Researching a Theory - Do you play chess

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm curious. How many people here play chess or used to play chess?

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
As in have actually studied it and play it seriously or dabble? Because I believe I myself am a tactical dabbler.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was a very serious chess player when I was in high school, I was that guy who would go compete places.

For your theory, remember to take into account that the people who don't play aren't as likely to comment or open up this thread to respond.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a very serious chess player when I was in high school, I was that guy who would go compete places.

For your theory, remember to take into account that the people who don't play aren't as likely to comment or open up this thread to respond.
That's fine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never learned to play chess. I know the relative movement of the pieces, but have never played.

Play lots of other games, though.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never learned to play chess. I know the relative movement of the pieces, but have never played.

Play lots of other games, though.
What were these other games?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does Risk count, love me some risk? I am a biiiig time tactical game player (Civ V & Stellaris currently, if you're looking for videogames too).
I'll have to get back to you on that one.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was in the chess club in high school. My school would have a day where all the clubs were called into various rooms to have their pictures taken for the yearbook. Every teacher and all my classmates thought I was just trying to get out of class when the chess club was called over the PA. One teacher my senior year started laughing and said "come on, seriously?" There was another guy from the chess club in that class who said "yeah, he is serious." I played football and wrestled, so I guess didn't fit the stereotype. Most of the other guys were in school band.

I was the second seed my senior year.

Haven't played in about 10 years though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What were these other games?

Stratego, Risk, Monolpoly, Uno, Trivial Pursuit, competitive cut throat Scrabble, various Whists, Hearts. I am the world's worst Poker player (think retarded kid) but play Gin Rummy for money so well I can no longer get games.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was in the chess club in high school. My school would have a day where all the clubs were called into various rooms to have their pictures taken for the yearbook. Every teacher and all my classmates thought I was just trying to get out of class when the chess club was called over the PA. One teacher my senior year started laughing and said "come on, seriously?" There was another guy from the chess club in that class who said "yeah, he is serious." I played football and wrestled, so I guess didn't fit the stereotype. Most of the other guys were in school band.

I was the second seed my senior year.

Haven't played in about 10 years though.
That's fine if you haven't played in 10 years.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stratego was one of those games I had a difficult time mainly because the commercial had me thinking one thing and things like Stratego and chess don't play out in my mind like that. Too much action in the commercials and my brain was like (Where Da soldiers at) lol.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Chess club through 8th grade and played a lot when I was in high school. We would skip classes and head to the university district. Hang out at a coffee shop called the Last Exit, smoke cigarettes and generally try to look cool. Pretty sure it didn't work.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nope, ...never played, except to lose. Never really learned the game. My son used to beat me when he was about 10 years old. I'd have been even more proud of him if I wasn't such a push-over.

So what's your theory, Jow-Ga??

Latest Discussions