wrong? Also that Mr. Parker did it on purpose.......What is wrong in the book????

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mine cost me £5.50, which is $8.69 at todays rates.
I bought it here in England from a Martial Arts shop.

Many years ago I had a copy signed by Mr Parker, with a personal message to me, but whlie moving to England some packing boxes disappeared and my books were among the losses. (There were a few books signed by Mr Parker that I lost)

Les

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just won it, it was quite insense!

I got in from work about 5 minutes ago, and sat down to read my e-mail. There was one in my EBay folder saying I'd been outbid, so I went to the page and it said there was 1 minute 20 seconds left of the auction!

I quickly bid, but the other guy was proxy bidding (auto bidding), so I was outbid 3 times, and I had to make 3 bids in 60 seconds with a bit of speed typing!

The bid history says:

satans.barber(6) £8.00 23-Nov-02 15:11:40 GMT
satans.barber(6) £10.00 23-Nov-02 15:11:54 GMT
satans.barber(6) £10.50 23-Nov-02 15:12:06 GMT

!

Anyways, I managed to win it so that's OK.

Ian.

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by satans.barber

I just won it, it was quite insense!

I got in from work about 5 minutes ago, and sat down to read my e-mail. There was one in my EBay folder saying I'd been outbid, so I went to the page and it said there was 1 minute 20 seconds left of the auction!

I quickly bid, but the other guy was proxy bidding (auto bidding), so I was outbid 3 times, and I had to make 3 bids in 60 seconds with a bit of speed typing!

The bid history says:

satans.barber(6) £8.00 23-Nov-02 15:11:40 GMT
satans.barber(6) £10.00 23-Nov-02 15:11:54 GMT
satans.barber(6) £10.50 23-Nov-02 15:12:06 GMT

!

Anyways, I managed to win it so that's OK.

Ian.

Those damned ebay vultures!!!! What I hate is thinking yout getting it cheap..and BAM!!! SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!

ALWAYS CHECK THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!!!!!! Brians Ebay tip of the day ;)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a copy signed by Mr Parker, with a personal message to me, but whlie moving to England some packing boxes disappeared and my books were among the losses. (There were a few books signed by Mr Parker that I lost)

That had to HURT.
Man, I'd sit down and cry...

heck, I think I will now just from reading that!
:wah:

There, got that out.
Some times a guy just needs a good cry.

Your Brother (pass the kleenex)
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
'Secrets of Chinese Karate' which I believe is an Ed Parker one, is it any good?

It's very very good, especially to one who likes Kenpo and history.

I had a nice hardback copy that my wife gave me for my birthday last year.
Then I lent it out.....
BTW: How are things going Brian?
:D
Just jokin around with ya bro.
I know I'll get it back when yer done w/it.
Enjoy!
Your Brother
John

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

Then I lent it out.....
Enjoy!
Your Brother
John

John,
You won't see that one again. Thats THE one Satans Barber has just bought on e-bay :mad:

Les

P.S.
Hows the recovery going? and are you going to Evanston?

B

brianhunter

Then I lent it out.....
:D
Enjoy!
Your Brother
John

OHHHH HA HA LOL Ive called Mr Popular clear up your schedule LOL

R

rmcrobertson

I agree, great book.

have you seen Freud's "bucket joke?" he claims it's the basic structure of all excuses: denial, apology, resentiment: "I never borrowed your bucket. And I returned it last week. Anyway, it had a hole in it."

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Brian
I know you'll get me the book when you can. I just can't pass up a chance to give ya a good ribbing.
clear up your schedule
MAN!!!! I wish I could! I'd love to get together with you and Jeff again, but my schedule is very busy right now. I was kinda hoping that maybe we could get together this coming weekend. Let me know if that works for you. (Maybe Sunday?)

Hey Les
Thanks for the concern my friend.
Yes, I'm still on the mend. Had a set back a few weeks back, a little tendinittis in the ligament where they took the graft from. Still kinda sore and the strength is still fluctuating... But I'm getting there.

Later guys..
be good
Your Brother
John
:asian:

J

jeffkyle

Hey Brian
I know you'll get me the book when you can. I just can't pass up a chance to give ya a good ribbing.

MAN!!!! I wish I could! I'd love to get together with you and Jeff again, but my schedule is very busy right now. I was kinda hoping that maybe we could get together this coming weekend. Let me know if that works for you. (Maybe Sunday?)

Your Brother
John
:asian:

Sunday sounds good to me!

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by jeffkyle

Sunday sounds good to me!

Me too!!! Ill bring your book, I had to unwrap it being as it was already sold on ebay HAHAHAHHAHAHA

P.S.
Could you bring my video?? ;)

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
i might try to get away on sunday to join if that would be alright?

If i play real good with the extended family this Holiday weekend I might be able to worm my way over to the Air Capital.

I would really like to meet a few more kenpoka folks.

Anyway, let me know if this would be acceptable.

Humbly

JD

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

Looks like I'm going to win an EBay auction for the book 'Secrets of Chinese Karate' (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1584661272), which I believe is an Ed Parker one, is it any good?

It's only going to be around £5, which is only $8 or so.

Ian.

It is a great historical text written by Parker to educate the public to the real origin of so-called "Karate." It indicates the Chinese roots of the art and contains information later dropped from "com" kenpo. 2 man set is not wrong either, the form was taken directly from Hung Gar just like Star Block was taken from Five Animal. Ed Parker was a perfectionist and in my opinion never purposely did or printed anything wrong, he didn't have to.

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Doc

It is a great historical text written by Parker to educate the public to the real origin of so-called "Karate." It indicates the Chinese roots of the art and contains information later dropped from "com" kenpo. 2 man set is not wrong either, the form was taken directly from Hung Gar just like Star Block was taken from Five Animal. Ed Parker was a perfectionist and in my opinion never purposely did or printed anything wrong, he didn't have to.

Thanks Doc, I was waiting for someone to answer it ;)