What is the Kukkiwon?

J

JanneM

NGB is nationla taekwondo assosiation that is affiliated with WTF (and Kukkiwon too)

I think in U.S.A. USAT is NGB. Here in Finland FTF (Finnish Taekwondo Federation) is NGB.

There can be only one NGB in country.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
Miles thank you very much for answering my questions.
You are welcome.

Andy Cap said:
Do you have to belong to the WTF to test @ the Kukkiwon? The reason I ask this is that people say there is no such thing as a WTF black belt, yet who does the Kukkiwon test if not WTF people?
No, individuals do not belong to the WTF (see below). To test for dan certification at the Kukkiwon, you have to arrange it with Kukkiwon. It is far easier (and cheaper) to test with someone authorized in your country to certify dan certication. In the USA, a Kukkiwon 4th dan and above may certify students for dan rank through Kukkiwon.

Here is some information from the WTF's website (www.wtf.org) concerning its' members:

"The World Taekwondo Federation is the International Federation [IF] governing the sport of Taekwondo and is a member of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations [ASOIF]. The WTF recognizes national Taekwondo governing bodies recognized by the NOC in the pertinent country, one in each country, as its members."

Miles

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
So, what is a "National Governing Body"? Does this mean Any organization that has over a certain number of members?
No, I don't think the number of members has anything to do with it. Each country has a NOC or National Olympic Committee. This NOC recognizes a domestic Taekwondo organization as its NGB. The NGB then becomes a member of the WTF.

Andy Cap said:
BTW - where do you all get this info? Is it something some guy told you once, or does the Kukkiwon actually have this information posted somewhere? I don't mean that sarcastically at all - I am seriously wondering where to reference this stuff.
My information has come from many sources-my instructor, my seniors, the Kukkiwon Instructor Course,...I am sorry to say that I don't know if it is on the Kukkiwon website or not.

Miles

A

Andy Cap

Thank you again :) Unfortunately, the KKW site does not appear to have been updated for years. It doesn't really have any info in regards to organizational relationships or how it is really set up.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately beauracracies are not easy beasts to navigate nor are they meant to be. You are looking at three major bodies the IOC (International Olympic Committee), the WTF and USOC they each create a lot of paper work.

I'm just sensing you still have other questions like:
1) Why is the WTF Taekwondo's governing sports body(ITF, ATA...)?
2) Why isn't it a Karate, Kenpo, Kung fu,or Muay Thai an olympic sport?

These questions could be the next great topic.

Good Luck

A

Andy Cap

No sir - those are not questions that I really truly care about. No offense, bu tthe sport aspect is not of interest to me. I simply want to understand the KKW and WTF and their relationship.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
No sir - those are not questions that I really truly care about. No offense, but the sport aspect is not of interest to me. I simply want to understand the KKW and WTF and their relationship.
Sorry, the relationship exisits because of the sport aspects of Kukkikwon TKD. Theorectically, if there was another organization that could promote sport TKD signifgicantely better, the WTF could reconsider it's relationship with the Kukkikwon.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
No, there is no such thing as a WTF black belt. There is a Kukkiwon-certified black belt.

Miles

Well put. Those of us BBs are simply registered and certified by the Kukkiwon. Olympic sport TKD revolves around the WTF, and here in the States around USA Taekwondo (USTU)... :asian:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
And yet I reserect this thread again.

I am an ATA/ITC/ITF certified 4th Degree and a HTF certified 5th Dan. I would love to add a KKW Black Belt certification as a way to continue my TKD education. How would be the best way to atain this? I'm not looking for handouts here, but I don't get that much info from the KKW websight.

-Fluffy

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
And yet I reserect this thread again.

I am an ATA/ITC/ITF certified 4th Degree and a HTF certified 5th Dan. I would love to add a KKW Black Belt certification as a way to continue my TKD education. How would be the best way to atain this? I'm not looking for handouts here, but I don't get that much info from the KKW websight.

-Fluffy

Fluffy Kukkiwon does noy recognize ITF, ATA or any other, you have to have a Kukkiwon 4th to be able to register your students through the Kukkiwon, That means getting your 1st through a 4th Kukkiwon and then testing in another yearfor second waiting three years for third and waiting another four for forth, You could possibly petition the USAT and see if they could help you get Kukkiwon though them. PM me amd I can explain later.
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Fluffy Kukkiwon does noy recognize ITF, ATA or any other, you have to have a Kukkiwon 4th to be able to register your students through the Kukkiwon, That means getting your 1st through a 4th Kukkiwon and then testing in another yearfor second waiting three years for third and waiting another four for forth, You could possibly petition the USAT and see if they could help you get Kukkiwon though them. PM me amd I can explain later.
Terry

Thanks, I'll get my school going then I'll worry about myself. First things first.

Latest Discussions