School Names

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. Well first off, I have seen some really unique names for martial arts clubs/schools or whatever you want to call them, and some very simple ones as well. There is always a reason behind the name of a martial arts school and I think it would be a cool idea if those who have schools of there own on here could tell us how they came up for the names of their schools. And even those who dont own schools, it would be cool to hear the name of your club and why that name was chosen and the meaning behind it if you know.

As for me to start things off, the school I go to is one of those with a very simple name. It is called Master Lim's Taekwondo Academy. Straight to the point, telling you the name of the head instructor and the style taught. It obviously didnt take a who lot of thought to come up with but it does the job nonetheless. So lets here some names of your clubs!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never had a school that I tried to make a commercial success. The last time I taught, it was with students I had when trying to get Hapkido accepted at the Sport and Health in my area. I told my students we needed to get a certain amount of students within six months. That was needed for me to get paid. When it didn't happen, I told them I would not continue. Some of them offered me a training location and pay. I accepted that to keep up with training and teaching. It was pretty informal, and we never adopted a name. Two students continued with me long enough to attain 1st Dan, and were continuing when health forced me to stop.

Although only a 2nd Dan, I had the permission of my GM to teach, and whenever he visited the USA he stopped in to watch and evaluate. As I told him, I always considered it his school.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The school I attend is Eternal Martial Arts. Our Sabumnim is a deeply religion man. I seem to recall him saying something about him wanting a name which was religious, but not overtly so.

Prior to breaking off from our grandmaster, the school name was United Tae Kwon Do. He learned at a school called Unified Tae Kwon Do. I don't know the history of either of those names.

Rick

threethirty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school's name is Meng's Martial Arts of Richmond. It is essentially a franchise. Meng's Martial Arts teaches a curriculum developed by Master Benny Meng from research from the Ving Tsun Museum. Master Meng is my Sifu's Sifu (my Sigong) so the only people who have franchises are Master Meng's Students. It's a good brand and excellent curriculum.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to train Ving Tsun at Robert's Garage, but Robert moved to California. Now I teach my own class and augment my skills by travelling to train under my superiors. My school is called the YMCA. Oh, and I've opened a second school, Indian-School Park. I also train DTE Eskrima under a great teacher whose been doing the stuff his whole life. His school is called Monterey Park. LOL

Last edited:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school:

The Academy of European Swordsmanship.

'Cause that's what we do. We also do a fair amount of unarmed techniques, since wrestling is the basis of medieval and renaissance swordsmanship. Right now half of our training time is unarmed. It's a bit of a misleading name since we don't do JUST swords. You'll find people who do knife, staff, spear, unarmed, and various types of European swords. We could have called it "Jay's House of Pizza" but that would have been even more misleading. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
While our club name is very obvious ("Stevenage Taekwondo Club", the town we train in is Stevenage), it's our logo that I really like:

$large-logo.png

The background is an Um-yang shape, but with the union flag behind part of it (as we're British and proud). The flying kick man in front is actually made up of the letters STC. This is the best part, it looks like a kicker, the brush script makes some people think it's a south east asian character and when you see the STC it's very clever.

Love this logo! It was designed in a competition on 99designs.com and we couldn't be happier!

The club was originally called "Pan Tae Kwon Do" (taught by, then Master, now Grandmaster, Pan Sim Woon)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends who you ask lately. Terris's TaeKwonDo is the latest name we've come up with in a shameless attempt to take advantage of the fact I grew up here and my name is recognized :D

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My school, is S.H. Kang's Ohio Valley Taekwondo Academy. Straight to the point, S.H. Kang is the head of the association. We have schools all over West Virginia, as well as Tennesse, Florida, Maryland, and Texas. There is another branch school within 10 minutes of my dojang, and I wanted to separate us from them a bit, so I could develop my own reputation. Rather than just having the name as Vienna branch school of S.H. Kang's Taekwondo Academy (what everyone else in my association names their school), I changed it to Ohio Valley Taekwondo.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I set up my school about three years ago and I did struggle with a name. I see that many people on here are using lineage names for their school franchise, but that wasn't really an option for me, my instructor had shut down his civilian instruction to focus on training LE/military groups and that skillset is entirely different than mine, so it wouldn't be appropriate to stick a lineage name on it. I am an instructor in both Kenpo and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, so I didn't want a title with either of those simply because I wanted the flexibility to teach either even though I knew I was going to focus on Pekiti. I wound up with the idea of a "training group" because I believe that the training hall/park/garage is a place where everybody improves everyone else, rather than a "school/academy" where education tends to be very one way. The "blackbird" came from some of my interest in animal iconography and what we view as important attributes as a martial artist. Although "Blackbird Training Group" doesn't really do a good job of advertising us as a martial arts group, that doesn't matter we aren't commercial and I don't have to advertise to get a good group of participants, most of my guys link up with the group through word of mouth.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The name of the school I train at is "Warrior's Edge Dojo". My teacher picked his schools name because his philosphy is that the lesson's of martial arts should not only make u great at fighting, but also make your life better. So it's a double meaning of having a sharp edged sword and having an edge in life given to you through training.

Our national organization's name was actually picked by me of all people. Banzenkan means hall of perfection/flawlessness and I thought it was a good choice as our aim is to perfect not only our martial skill but our character as well.

Latest Discussions