rank in a new school

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we were having a discussion one night about what happens if you have a certain belt in kempo then go to another school. Do you pick up where you left off at the other school? Do you have a private test to see where you fall in in the new school? Or do you start over from white belt? I'm happy where I am but there's one person who keeps griping over and over and I told this person to go to her friends school if she's not happy. She says she doesn't want to start over from white again. I know there are different types of kempo. Like IKKA, etc. Different curriculum, chinese, Japanese, shaolin. I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks.:)

K

Kenpomachine

If you change systems, then you just start from scratch.

If the school shares your curriculum, then the belt should be no issue.

If it's the same system and the curriculum is different, you should be able to keep your belt, but may want to do as Nightingale and put on a white while in class and use only your previous rank in tourneys and championships...

But it usually depends on the head of the school, so the only way to know should be going and asking.

In my case I had forgotten all except short one, but the instructor told me to keep my rank.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
If you change systems, then you just start from scratch.

WOW! I didn't know there was such a black and white rule about it! :eek:

K

Kenpomachine

Ok, at least in Spain, when you move from kenpo to karate, or kung fu, or TKD or whatever, you have to beging from white. Is that better? :)

You won't certainly move the same that a white as you already have a background which makes it easier to grasp movements, but you also have to learn the differences between your old and new system, no matter how subtle they seem.

Maybe what I call system is not what you understand as system?

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by jeffkyle
WOW! I didn't know there was such a black and white rule about it! :eek:

it is still TODAY. Start from the beginning

M

MisterMike

I think that by switching styles you can expect to go back to white belt. If the styles are similar, you may advance quicker however.

If you stay within the same style, you might be allowed to wear your rank, but there may be a bit of a longer review period before geting any new rank.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you switch systems you should at least MENTALLY put yourself as a white belt.

P

pknox

Good point, Ender. Actually, ALL of us should think that way, whether we're switching styles or not. In my opinion, the best way to handle it would be to go in assuming you'd be a white belt, but be up front with your new instructor about your prior training, and ask him/her what the rank policy is. If you have earned a higher rank, it may be possible to "test out" to a certain rank, or advance at a more accelerated pace. Obviously, if you were a yellow, you might not have as much of a chance of knowing some of the material than if you were a 1st brown. This would only apply if you were switching to a similar style -- say American Kenpo to Shaolin Kempo, or Taekwondo to Tang Soo Do. You most likely will not know the forms, but you may know the basic techniques and/or concepts, which will help, especially in the beginning. If you are going from karate to judo, or kendo to jiu jitsu, though, you're amost definitely starting at white again, because there would be almost no knowledge transfer. Bottom line -- ask the instructor, ideally before you make the switch.

K

Kroy

You should be in it for the love of training, not what your wearing.:karate:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When a new student comes to my school with previous ranking, wearing their same belt depends upon how similar the styles and curriculums are.
If its a different style, then they start at white. I do encourage them by letting them know that no one can take their knowledge or experience from them and that they are likely to move along more quickly than the other new students since they have previous experience.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
......with you whereever you go. that way you wont have to defend the belt you are wearing. People will accept you more as a student.

Is it that hard to be humble ?????

You actions will speak for you I believe

Salute

JD

C

CoolKempoDude

i know some instructor will let his/her new student wear previous belt but this student has to study white belt techniques

i find this practice very common

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Instructor in charge of the school should decide, or have a rule. Or their organizations should have a rule on the belt issue.

Yet, as many have mentioned the white belt attitude is required to learn. What I mean is that is I ignore the beginning techniques for the advanced ones, I may lack in some basics or understanding of those basics.

i.e. I have a Calculus Class then deicde to take some business courses, and they require Business Calculus. I could go and jump right in, yet I would not understand the basic principals as applied to business versus theoretical mathematics or engineering.

So, no matter what your school offers you, start over and learn the new stuff from the begining to understand the progresion and the technique building.

Enjoy
:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel
we were having a discussion one night about what happens if you have a certain belt in kempo then go to another school. Do you pick up where you left off at the other school? Do you have a private test to see where you fall in in the new school? Or do you start over from white belt? I'm happy where I am but there's one person who keeps griping over and over and I told this person to go to her friends school if she's not happy. She says she doesn't want to start over from white again. I know there are different types of kempo. Like IKKA, etc. Different curriculum, chinese, Japanese, shaolin. I'd appreciate some input on this. Thanks.:)
Are you speaking of same art, different instructor?

I'd have to say that if you are in the same art, the decision is your new instructor's. Just follow their lead.

If you are getting into a new art, it's only fair and logical that you start over as a white belt I'd think. In my opinion, it'd also end up being the most beneficial for you in the long run.

When I was in my teens I went from a TKD school to a GoJu Ryu school. Strangly enough my TKD school did some of the same kata that the GoJu school did. (ODD) So I sat down with the instructor who told me that he'd leave it to me if I wanted to stay at the same rank. I asked him if I could come in as a white and work my way through. He said that he respected my intent but said that it wouldn't be fair to the other white belts in the class. When I asked him why this was he said "Imagine being one of the other white belts saying 'why can't I move like John?' 'Why can't I pick up on forms like John does?'... so I started with the 2nd belt instead and worked up from there.

Essentially, in the end... just ask what the 'new' instructor thinks/wants... then do like the Romans do.

Your Brother (who's not Roman)
John

Latest Discussions