Rumor RE: Poom Belt

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard a rumor on another forum that the KKW was think of getting rid of the poom belt. Can anyone verify the rumor? It makes no sense to me. A jr. BB makes more sense than not having one.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seems pretty unlikely. Did the rumor include the reasoning behind the potential change?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, the person who posted it had also heard it as a rumor. I'm going to ask the same question of them. I suspect it's no more than a rumor. I'm just checking with folks here. We have a broader knowledge base here!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I heard was they where going to get rid of the actual red/black belt not the rank. This has been going on since the new President took over. I would agree with the belt being taken out.

On another subject I like to say Congrats to Wade for his recent Rand exam of 7th Degree. Congrats Sir.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic news Master Wade!

Terry, if the actual red/black belt is phased out, I think it should be left in. It is an instant way to identify jr. BB's from Dan ranks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's ugly ;)

ITA took it out because it looked too much like the senior red...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic news Master Wade!

Terry, if the actual red/black belt is phased out, I think it should be left in. It is an instant way to identify jr. BB's from Dan ranks.

I do not and never like them, but it does not matter to me anyway. The KKW will do what they want to do no matter what we think so more power to them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about using a black belt with a white stripe for the juniors?

LOL, we do not distinguish between Jr and adult in BB. the Black with the white stripe became out first BB, the probationary one...aka oreo or skunk belt...

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they get rid of the red/black belt, then what would they use to distinguish the jr. black belts from standard black belt?
Of course, we are running on rumors, but does anyone have an idea of what (if anything) they may use?

AoG

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization doesn't use them anyway. All black belts, regardless of age, receive the traditional belt at our main organization testing. Some instructors do use them for youth for the time between when they test in class and the organizational testing, which is mostly ceremonial anyway.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some schools that use the poom belt as a deputy black belt or probationary black belt rank (between red belt and black belt) for adults. We've always used the poom belt for 1st poom kids and then issued a regular monogrammed black belt from 2nd poom.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen some schools that use the poom belt as a deputy black belt or probationary black belt rank (between red belt and black belt) for adults. We've always used the poom belt for 1st poom kids and then issued a regular monogrammed black belt from 2nd poom.

I've seen it used as a deputy black &/or 1st gup for adults also. I still like the idea of the poom belt being used to denote jr. BB. My friend has a student who is 6'0" tall, kicks like a mule, but is only 13. While he can hang while sparring with a lot of adults (& he could pass for 18) he can't teach nor does he have the maturity of an adult. He is a good reason to keep the poom belt. IMO.

This isn't a discussion on "should there be jr. BB's" it's about how do we recognize the achievement of juniors & distinguish them from Dan ranks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen it used as a deputy black &/or 1st gup for adults also. I still like the idea of the poom belt being used to denote jr. BB. My friend has a student who is 6'0" tall, kicks like a mule, but is only 13. While he can hang while sparring with a lot of adults (& he could pass for 18) he can't teach nor does he have the maturity of an adult. He is a good reason to keep the poom belt. IMO.

This isn't a discussion on "should there be jr. BB's" it's about how do we recognize the achievement of juniors & distinguish them from Dan ranks.

Gosh, Baby Huey, we have a couple of those: Not mature enough to have grown into their bodies....

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

We have poom belts for the exact same reason.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it's important to distinguish the junior black belts from the adults, as much in the kids' minds as the rest of the class. It also gives kids something to strive for - hanging in there long enough to get a "real" black belt.

Latest Discussions