Requirements to Advance from 3rd Dan to 4th Dan (KKW)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just been awarded a house 3rd dan and am told that in a few weeks I'll be in the KKW database with that same rank, So, I'm now looking to get my 4th, hopefully in an expedient fashion but if not, I suppose I'll readjust my internal clock.

Do you have KKW 1st and 2nd dans, too? I was under the impression that everyone gets certified from 1st dan and up (that's what I was told when someone wanted me to get KKW paper, anyway). So if you have those certs I don't think a KKW 3rd or 4th would be any problem since, as you mentioned before, the minimum requirements are pretty basic.

I do have the TIG requirements and more by KKW guidelines to have a 4th already, but I hadn't needed to advance in TKD until last year so I never pursued it. Now I wish I had.

Hind sight is usually (though not always) 20/20.

Out of curiosity, are there skip dans in karate?

Pax,

Chris

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have KKW 1st and 2nd dans, too? I was under the impression that everyone gets certified from 1st dan and up (that's what I was told when someone wanted me to get KKW paper, anyway). So if you have those certs I don't think a KKW 3rd or 4th would be any problem since, as you mentioned before, the minimum requirements are pretty basic.

Nope. I have a 2nd dan in Jhoon Rhee TKD earned in the eighties. 5th dan in Okinawan Goju-ryu karate and also just promoted to 3rd dan in Aikikai aikido if those ranks matter (I imagine not, but my sabunim took pics of my all certs, even in the kyu ones in judo, so he must think they have some utility).

Out of curiosity, are there skip dans in karate?

Nothing so organized and proceduralized like the KKW's, but certainly. A kancho/org head can do whatever he wants usually. Ranks are generally less important IMO in karate. There really aren't formally expressed rights reserved to higher ranks like the KKW practice of requiring 4th dan to submit certification paperwork. For example, my friend within SKIF is a 'lowly' second dan. He can still promote and get certs for his guys up to 1st dan.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's my understanding that one needs to have, at least, a KKW 1st Dan before a skip dan can be applied.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope. I have a 2nd dan in Jhoon Rhee TKD earned in the eighties. 5th dan in Okinawan Goju-ryu karate and also just promoted to 3rd dan in Aikikai aikido if those ranks matter (I imagine not, but my sabunim took pics of my all certs, even in the kyu ones in judo, so he must think they have some utility).

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder why I was told that you needed to basically start over from 1st dan when getting KKW certs. That was some time ago though, so maybe it's changed now.

Nothing so organized and proceduralized like the KKW's, but certainly. A kancho/org head can do whatever he wants usually. Ranks are generally less important IMO in karate. There really aren't formally expressed rights reserved to higher ranks like the KKW practice of requiring 4th dan to submit certification paperwork. For example, my friend within SKIF is a 'lowly' second dan. He can still promote and get certs for his guys up to 1st dan.

It is interesting how different styles and organizations handle testing. In the ITF, for example, you need International Instructor certification to be able to issue dan ranks and even then the level you can test up to depends on what dan level you are.

Pax,

Chris

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's my understanding that one needs to have, at least, a KKW 1st Dan before a skip dan can be applied.

I don't believe this is correct. I've heard of people jumping to 2nd Dan. Generally though they have a 1st Dan kwan rank, so it's kinda like a dan assimilation of their 1st Dan at the time of the promotion to 2nd.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep training and testing after 4th you will reach a day when one of your students need a recomend to 4th 5th or 6th and some day you may be older and whish you had? from an income point running a commercial dojang while lots of talk of rank dons't matter certainly in advertising in competition for paying students it seems to do what ever your can referee and coaching certification one of the big points on the International Master's teaching license from KKW was that economy and politics such as it is the day is comming about licensing and insurance of Dojangs that the teaching license and certification process was originally thought to prepare for that if 5,000 masters could have been convinced to do that? I know some think its just a gimic for KKW to raise funds but its well worth it and again in commercial competition why not? You meet some great people and will have a good time.