Safest place to carry wallet?

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where do you carry your wallet or money (when you're on the street)? Just wondering how other M Artists do it. I actually have a pouch with a clip, so I clip it to my belt loop and stuff the pouch inside my jeans. I think it makes my belongings less vulnerable - but then to get my money, all someone has to do is undo the clip.

Thoughts, comments?
-Flamebearer

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see it now... "Advanced black belt wallet storage techniques", a new video series available....

:D

K

KenpoNoChikara

Same here, front pocket or in my duffel, since I'll usually be going to or from the dojo :) , not sure if that qualifies as "safe" though

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know that "fifth pocket" with jeans (the small one generally found within or above the front larger pocket)? That's where I keep my money (bills and coins). If anyone wants to take 'em against my will and knows where to find 'em, they'll have to wrestle me down to the ground... :rolleyes:

Basically, at first glance, it looks like I'm not carrying anything. That's my preferred way. However, if I'm out for more than just a short trip to town, I do have a purse that carries everything else (including credit cards). Short of having to cancel credit cards and notifying driver's license division, there isn't much else of value with my purse, usually.

- Ceicei

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I live in a pretty safe town, so I just keep in in my back pocket. But when I go to NY or another big city, I usually move it to my front pocket. My brother went to Paris this summer and bought some kind of money belt type thing that you strap around your waist inside your clothes, and you can't tell it's on you.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back pocket for me. I got me cell phone in one of my front pockets and my keys in the other.
I'm not stilling on my keys and My keys+ wallet just feels strange.
I never carry to much in my wallet though and I'm not to worried about some one picking my pocket. if I'm mugged well front pocket back pocket doesn't much matter I'll give it over just as soon.

P

Patrick Skerry

Front right pocket where I can hang my thumb on it.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
You know that "fifth pocket" with jeans (the small one generally found within or above the front larger pocket)? That's where I keep my money (bills and coins).
Watch out for the "Cleveland Steamer"! :rofl:

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I usually keep my money in my wallet in my front right pocket. This way I have a better chance to see a pick pocket and I feel the difference in pressure against my leg when having the wallet in my front pocket compared to not carrying my wallet.

When carrying a larger amount of money on me or traveling (I hate using credit), I keep no more than $40 in my wallet-just enough to pay for smaller items and less expensive meals. The rest I fold up and slide down my sock on the outside. If I am robbed, all the guy gets is $40 while the other $250 is in my sock. If I need more money, I can go to the bathroom stall or someplace and slide it out of my sock.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However...so I don't derail the thread...

I think that a safe and secure place where a pickpocket can't snag it without you knowing it is important. Growing up between crime havens like Detroit, Pontiac, and Flint, I have learned a few tricks.

One is keep your money seperate from your wallet, and don't be a credit card junkie. A pickpocket may snag my wallet, but all he'll get is a couple of personal items, my liscense, and a credit card with a lot of security measures and insurance on the card. That'll suck, but it won't break me. My money is generally in a clip, and I generally don't carry more then 50 bucks. I highly suggest not carrying more then 2 cards, and make sure you have the ability to call those 2 cards right away to cancel them if anything were to occur. Have those credit card co. phone numbers in your cell phone.

The other thing is keeping it in a place that is harder to pick. Front pocket is usually better then back. Loose deep pockets are usually better then tight shallow pockets. These are just some examples. Also, having that consistancy of where you carry it can be helpful; you might feel "naked" without it being in that specific place which will alert you if it is picked.

pay particular attention to picking opportunities in large unfamilar places, especially if you are a tourist. Watch for distractions...if something out of the ordinary captures your attention, you should be at "code orange" paying attention to the rest of your surroundings.

Your biggest concern is not a pocket picking, however, it is being mugged. If you can throw your wallet down and make a run for it, and your whole life isn't in that wallet, then this may save you from loosing all your cash. Or, if you are light on cash then throw your money clip down and run. This will prevent your losses as well. I would think more about tactics from a mugging, because being mugged is far more dangerous then being picked.

Hope that helped...

PJMOD

T

ThatWasAKick

So, what? None of you carry your wallet in your purse?
<te he>:)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the longest time I refused to carry a wallet perfering to stash my money and drivers license in a pocket..No money clips either, it's just something else to worry about..Now that I have to carry one it's the back pocket...

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Janulis touched on the safest answer, My thought is to carry a wallet with old, expired documents, drivers license's, credit cards, a few dollars, and anything not important or valuable, While in another pocket carry a small little business card case with your license, credit cards, and most of your money, If you are mugged you give up your wallet and the thief See's whats inside it and figures he has it all.

T

Tydive

Often in my jacket, in a zipped up inside pocket. I also like to put it in my side pocket (cargo style pants) which have velcro.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Watch out for the "Cleveland Steamer"! :rofl:
Ummmm.

Never mind. I thought better of it and edited my response out... sorry.

- Ceicei

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My back pocket, typicaly secured on a wallet chain...

and I often wear BDUs, with buttonable back pockets... hard to undo and remove the wallet from quickly.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My husband seems to think the safest place for his wallet along with his keys, lip balm, eye glass case, etc. when we go out is in my purse!!! Why do you guys do that? Why does your stuff have to fit in my purse and make it weigh a ton????

Women's purses would be SO much smaller if we didn't need to carry your stuff around too!!!:p

Latest Discussions