Getting shorter and how to avoid it.

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey.

Unfortunately, there comes a stage in your life when you start getting shorter.
Does it happen because the cartilage in your body wears out? (Any other reasons?)

are there any ways to avoid getting shorter or at least delay the arrival of this stage? (At what age does it usually begin?)

Thank you.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to get shorter. Most people get shorter due to spine curvature, or discs in the spine compressing. Do your "core work" and you can stay pretty much the same height your entire life.

CORE WORK is the key. This is to say work your core.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ATC speaks the truth. As someone with a bulging disk (L5), I've had to make a special effort to build and maintain the muscles around my core. Lots of stretching (I do yoga, too) is another way of keeping your body as fit as possible during the inevitable aging process.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Could you elaborate on that core work?
What does it mean?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You want to strengthen your stomach and back muscles. In physical therapy, after the initial symptoms of acute pain are relieved, the trainer usually works with the patient on non-stressful methods of building muscle in those areas. They start you out with planks and other exercises based on using your own body weight to offer resistance. As you get stronger, you can start to use bar bells and other aids.

An important aspect of this is to EQUALIZE the lower back muscles which are frequently weaker than the muscles in the front, increasing your chances for injuring yourself later.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are several structural changes that may occur while we advance in age. A phenomenon known as the process of Creep, Hysteresis, and Set.

Creep: change in length of a ligament or capsule when a continuous force is applied to it over time. Rearrangement of collagen, proteoglycans and water occur. Any collagenous tissue can undergo creep by activities of daily living (ADL) such as postural syndromes and lifestyle habits, and ADL is probably single most important factor in the creep process. Older people are more susceptible but the effect varies in response to injury and disease.

Hysteresis: change in tissue behaviour after creep has occurred. This reflects loss of energy due to prolonged stress. During hysteresis there is permanent deformation; collagen & proetoglycan bonds are strained and water is lost. There is also a loss of “Normal Tissue Tone” AKA “Turgor” or “viscoelasticity” (which is ability of tissue to resume its shape and structure after deformation).

Set: The difference between the original shape or length and the final shape or length. A good example is the post partum abdomen, where some women have regained their figure and others have not. Because collagen fibres are broken, the tissue is more susceptible to injury. This is not irreversible, as some restoration may occur over time and water may be reabsorbed.

Creep, Hysteresis and Set are primarily responsible for "postural" changes that occur with advanced age. Spinal compression fractures, anterior head carriage, nutation of the pelvis, also account for loss of standing height.

Incidentally, creep, hysteresis and set are also responsible for explaining why some people have "bigger" feet (meaning they wear bigger shoes) when they are in their golden years.

Now, for prevention.. . Proper nutrition, regular exercise ( a combination of aerobic, flexibility and resistance training) will help to maintain elasticity and strength of the ligaments and muscles in your body. It may also reduce your risk of osteoporosis, and subsequently your risk of compression fractures. Maintaining proper joint biomechanics (i.e. keeping them moving/functioning properly) will also help maintain the elasticity of the ligaments and muscle that attach to that particular joint.

Hopefully I didn't give you a river when you were only asking for a glass of water, but this is kinda my area of expertise ;)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Could you elaborate on that core work?

What does it mean?

Your core musculature are the deep muscles that attach to the inside of your pelvis, your internal abdominal muscles, as well as your internal back muscles. I.E. not your six pack ab muscles or bulging back muscles, but the inner most layers. Your core muscles are responsible for stabilizing your structural foundation (your skeleton). By maintaining a strong core, it increases your balance (by maintaining fine motor control), and an increased overall strength. Pilates is specifically designed to target core muscles, all swissball (physioballs) target core muscles as well. There are many exercise programs that can target these muscles, if you would like to know more, just ask ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading SahBumNimRush's post I will modify what I said and to add stretching. So, core work and stretching. Both should be a part of your exercise program. But many already exercise and stretch but ignore the core work.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This post made me reach for the tape measure. Fortunately I have defied the odds, height within a couple of mm of when I was in my 20s.
However, it made me look for what is normal height loss.
On average, after 40, people lose about 1cm of height every 10 years. This rate accelerates after 70 (something to look forward to) and can amount to a loss of one to three inches.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003998.htm

As the article says, and as other posters have pointed out, we can take steps to reduce the loss and in doing so, reduce the risk of other age-related disease. :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully I didn't give you a river when you were only asking for a glass of water, but this is kinda my area of expertise ;)

I think that just gave new meaning to the term "you have my back" :lol:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't osteoporosis cause shrinkage, also? So getting enough calcium might also be helpful....

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is one of the many reasons I love this site. Whether your feeling down, experiencing everyday problems, or having a short day :) there is something for everyone. Now on to the short day thing. There are days when I feel that I am shorter then on other days. What I have experienced, is on the short days, I may have a lot on my mind, not mentally feeling up to par, and this effects my overall out look on myself and others. There are other days when I feel 10 feet tall. If we have enough short days, I think they can become a very bad habit. Solution, I subscribe to all the above, and daily, I try to keep my head high, shoulders back, chin down. As people age it seems in their appearance, that they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. I say, old people, buck up, stop looking back and keep a good outlook. This is my thought for the day, if you see me around, I will be the tall old guy.
icon7.gif

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doesn't osteoporosis cause shrinkage, also? So getting enough calcium might also be helpful....

Yes, osteoporosis can lead to compression fractures, which in the spine equates to loss of height. The bones become so brittle and weak that the bones crumble upon itself from the imposed weight of your own body. Calcium, however, is only one part of the equation when battling osteoporosis. Although calcium is the mineral that strengthens bones, there are several variables to keep in mind on what is causing the loss of bone density.

Wolfe's Law states that every change in the form and the function of a bone or in the function of the bone alone, leads to changes in its internal architecture and in its external form. Basically, your bone density is directly related to it's imposed demand. If you never stress a load through the bone, the body resorbs the calcium from it. As martial artists, think about your forearms, shins, feet, knuckles, etc.. . After years of bone "conditioning" you have imposed a greater demand upon your bones, and therefore your body has laid down a more dense calcium matrix in them.

Exercise, particularly resistance training is very important in osteopenic and osteoporotic people, and often times may reverse the process. There are also hormonal changes/imbalances, that are attributed to osteoporosis. Hormones regulate both the laying down of calcium in bone and the resorption of calcium from bone back to the body.

Hope that helps ;)

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This thread is full of wisdom and good advice.
Don't listen to phonies on youtube claiming the "lattest method in core workout" which most of the times features guys who have a weak core.

I strongly endorse this thread!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can certainly understand not wanting to suffer from curvature of the spine or compressed disks in my back, but as to 'getting shorter', I say 'so what'?

I am 5-10, just barely. Once it was 'above average' for an American male, now it's on the short side. I don't really care. And whatever I shrink down to, it's still me. Anyone who has a problem with me for my height is not someone I'd want to have anything to do so, and I certainly would have no respect for them. We are what we are.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can certainly understand not wanting to suffer from curvature of the spine or compressed disks in my back, but as to 'getting shorter', I say 'so what'?

I am 5-10, just barely. Once it was 'above average' for an American male, now it's on the short side. I don't really care. And whatever I shrink down to, it's still me. Anyone who has a problem with me for my height is not someone I'd want to have anything to do so, and I certainly would have no respect for them. We are what we are.

Yeah, but it's a pain in the butt to have to alter all your pants....:wink2:

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
So much good information, thank you very much.
A special thank to SahBumNimRushfor for the words of wisdom.

Could you please specify the parts in the body which one should work on them to strengthen his core?
For example - lower back is one of them, right?

Once the parts are known, it's easy to find exercises that isolate each part.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Height discrimination can be a very real thing, but I'm not sure that was the intent of the OP. But way to bring up the important issue of HEIGHT DISCRIMINATION AWARENESS Bill! hahahaha, j/k

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just from personal experience, a great example of core exercise is the common leg lift (that's with the head and shoulders a couple of inches off the floor the entire time).

You start in the ready position, lying on your lower back, hands forming the "diamond" shape beneath the bum, legs one inch off the floor, head and shoulders 2 inches off the floor. Toes pointed at the ceiling. Begin by raising heels up about one foot, then down to one inch, repeat. Never touch heels or head to floor until the set is finished.

Today in class we did 500 leg lifts, in sets of 50 at a time, spread randomly through out the hour. :erg: I think my core is well taken care of for the week!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So much good information, thank you very much.
A special thank to SahBumNimRushfor for the words of wisdom.

Could you please specify the parts in the body which one should work on them to strengthen his core?
For example - lower back is one of them, right?

Once the parts are known, it's easy to find exercises that isolate each part.

Here is a website with good basic core exercises. There are exercises that are geared more towards martial artists, but this site will give you a solid foundation to start with, without needing any extra exercise equipment. IMO, if you are seriously interesting in awesome core strength, swissballs/physioballs will be your best friend!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

My typical swissball workout includes, kneeling on the ball while throwing a 10 lb medicine ball back and forth with a partner, 3 variations of pushups (toes on the ball/hands on the floor, using two balls, one hand on each ball, feet on the floor, and a modified military press while kneeling on the ball), planks, pike with push up, and standing squats on the ball.

But these are relatively advanced core exercises.. .

Latest Discussions