Screen Name Colors

DayStar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What does the color on their screen names in MT means?
There is red, bold blue, purple, green and what else?
What does that mean?
Thanks.
:angel:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Red = Supporting Member
Red in a lighter/coral shade = Supporting Member and Mentor
Purple = advisor

For the staff, the different titles largely refer to different levels of responsibility with regards to making us run :)
Green = Moderator
Dark Green which appears as Dark Blue on some browsers = Senior Moderator
Bold Gold = Super Moderator
Bold Blue = Admin/Assist. Admin/Tech Admin

That's most of them, I think there are a couple others too but that's prolly a question best left for someone on staff that knows the current codes. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's a mentor? I've been here for a long time and still don't know.

That is... I know what a mentor is in general. But what does it mean here?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's a mentor? I've been here for a long time and still don't know.

That is... I know what a mentor is in general. But what does it mean here?
Mentors make the jobs for mods a little easier by helping folks along in answering questions, trouble shooting, suggestions, etc. They help in moderator notification of not-quite-up-to-MT-standard-posts (i.e. Trolling or argumentative or attacking posts/replies) and so on.

A bad metaphor I'm sure but we're sort of like the brown shirts of the MT police, not quite full authority but with enough clout to get you in the Mod spotlight... :uhyeah:

maybe that's not quite the right way to say it... :rolleyes:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mentors make the jobs for mods a little easier by helping folks along in answering questions, trouble shooting, suggestions, etc. They help in moderator notification of not-quite-up-to-MT-standard-posts (i.e. Trolling or argumentative or attacking posts/replies) and so on.

A bad metaphor I'm sure but we're sort of like the brown shirts of the MT police, not quite full authority but with enough clout to get you in the Mod spotlight... :uhyeah:

maybe that's not quite the right way to say it... :rolleyes:
A mentor is just that: a mentor. They're members who have come to the staff's attention for their positive contributions to MartialTalk, and they're people whose conduct here is something we'd like to see everyone emulate.

We hope mentors help keep a little better eye on things -- a little like a neighborhood watch. And maybe introduce a calming voice as some threads become more heated without forcing us to official action. Bob (and the rest of the staff) very much believe that the best moderation is the least moderation necessary; we always try to start with the lowest level of official action, like nudges and "words to the wise" before formal warnings or worse.

But, just like calling the cops isn't limited to neighborhood watch groups, hitting the RTM button isn't limited to mentors! Anytime you feel that a post has violated MT rules or is otherwise a concern that the staff needs to know about -- hit that RTM button. It generates a discussion ticket, and we look into it. We try to acknowledge it quickly, even though we don't generally discuss actions taken publicly.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I never realized there were different colors until reading this thread, you learn something new everyday...

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talk about reviving an old thread.

So MT Mentor is not a title you would get through contributing money, like MT Supporting Member, right? You have to be noticed by the mods and handpicked for it?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about reviving an old thread.

So MT Mentor is not a title you would get through contributing money, like MT Supporting Member, right? You have to be noticed by the mods and handpicked for it?

That is correct. You can be a Supporting Member or Lifetime Supporting Member for contributing money. Mentors are chosen.
And the entire thread is essentially moot, since the underlying software has changed since this thread.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is correct. You can be a Supporting Member or Lifetime Supporting Member for contributing money. Mentors are chosen.
And the entire thread is essentially moot, since the underlying software has changed since this thread.

Did not realize that...doh!

Latest Discussions