Constant reminder of your training?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was looking through an MA magazine & noticed "black belt rings" for folks to wear (presumably after practice) & it got me wondering how many of you have some sort of constant reminder of your training &/or your art?

My key ring is a Century black belt. I originally got it & others for a group of folks I trained with years ago. We all carried them then. I don't know if the rest still do.

Other than bruises, aches & pain or a wallet with less money in it: do you carry any sort of reminder of your training or art? Body art? Ring? Keychain, etc?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I don't carry an external momento of my training. It sounds trite and glib but it's not meant that way when I say that the reminders I carry are in the changes to myself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My consist reminder is my mind, it will always be that way no matter how old I get.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a keyring that is a few inches of black belt - but I only have that because I was given it as a gift.

When I get bored in staff meetings I write out pattern moves and diagrams... does that count?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a keyring that is a few inches of black belt - but I only have that because I was given it as a gift.

When I get bored in staff meetings I write out pattern moves and diagrams... does that count?

I think that's priceless!:ninja:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I don't carry an external momento of my training. It sounds trite and glib but it's not meant that way when I say that the reminders I carry are in the changes to myself.

Bravo...Well said...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My system actually has a black belt ring; it's not required, but most of us do wear it, at least at official events. Do to work requirements, I don't generally wear mine. After all, the ring isn't the same as the knowledge and achievements that earned it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a ring that was made available to about 7 long time Black Belts in the system i was trained in. It is a reminder of the hard training and of the man that trained me, not that I need a reminder.
To me it has special meaning as none of these rings are supposed to never be made again.
Other than that i wear my t-shirts with my school logo and to me that is about the same thing (being a visible sign of training)
What I do not wear is a jacket with my rank and title on it as I have seen many do

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I only carry my thoughts with me. I never carry anything external. Outside of a few close people, I generally don't want people to know that I train in martial arts. I like to keep it low keyed.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the point? If you've gotten to instructor-grade and it hasn't made an impression I don't know what to say. If the real unspoken point is for others to see there are some serious ego problems lurking about.

For the rest, I've got to go with Musashi Miyamoto: "Let your everyday aspect be your fighting aspect and your fighting aspect your everyday aspect." If you need to be reminded it means you haven't internalized the training and made it a seamless part of what you are.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One reminder is the ache's and pains you next day!

Another is knowing your behavior and being a role model is always on duty 24 hours....this should be a natural thing...HUMBLE!

Being aware of surroundings and people nearby....and NOT in a parniod way too!

Aloha,

PS: The biggest reminder? ...seeing your uniforms in the hemper..knowing it needs washing for the next class!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only carry my thoughts with me. I never carry anything external. Outside of a few close people, I generally don't want people to know that I train in martial arts. I like to keep it low keyed.

What they said. There's some talk about getting leather jackets with stuff on them, and I'll go along and get mine, but I know it will gather dust in the closet.

The only external reminder I want from my training is one I already have: an ACL reconstruction scar on my right knee.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah it does. What are your MA tats?

I have my instructor's patch on my left shoulder, the kanji for "China Hand" on my left forearm surrounded by lotus and cherry blossoms and I have the kanji for "Empty Hand" on my right forearm (to soon have some mountains and water scene around it.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than my old Kukkiwon 4th Dan card, only my attitude.

Latest Discussions