Senseis who grade their own bf's/gf's/wives/husbands.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I havent come across one who does but if the instructor is reputable then I have no problem with it, they should be able to grade them the same way they would any other student. I have seen GM's grade their sons and from what I have seen they go too far the other way. I know of a tkd GM who has failed his son for 1st dan 9 times, and his son is very very good. I cant understand that one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent come across one who does but if the instructor is reputable then I have no problem with it, they should be able to grade them the same way they would any other student. I have seen GM's grade their sons and from what I have seen they go too far the other way. I know of a tkd GM who has failed his son for 1st dan 9 times, and his son is very very good. I cant understand that one.

That's what I've seen of relatives grading too, they are too hard on them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I can understand a teacher being a little harder on relatives or persons with whom they have close emotional ties. But failing someone 9 times? Why were they even tested? When I was in Korea, no one was referrred for a black belt test until the Master or Grand Master was completely convinced they could pass. That was one of the purposes of the pre-test.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand a teacher being a little harder on relatives or persons with whom they have close emotional ties. But failing someone 9 times? Why were they even tested? When I was in Korea, no one was referrred for a black belt test until the Master or Grand Master was completely convinced they could pass. That was one of the purposes of the pre-test.

Aye, I can't help but think there is more going on there.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm testing my step daughter soon, just like I test other students. She passes or she doesn't, just like the other students.

I can understand putting more emphasis on family getting it "right", but I'll fail my other students just as quickly as my step-daughter. Nobody slacks or gets quarter. Nobody.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm testing my step daughter soon, just like I test other students. She passes or she doesn't, just like the other students.

I can understand putting more emphasis on family getting it "right", but I'll fail my other students just as quickly as my step-daughter. Nobody slacks or gets quarter. Nobody.

I applaud testing everyone to the same standard. I don't get the idea of testing students who are likely to fail. Why would a teacher do that? If they aren't ready to test, why test?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I applaud testing everyone to the same standard. I don't get the idea of testing students who are likely to fail. Why would a teacher do that? If they aren't ready to test, why test?

The only thing I can offer on that from personal experience is to motivate a student to make the effort to progress or make the effort to leave. Sometimes it's necessary to put them under the stress & obvious scrutiny of a test to show that this (MA & my time) is not a social event or kids club. Sometimes it only takes that once to put the fire in their britches.

I will only test a student once in a period which is set by the curriculum for their rank. If they have to re-test, it's after a couple of weeks of more stringent review. If they fail that one, we will sit down (with parents if a child) to see if this is what they need to be doing. If it turns out they are just a person who doesn't test well, then we will work through it & around it. But I don't have scheduling testing days or such. I also don't charge for testing, certificates or sashes so it's no money generator for me. They do this to show me they are ready for more intensive training.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I would have to agree with what others have stated on this, why would this GM's son even testing if he wasn't ready? It almost sounds like to me that his son was being made an example of for some reason.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you think about this. I know one who does that, and wanted to know your opinion.

I've known some of my previous instructors who have done so in the past and I've personnally never had a problem with it. From what I've seen they held their family members to the same standards as everyone else.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the majority here. I think it's a bad idea (though on occasion, it may be the only option).

Whether or not there is bias towards making the test easier so they pass when others might not, or more likely, hold them to a higher standard than their regular students, it isn't fair to the person testing or the other students in the group.

Even if it's possible to use exactly the same criteria, there will always be questions (baseless or not) about whether the person's rank is legitimate... whether they originate among other students, outsiders, or in the mind of the relative being tested.

When possible, I think it avoids problems to have someone else (other black belts/instructors, either inside or outside your school) test your relatives. Making them satisfy others (qualified to tell) that they're ready for that next belt (especially Dan level or higher) means that they'll definitely feel they've earned it (and satisfy most others that they have as well).