Safest place to carry wallet?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
Where do you carry your wallet or money (when you're on the street)? Just wondering how other M Artists do it. I actually have a pouch with a clip, so I clip it to my belt loop and stuff the pouch inside my jeans. I think it makes my belongings less vulnerable - but then to get my money, all someone has to do is undo the clip.

Thoughts, comments?
-Flamebearer
I carry my wallet in the traditional right rear pants pocket (Behind my concealed .40 Glock) of course that's just me. Someone decides to mug me, they'll get more than my wallet (probably a double-tap to the chest and one to the head). I'm a cop, so i can carry it like that.

For those who don't have a concealed carry permit, I would suggest carrying a dummy wallet with $5 or $10 in it, and keeping another wallet with all of the rest of your money, ID and credit cards well concealed. $5 or $10 is cheap compared to the alternative.

S

Spud

If you have to carry that much cash Flamebearer - I'd go with the dummy wallet as others had mentioned. I'd be real hesitant to flash the big cash roll anywhere.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JPR said:
I also keep my wallet in my front pocket for two reasons. First is safety. Second is for health reasons. A wallet in a back pocket exerts uneven pressure on your hips when you sit on it (even if it is thin from a lack of funds). This pressure, over the years, can cause problems. For me, it caused my sciatic nerve in my left leg to ache incessantly. Once I moved the wallet to my front pocket and had several weeks of therapy the nerve stopped acting up and all was / is well.

JPR

I also carry my wallet in the front pocket for the same reasons. Moved it there after chiropractor told me, it was better for my back.

If I wear cargo style shorts in the side pocket.

S

Shidan

I've always carried my wallet in the front - it just seemed like a good idea. Now I hear of people with back issues and glad I just started out that way.

If I have a jacket on (winter) I may switch it to the front inside pocket of the jacket.

Jibbler

White Belt
Reaction score
i carry mine in the back poket with two rubber bands around it. this makes it harder for picks to lift my wallet plus i carry a large sheath knife on my belt and i but the bottom of it in my back poket a little bit. if my wallet gets lifted i think the dude earned it!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think abouyt this a lot as I go out, but I reach different decisions about what's best at differnt times! Is there standard LEO advice?

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Left rear pocket. Just habit. Haven't had it stolen yet...

C

CrankyDragon

In high risk areas, your real wallet should go in a front pocket. A "throw away" wallet should be in your left rear... "Gimmie your wallet or die" "Okay" Crook runs off, looks in it later. Doh.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Back pocket, im very alert tho so im always checking it and alot of the times i have my hands behind me so if someone tried to grab it my hand woudld already be there, but mabye im too paranoid lol.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It seems many of you agree the front pocket for men. When I travel I find it very safe to keep your wallet in the front pocket and yet available to pull out quickly.

The easiest place for pick-pockets is back of the pants pocket, so easy to bumb and grab.

Plus when you keep it in a different place you are more aware of it. (front pocket). Back home it is in the back pocket(bad habit)........Aloha

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Always been in my back pocket, but I've been starting to worry about potential back problems...or actually, potentially aggravating my back problems. My problem is deciding what I don't actually need daily out of there and how to distribute what I need in either a thinner wallet or various pockets.

Maybe I'll just start carrying my crap around in a burlap sack.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're in Florida...aren't you in a swim suit most of the time anyway?

(My wife and kids are with my folks near Cape Canaveral this week.)

I use my back pocket unless in a crowd, when I switch to my front (usually). But, I always have to stop and think about it! The idea of a spare wallet with $2 in it is a good one.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No...me and swim suits don't get along.

Hey, if you're ever out this way to see the folks, let me know. I'm in the same county.

Cthulhu

arnisador said:

I use my back pocket unless in a crowd, when I switch to my front (usually). But, I always have to stop and think about it! The idea of a spare wallet with $2 in it is a good one.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't realize that! They're in Port St. John (which isn't a port). I was out there last year but didn't realize you were so close!

My family is due back today.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only about 30 minutes away, if that. Excellent. Definitely let me know when you'll be in town again!

Cthulhu

arnisador said:
Hey, I didn't realize that! They're in Port St. John (which isn't a port). I was out there last year but didn't realize you were so close!

My family is due back today.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I spent a summer in New York City, I kept it in my left front pocket as I usually do, but put my identification in a separate fold so that if I was mugged, they wouldn't get my ID. I also put a comb in it while on the subway to jam it in and make it harder to pickpocket. IMHO, the backpocket is the WORST place to put a wallet.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep my ID and cash in my wallet in my right rear pocket....about 2 inches away from my Glock .40 (don't leave home without it). If they're expecting me to hand them my American Express, boy are they in for a (short-lived) surprise.
icon12.gif

As Jeff Cooper so eloquently put it: "We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in some circles, that armed robbery is ok as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene." :asian:

G

Gliby

If your talking about being pickpocketed then my wallet is in one of my front jeans pockets. I never put my wallet in either my rear pocket or inside jacket pocket as neither is the best for avoiding a swipe.

If im on my own and someone either unarmed or armed comes at me and says "Gimme your wallet", ill reach in my pocket and throw it in one direction and then run quickly in the oposite direction. If they had a gun, no point in running just toss wallet to them and say "there ya go buddy, is that all you want or would you like my watch and mobile phone too? Okay you have a nice day then"

If i was with a member of my family then i would put myself between them and the the other guy, toss my wallet to them, and slowly back away around a corner (keeping my wife, kid etc, behind me as i did so).

I can cancell my credit cards, the card insurance will cover any fradulent purchases the that could have been made. I can get new bank cards, etc, etc.

But what i cant get is a new life if i get killed, money and possesions are just material trappings, but the lifes of you and your family cannot be replaced, i provide for my family i cant do that if i am six feet under. My wallet, car, watch, phone, pda and everything else means nothing to me, you want it you got it as long as me and my family get away unharmed then i dont care.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:

I have a spare wallet with a bunch of out of date cards in there, i don't carry it with me much unless i am going somewhere new with an unsavoury reputation.

I carry my wallet in my front pocket however i don't carry any cash, partly because i don't like to carry change from a broken note and partly because i can't phone a number to cancel it if its stollen!!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gliby said:
If your talking about being pickpocketed then my wallet is in one of my front jeans pockets. I never put my wallet in either my rear pocket or inside jacket pocket as neither is the best for avoiding a swipe.

If im on my own and someone either unarmed or armed comes at me and says "Gimme your wallet", ill reach in my pocket and throw it in one direction and then run quickly in the oposite direction. If they had a gun, no point in running just toss wallet to them and say "there ya go buddy, is that all you want or would you like my watch and mobile phone too? Okay you have a nice day then"

If i was with a member of my family then i would put myself between them and the the other guy, toss my wallet to them, and slowly back away around a corner (keeping my wife, kid etc, behind me as i did so).

I can cancell my credit cards, the card insurance will cover any fradulent purchases the that could have been made. I can get new bank cards, etc, etc.

But what i cant get is a new life if i get killed, money and possesions are just material trappings, but the lifes of you and your family cannot be replaced, i provide for my family i cant do that if i am six feet under. My wallet, car, watch, phone, pda and everything else means nothing to me, you want it you got it as long as me and my family get away unharmed then i dont care.

i agree and follow a similar philosophy.

Latest Discussions