Rank Inflation

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see your 15th dan and raise you 3 dans.

There's a guy in my town who claims an 18th degree.
Apparently he's added his degrees together from various arts and came up with this magical number. And his students eat it up...he has schools all over town.
A 5th in one art is an accomplishment for a lifetime, how can he possibly accumulate enough to add up to 18????!!!!

I'm embarrassed for people to find out I do MA because of jokers like this

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about "Q-dan?" I'll license it to anyone who submits a 3 page request, and $42 dollars. I'll give a 7% discount to anyone who can figure out why a Q-dan would be the ultimate martial rank.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How about "Q-dan?" I'll license it to anyone who submits a 3 page request, and $42 dollars. I'll give a 7% discount to anyone who can figure out why a Q-dan would be the ultimate martial rank.

I'd say that the "Q" stands for questioning the Dan rank......:uhyeah:

OK!, I'll have two with no onions or relish, an order of fries and a small coke!
To go please!.............:lfao:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, 15th dan has already been taken. Hatsumi created 10th through 15th for his bujikan taijitsu people already.

This is something that I've always been a bit puzzled by... I thought that you went from 10th to 15th directly, like an express elevator, when so promoted by Hatsumi, without there actually being 11th, 12th, 13th or 14th dan levels. It's just that I've seen a lot of discussion of who's 10th and who's 15th in the Bujinkan discussions, but these other ranks never came up—do they actually exist and get awarded to people?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say that the "Q" stands for questioning the Dan rank......:uhyeah:

OK!, I'll have two with no onions or relish, an order of fries and a small coke!
To go please!.............:lfao:
Not even close... Wanna take a stab at why it's 7% off for a consolation prize? ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is something that I've always been a bit puzzled by... I thought that you went from 10th to 15th directly, like an express elevator, when so promoted by Hatsumi, without there actually being 11th, 12th, 13th or 14th dan levels. It's just that I've seen a lot of discussion of who's 10th and who's 15th in the Bujinkan discussions, but these other ranks never came up—do they actually exist and get awarded to people?

Yes they do.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The way I understand it from research is that 11th through 15th aren't really separate or superior rankings; they're more like divisions within 10th dan. Maybe kind of like post-doctoral studies... You do point out something interesting, though... I don't recall hearing about anyone in-between!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guy's are right in that they are divisions of 10th Dan but they are also awarded separately. Just google Bujinkan 13th Dan and you will find quite a few with that rank.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, 15th dan has already been taken. Hatsumi created 10th through 15th for his bujikan taijitsu people already.

Dand to slow, how about 20th or 30th? For goodness sake, how rediculous can this thing get? Don't answer that, I think I already know.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guy's are right in that they are divisions of 10th Dan but they are also awarded separately. Just google Bujinkan 13th Dan and you will find quite a few with that rank.

Good to get that straightened out—just shows how easy it is to pick up these vague impressions for one reason or another that then become slowly converted into things we think we actually know.

This is a good example of why you have to be so careful about MA history—probably a lot of stuff that people have written is 'knowledge' of just this sort.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see your 15th dan and raise you 3 dans.

There's a guy in my town who claims an 18th degree.
Apparently he's added his degrees together from various arts and came up with this magical number. And his students eat it up...he has schools all over town.
A 5th in one art is an accomplishment for a lifetime, how can he possibly accumulate enough to add up to 18????!!!!

I'm embarrassed for people to find out I do MA because of jokers like this

If my math is right, Mr 18th Dan would have to be around 194 yo. I don't know where you live, but if people are living that long, sign me up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Im going to assume its a rank actually created, by, say John DeLancie?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If my math is right, Mr 18th Dan would have to be around 194 yo. I don't know where you live, but if people are living that long, sign me up.

Crappy martial arts or not, I have to hand it to him. He's very spry for his age.

Latest Discussions