Regrets

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I regret not going to China in the early 70's with Dr. Pai when he asked me to. I also regret not moving to Fla. and living with him as a live in student when I had the chance.
I regret giving a black belt to a student when I thought he was dieing and then having him live and "stab me in the back" with my instructor a year later.
I regret the fact that the new head of my old organization did not have the balls to talk directly to me instead of getting information from third parties.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I regret not listening to the doctors in my early 20s and re-injuring my back again and again. I regret not pursuing Xingyiquan when I had the chance in my early 30s when I was divorced with no kids and no responsibility and I regret chickening out in front of a Xingyi Sifu in Beijing and backing out of training with him no matter how little time I had left there.

But that is behind me and to be honest I have to much to do now to waste time thinking about it

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i regret unleashing my hatred upon bullies because my hatred towards bullies has corrupted me and that hatred has destroyed my dreams of being a good martial artist and now i have released my hate and replaced it with harmony and for the first time ever i don't hate bullies but feel sorry towards them. i regret feeling supearor towards other teenagers because i thought they would never change and they were failures in life.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What regrets (if any) do you have in your training history?

Personally I wish I would have started alot earlier in life.
I don't regret starting later in life. I do, however, look at the kids in my class and think about how good they're going to be and how lucky they are to get started so young. One kid in my class is 17, very close to getting his purple belt and has all the tools and talent needed to become an elite level grappler. Couldn't be prouder.

I have often regretted not going to class. But not once, no matter how tired or worn down I felt, have I regretted going to class.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i regret unleashing my hatred upon bullies because my hatred towards bullies has corrupted me and that hatred has destroyed my dreams of being a good martial artist and now i have released my hate and replaced it with harmony and for the first time ever i don't hate bullies but feel sorry towards them. i regret feeling supearor towards other teenagers because i thought they would never change and they were failures in life.

You are at the start of your journey in life and in martial arts, you have learned good lessons and I think you will make a very good martial artist who never stops learning and will be a good teacher. Your hatred hasn't corrupted you, just led you astray for a while, you are back on the right path now. :)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I regret taking a long layoff from training, during which I gained 75lbs. I've lost a little of it, and I can still do the techs fine, but I can't snap the side kick like i want, I can hook kick like I want, because my leg muscles are not what they were. The improvements are coming, just not as fast as when I was young.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started when I was 17. I worked my way up to where I was just getting ready to test for Black Belt and for a variety of reasons, I didn't. I sat on my butt for 20 years and then got back into martial arts.

I wish I had those 20 years back.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As of today, I have 4 regrets in my training.

1.) I wish I would have been able to stick with Hawaiian Kenpo/Kajukenbo from the beginning.

2.) I wish I would have found Ashihara karate earlier in my training.

3.) I wish I would have been able to train with Pedro Sauer for the last 15 or so years.

4.) I wish I could have trained with GM Hee Il Cho at the beginning of my TKD training.

These are the things I wish I would have been able to do. I would not change my training in EPAK, as I find the opportunity to be guided by John Sepulveda to be a super great thing.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I had listened to my body rather than trying to keep up with the all the other cool kids a couple years ago. I probably wouldn't have this ongoing back tweak today. :whip:

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have no regrets. Call me an idiot, but I believe in Divine Perfection and I think everything happens for a reason.

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My regrets would be taking a 9 year break from the arts throughout the majority of my 20's, after having training through a large part of my childhood.

I would probably be in better knick than I am now (mentally and physically), despite playing soccer and rugby during my time away from it all.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No regrets. I do "evaluate" my training history so to speak, but the "if only I`d done this or that" mindset has little value. Instead I try to understand why things seemed and happened as they did, how I made my choises and what I can learn from them with the knowledge I have now in the present. Walk foreward, but instead of rushing occationally take a step back and the path will be wider.

Latest Discussions