Researching a Theory - Do you play chess

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what's your theory, Jow-Ga??
I guess there have been enough replies. So anyone after this point will screw up my theory now that I'm going to state it.

I was working on an article for the students at the school as a way of sharing some insight of my perspective of martial arts. The article isn't written to be right or wrong, or my way is better than someone else way. I was writing it with the hopes that it may create that spark where all of a sudden some of the confusing things about fighting would be come clear. And this is where my theory popped into my head.

Before anyone replied, I made the assumption that a specific type of martial artist would reply. I picked out a couple of characteristics that I felt would be 90% true.
Here's my theory:
Those who have a taste for strategy would:
1. most likely have a deeper understanding of Martial Arts Techniques.
2. most likely have a deeper understanding of approaches to fighting
3. most likely have take a similar strategic approach learned from strategic games and apply it to their fighting ability.
4. most likely enjoy strategic type games.

Based on those assumptions I knew and expected that Steve, Geezer, Buka, gpseymour, rough rider, kempodisciple, and DirtyDog would reply yes to playing chess or at the very least play some kind of strategic game that require what is like multi-level thinking. The great thing about this is that I don't have to ask if any of this is true. I'm willing to bet that if people read your past posts that #1, #2, will be clear. Also by looking at what you say and how you say it, #3 can also be seen. Strategy is often well thought out which is probably how most of your posts look. In comparison to some of the other posts that seem impulsive.

If the above is correct, then I would think that your fighting tactics and style would be similar to what can be found in chess strategies.

Even if you lose in chess, you are highly focused on strategy trying to figure it out, trying to get inside the mind of your opponent, trying to counter any attack before it happens. (If you look at your comments about self defense) I bet this will line up nicely with how you approach strategy games.

I'm starting to think that it's possible to figure out who is a strategic fighter and who isn't solely based on his or her interest in things of strategy. I'm also willing to bet that many of the famous boxers and fighters enjoyed strategy games as well and that they fight with a strategy that is similar to what they use in strategy based games.

I don't know how close or how far I am on this, but I'm going to ask my classmate same question. I'm expecting the other instructor on saying that he doesn't play chess.

As for the people that I didn't expect to reply. I would say that my comments apply to you as well.

Let me know if I'm wrong about any of these assumptions.

I'm willing to bet that Iron bear doesn't play chess or any strategic games. If he does then he's recently started.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chess is probably too specific to make a call. And would be environmental more than mindset.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chess is probably too specific to make a call. And would be environmental more than mindset.
it doesn't have to be chess. it just has to be a strategy game that requires a deep level of strategy development. For example, it couldn't be checkers

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found these after I wrote my thought on the link between strategy games, in this case chess. The reason that I picked chess because it's one of the most accessible strategy games in the world.

pac.plays_.chess_.150425.330w.jpg

LENNOX-LEWIS-chess-008.jpg

"
Lennox Lewis plays chess almost daily. He credits the game with keeping him out of trouble during his tough upbringing in east London. "When someone calls you a name you want to punch them out… but chess teaches you to think through the next moves."

He also believes it helped him in the ring itself, even in key bouts such as his famous fight against Mike Tyson. Tyson, he insists, was merely a one-dimensional fighter, lacking a sophisticated strategic sense. As in chess, Lewis had a plan." Source

Rener Gracie Plays Chess "Rener believes that the techniques and strategies of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu are much like that of a physical chess match." Source

Rob Sinclair (BAMMA’s lightweight mixed martial arts world champion 2012) "I had a pretty regular childhood..mum, dad, two brothers, just going along. I always dreamed of being a football player and I did really well at that. From the age of 4 to about 11 I also played chess a lot believe it or not. I was one of the best in the country and I think that’s where all the tactical stuff gets involved, thinking a few moves ahead." Source

Granted my question wasn't scientific, it does lead to me thinking more about Chess and Martial arts. This doesn't mean that non-chess players don't have strategy. But if you have ever played a strategic game that required multiple levels of thinking then you know from experience that it's not a brute force type of game.

I even looked at myself and my son at how we spar with other students. I can see his chess strategy in the way he fights.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't play strategic games....now I can at least blame that for my sucking at MA....thanks

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every sport has strategy. I know we're talking about MA and fighting, but strategy is involved regardless of the sport being played.

Even the most basic and simplest sport has strategy. The more elite the competitive field, the more the strategy involved. The most basic sport/event I can think of is the 100 m dash. There's a ton of strategy. It's not run as fast as you possibly can the entire time. What do you do if you get way out in front of the pack? Way behind? How hard do you go during the preliminary races? Even in 100 m, if you go all out the entire time, you're going to burn out before the finish line. Even if you're in world class shape.

Look at a baseball/softball pitcher. They should be thinking the entire at bat and not just the individual pitch. They should also be thinking about all the circumstances (where runners are, how many outs, count, pitch count, score, etc.). It's not "I think I'll throw a fastball this time." Same goes for fielders - where to throw the ball is dictated by what the opposition is doing, score, number of outs, etc.

No sport is truly one play/possession at a time. If that's the that's the thinking, the athletie/team isn't going to be very successful. They may win a few games by luck or talent, but it'll catch up to them once the competition becomes more elite.

I'd love to see a study of elite athletes in a variety of sports and see what if any correlation there is between success, style within the sport, and playing chess or a similar strategic based game.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a strong opinion about the theory, but I do appreciate that you brought to mind memories of the Last Exit.

Last Exit on Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a cool place. In the mid-80's, it was a place where people would share tables, lots of serious chess players, and general hanging around occurred. There was one "non-smoking" table in the middle of the room. A round 8-top... smack in the middle. The rest of the place was the smoking area. That always struck me as funny, but god help you if you lit up a smoke at the "non-smoking" table. It was strictly enforced, and you would be quickly admonished if you broke that rule.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't play strategic games....now I can at least blame that for my sucking at MA....thanks
lol.. learn how to play a strategic game and then let me know if your fighting strategy changes

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play chess. I was president of the chess club at the Hotchkiss school. We were the U.S. H.S. team champions in 1973. I had a master's rating. These days, I'm much less competitive, and only casually play.......geniuses that work at Los Alamos National Lab......
I've often thought that the real relationship between chess and martial arts is the paranoiac personality that is attracted to both pastimes....or the one that results from advancing in them.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't played chess much in recent years, except for occasional games against my computer. At best I'm a low-level tournament player, with a rating somewhere in the 1300s. I enjoy studying the general principles of the strategy and tactics, but I lack the motivation to memorize opening games in any great detail.

I do see a lot of correspondences between chess and BJJ. I even wrote a blog entry about it a while back: BJJ and Chess

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The most basic sport/event I can think of is the 100 m dash. There's a ton of strategy. It's not run as fast as you possibly can the entire time.

DAVID KRUMMENACKER "..likes to surf, play chess, and listen to music, and also dabbles in stocks." Source: USA track and field

Usain Bolt playing chess
BvkOhvqCcAAoHXI.jpg

I'd love to see a study of elite athletes in a variety of sports and see what if any correlation there is between success, style within the sport, and playing chess or a similar strategic based game.
Same here

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't played chess much in recent years, except for occasional games against my computer. At best I'm a low-level tournament player, with a rating somewhere in the 1300s. I enjoy studying the general principles of the strategy and tactics, but I lack the motivation to memorize opening games in any great detail.

I do see a lot of correspondences between chess and BJJ. I even wrote a blog entry about it a while back: BJJ and Chess
That doesn't even surprise me that you wrote something about BJJ and Chess.. lol Now the question I want to know. Is your Chess strategy similar to your BJJ strategy. Are you able to see similar strategies that you use in chess in BJJ? I haven't read your BJJ and Chess blog yet. I'm guessing I'll find the answer there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't play games of any kind, really dislike playing games.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rules are simple enough and im relatively decent at it. But dont ask me to use strategy. Cause im not good at that. I prefer to move whichever piece whenever wherever I want (with accordance to the rules afcoarse)

Latest Discussions