Being a master

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not a master of anything and probably never will be. However the term 'master' is thrown about so much in MA circles i sometimes feel that it has lost all meaning.

so, What does being a master mean to you?

I am not sure how many we have on this board but it would be great to hear from them.

is it enough to hold a belt of a specific rank? it does, or is meant to, show dedication to a particular system for many years and through hard work and study you have reached a point where you truly understand the art.

A few issues on this is you are studying a man made system, so what is there to truly understand? is all mastery then, mastery of self?

I am sure we have all seen either in person or on YouTube teachers with 8th, 9th, or even 10th degrees that don't move well, and maybe don't represent themselves or their art very well. They come off as arrogant, egotistical and selfish. Whereas this is a well known issue it may point to what a master is not.

To go a step further than this, there has been a number of instances where high ranking instructors have been found out to be involved in a number of illegal activities often involving money or relationships with students.

Does a master have to have great fighting abilities, if so in what arena?

This is not a thread to flame anyone out there but rather to define a destination of mastery.

All input welcome

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "Master" is whatever your organization says it is, basically. For some, that's a particular rank, for others, it's more nebulous.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not a master of anything and probably never will be. However the term 'master' is thrown about so much in MA circles i sometimes feel that it has lost all meaning.

so, What does being a master mean to you?

I am not sure how many we have on this board but it would be great to hear from them.

is it enough to hold a belt of a specific rank? it does, or is meant to, show dedication to a particular system for many years and through hard work and study you have reached a point where you truly understand the art.

A few issues on this is you are studying a man made system, so what is there to truly understand? is all mastery then, mastery of self?

I am sure we have all seen either in person or on YouTube teachers with 8th, 9th, or even 10th degrees that don't move well, and maybe don't represent themselves or their art very well. They come off as arrogant, egotistical and selfish. Whereas this is a well known issue it may point to what a master is not.

To go a step further than this, there has been a number of instances where high ranking instructors have been found out to be involved in a number of illegal activities often involving money or relationships with students.

Does a master have to have great fighting abilities, if so in what arena?

This is not a thread to flame anyone out there but rather to define a destination of mastery.

All input welcome

A "Master" is in my view based on years in the martial arts world reading and learning and practicing myself, one who is proficient and an expert in the subject matter.

Also called.......... "Subject - Matter - Experts" - (S.M.E's)

More info here:- Subject-matter expert - Wikipedia

This is only accomplished through many long years of laborious long periods of studying theory and practical application and also many other areas of personal interaction and professionalism in way of thinking and managing self.

A Resume track record of accomplishment in the field and or endeavor of pursuit to obtain high status a senior in rank or authority to voice ones teaching and instructing ability.

A qualified individual who has proven and obtained credentials and/or certifications in an open Forum as a testimony of attainment.

Areas of expertise would be:-

• The martial art style
  • Other knowledge of martial arts tested and experimented with or against
  • A highly or accomplished ranked individual at the very top in that martial art style
  • Knowledge of the human body
  • Knowledge of scientific principles like Leverage and or Resistance push n pull concepts
  • Historical studies
  • Experienced in Weaponry
  • Experienced in professional competition or served in the defense force in hand to hand combat
  • Management of self and others
  • Training and coaching
  • Fitness and health
  • Ethics and behaviors
  • How to set up a martial art environment
  • Traditions and beliefs
  • Communication
  • Responsibilities and account abilities awareness
  • Simply tried and tested............. etc............ to many to add here.

Thats a concise view and overall capture of what a "Master" is in the martial arts world in a modern cultural setting! ;)

Anything else would not even stand in a court of law as a needed expert in the field of martial arts.

To ether assist and give a professional opinion on a matter of legality concerning life and preservation of life in murder or other cases brought forward in a court of law.

I hope that is accurate enough!

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see the term used much as a descriptor (he is a master of ______). I see it used in some arts as a title, rank, or honorific. If it’s a title, it is either bestowed when the person is ready (like “Sifu” appears to be in some CMA). If a rank, it is reached like other ranks. If an honorific, it is sometimes similar to “sensei”, and sometimes used as a higher level of recognition.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is generally just the head guy of that style isnt it?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the ATA, to become a master, you first have to achieve the rank of 6th Degree Black Belt. You then go through a year of specialized training, including two massive training sessions with the GM and other high ranks. The second one is the more difficult, as it include a 9 day fast (3 days reducing food intake, 3 days no food intake, 3 days increasing food intake). The 6th day of the fast is usually the last day of physical training and they push you HARD! After that, we have the induction ceremony and gain the title of Master.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the ATA, to become a master, you first have to achieve the rank of 6th Degree Black Belt. You then go through a year of specialized training, including two massive training sessions with the GM and other high ranks. The second one is the more difficult, as it include a 9 day fast (3 days reducing food intake, 3 days no food intake, 3 days increasing food intake). The 6th day of the fast is usually the last day of physical training and they push you HARD! After that, we have the induction ceremony and gain the title of Master.
Does the title master have any practical purpose in ATA, or is it more of a "for yourself" thing?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does the title master have any practical purpose in ATA, or is it more of a "for yourself" thing?
I think it's more of an acknowledgement of dedication to the art. To be even considered for Mastership means you've put at least 20 years of solid work. It's most assuredly not an honorary title.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On the other hand, in Korea I'm told they'll call any Dan holder "Master" so...
My experience is they call you nothing until 4th, then you are Sabom. Master is not a word that gets used in Korea or in Korean.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's more of an acknowledgement of dedication to the art. To be even considered for Mastership means you've put at least 20 years of solid work. It's most assuredly not an honorary title.
I wasn't suggesting it's an honorary title, it sounds like something you would have to earn. I just couldn't personally see myself fasting for 9 days while training unless there was some sort of practical purpose, but to each his own.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The fast is a purification ritual of sorts. And it is not mandatory, especially if someone has dietary issues or something like diabetes or hypoglycemia that is controlled through a strict diet. It's just one of the hoops we jump through that makes the training meaningful to us as a student of martial arts.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care for the title "master" in martial arts. In English, at least, it sounds pretentious to my ears. "Grandmaster" is even worse.

If you train in an art where "master" is an official rank title (as in TKD), then I can't fault you for that, as long as you don't flaunt the title in people's faces.

I do train in Capoeira, where one of the upper rank titles is "Mestre", which translates to "master." That doesn't bug me so much, probably because I'm not a Portuguese speaker and don't know whether the term carries the same connotations in that language as it does in English.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't care for the title "master" in martial arts. In English, at least, it sounds pretentious to my ears. "Grandmaster" is even worse.

If you train in an art where "master" is an official rank title (as in TKD), then I can't fault you for that, as long as you don't flaunt the title in people's faces.

I do train in Capoeira, where one of the upper rank titles is "Mestre", which translates to "master." That doesn't bug me so much, probably because I'm not a Portuguese speaker and don't know whether the term carries the same connotations in that language as it does in English.
My teacher has the title Shuseki Shihan, which corresponds with his 7th dan. I have no problem calling him that. I wouldn't like to call him "high master" (loosely translated) in English, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't want to be called that either. If I ever called him that in English, I'm sure he'd laugh and say "what the hell is wrong with you" or think I was being condescending.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
is it possible the term master in english has bad connotations due to slavery ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could discuss 'Mistress' of course so much more fun than 'master'. ;)

Latest Discussions