Trust

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem--regardless of style or discipline--that there is an ever-increasing lack of trust among people within the martial arts communities? And if that's so, where did it come from and more importantly, how do we rid ourselves of it?

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem--regardless of style or discipline--that there is an ever-increasing lack of trust among people within the martial arts communities? And if that's so, where did it come from and more importantly, how do we rid ourselves of it?
Perhaps to aid responders onto this thread perhaps a little clarification on "trust"?

Are you talking about trust within fellow practioners of the same MA style?

Trust within members of a style’s governing organization(s)? e.g., The All US Something Style Federation, The World Best Karate Style Association?

Trust between teachers (school owners) of different styles at open training seminars?

Remember what President Ronald W. Reagan told those lying Soviet Commies back during the 80s… TRUST, BUT VERIFY!

...and Classic Hawaii 5-0 Steve McGarrett would NEVER TRUST his arch-nemesis Wo Fat!! :uhyeah:

OP
Wo Fat

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A-ha, touche John.

And yes, I was actually speaking of every aspect that you asked for clarification on. Not everyone is distrusting. But where there is distrust, you can almost smell it in the air. You can sense the tension. And since you gave such pinpointed examples, it seems that you didn't have to imagine much. ;-)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad I`m not the only one who remembers the old Hawaii 5-0, I was starting to feel old.

Yeah, if you could be a bit more specific it might help. That being said, I don`t think it`s just you. People now tend to be a bit more jaded and cynical, either when they deal with each other or about MA in general because there`s more knowledge out there and people are a bit harder to impress or to fool.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hawaii 5-O rocked! (I like the new one, too)

I have found that many Martial Arts organizations talk about each other with more hate/gossip/nonsense than I would have ever thought possible. I wish they would shut up and just train.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yea, I have had a prime example in my martial arts journey that makes me not trust anybody anymore. Integrity is something often preached but not always practiced by martial artists. Its really unfortunate, but you cant simply believe everything somebody says.

Latest Discussions