Safest place to carry wallet?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time its the back pocket. If I'm in a crowded area, then I put it in the front pocket.

Mike

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't carry a waller, I just keep any money notes or coins in the front coin pocket!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I started losing my hearing, (usually the selective sensory compensation varies from person to person), my sense of touch was heightened... so it's very difficult to pick-pocket me... guys at my work (formerly professional criminals some of them) have tried for chucks and giggles.. and repeatedly fail. :idunno: Mebbe it's me but I think it's wiser not to try such nonsense with a deaf person. :D

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I sorta do like Paul says. I carry a backpack (well, a man purse) everywhere I go that has my cell phone, my insulin, and a bunch of other crap I seem to think I must have everywhere I go, but I also have my old wallet in there with some reserve money and all of my other crap that I am too much of a packrat to throw away, like my Sam's card, video rental card, Subway card, etc. (Ever seen George Costanza'a wallet?) Then, in my front cargo pocket with a zipper, I keep a little cash and my current debit card and driver's license, but that's it. I use the money in my backpack as my reserve. If someone wants the backpack and my wallet, I'll just tell them that my wallet is in the backpack.Plus, I've heard that keeping stuff in front pockets and cargo pockets is better for your back, in small part because of the weight, but mostly because it makes you sit unevenly if it's in your back pocket.

P

Patrick Skerry

jukado1 said:
Mr. Janulis touched on the safest answer, My thought is to carry a wallet with old, expired documents, drivers license's, credit cards, a few dollars, and anything not important or valuable, While in another pocket carry a small little business card case with your license, credit cards, and most of your money, If you are mugged you give up your wallet and the thief See's whats inside it and figures he has it all.
Unfortunately today, the punk will shoot you even if you have nothing on you, or you don't have enough money.

Here in Boston, 14 year olds have mugged and shot a guy for his sneakers (they were 'Air Jordans' by the way).

During the Xmas shopping rush in Boston's subways, woman are told to take their wallet out of their pocketbook and put it in a pocket, that way if their handbag gets snatched, they won't lose all their money & creditcards, etc.

For me, on the crowed Boston trolleys & trains, I put my wallet in my right front pocket and hang my thumb from it, ain't nobody gonna steal it then.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow... some great stuff here.

Just hope the Pickpocket and Punk Union never finds this thread!%-}
Or maybe they'll know who to stay away from

-Flamebearer

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I can see it now... "Advanced black belt wallet storage techniques", a new video series available....

:D
anybody want to get togehter and produce this video?

i think we could charge 39.95 for the two VHS set...

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've carried a wallet in the same old place for years now: my back pocket. My wallet has a heavy chain on it (both my current one and the one before it). At times when I know I'm going into a less that law-abiding side of town I take everything except $20 out of my wallet and put it in a front pocket. Like Tech I also wear BDU's quite a bit and when I do the back pocket is buttoned. The only downside to the chain wallet is that you can't take it on an air plane because "You could wrap the chain around someones neck (minimum wage/minimum intelligence security guard). Because I didn't wanna be strip searched I failed to mention that my boot laces could also double as a nice strangling cord ;)

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I keep mine in my wallet in the front right pocket.
I am not too concerned with getting mugged, Im ussually broke anyways. chances are the mugger will only get like ten $ if there lucky, right along with a broken nose er somthing (That is of coarse if they don't have a knife or somesort of a weapon, in that case I will just comply and fork over the small amount of money im worth)

- Hwoarang_tkd26

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also keep my wallet in my front pocket for two reasons. First is safety. Second is for health reasons. A wallet in a back pocket exerts uneven pressure on your hips when you sit on it (even if it is thin from a lack of funds). This pressure, over the years, can cause problems. For me, it caused my sciatic nerve in my left leg to ache incessantly. Once I moved the wallet to my front pocket and had several weeks of therapy the nerve stopped acting up and all was / is well.

JPR

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi JPR,

You are so right on, my reason also, 33 years ago, a Dr. told me not to carry my wallet in my rear pockets, for the same reason.

Loose clothing around your lower body is good also, you can use your legs more with out tearing out your knees when bending over properly, to lift heavy items or just not wanting to.
Because you have not moved for 24 hours because your back is sore.

I tell that to people and they say, 'what' you listen to your Dr.?

When I travel I carry it and other good things needed when traveling, in a money and etc. pocket around the inside of my loose pants and it is very safe, hard for me to get at.

Money, I carry folded up, in my rear or front, depends on how much is on me at the time. Since a lot of stores won't take anything larger than a $20.00.
And even those are suspect in most places.

A $20.00 barely buys breakfast for two in Denny's with tip and they won't take a $50.00. OK.

Part of the conspiracy to go to plastic and do away with money, that way they can keep track of you all the time.(not far off)

Regard, Gary

PS. Did I ever mention, why I don't to to football Games? Well when they are in the huddle, I know they are talking about me. G

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry my wallet in my front pocket with no cash in it. The cash I keep in the other front pocket.

J

jesse sutton

interesting...

i've never even worried about where i keep my money. I can feel it either way, no matter what pocket. And if somehow someone can snag it from my back pocket before i can grab them, then they better have run track, cause i'll chase em down.

When i went to Vegas someone tried to swipe it from my back pocket, and i caught the guy, by the wrist. (At the time i knew NO martial arts.) Since i was only 14 i just said DAD and my pops turned around and knocked him out in one punch. It looked even worse to my dad being that as i caught the guys hand in my pocket, he couldnt remove it from there, meaning he basically holding on to my ***. Strangely i didnt do anything myself, being that at 14 i was 6'0 and weighed about 180. You'd think i would have just responded similarly.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
The reason I worry about it is that sometimes I have to travel and carry a lot of money (as in several hundred) on my person. I know, you're thinking why don't I use a credit card, but sometimes in my situation it's unavoidable. And there are people out there who know how to pick pockets! I prefer to keep my money safe so I won't be stranded and wonderful stuff like that. And besides, if somebody tries for my money, I prefer (heh, heh) that they pay for the crime that it is.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just keep it in my back pocket. I keep my cigarettes in my front pocket, and my keys in my other front pocket, so I'm fresh out of pockets by the time I get to my wallet.

If I am every having to venture into the less savoury parts of town, or if I'm travelling somewhere unfamiliar, I take a bill-fold of small notes to toss away as bait if I find myself in a mugging situation.

V

Vadim

I keep my wallet in my front pocket and split my money between both front pockets. I guess it works haven't been pickpocketed yet.

-Vadim

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I travel solo on my motorcycle a lot. I try to spread my money out. I'll keep a little in my back pocket wallet where I can get to it. Then I wear a money belt with most of my cash in it. If I think I'm in a bad area I'll stick a cople bills in my sock. It's nice to have options. Keep a couple dollors in your front pocket for panhandlers. Maybe a hundred in the wallet for muggers. Keep your roll in your pants and like I said a few in the boot in case you've got to give up the roll to save your butt.

ShotoSan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I put my wallet in my back pocket, I mean.... the chances of you being mugged are like, 1:1000000

Latest Discussions