Rant

K

KanoLives

Hello all,

I know I haven't posted to much but I have read a lot of interesting things on this website and enjoy it very much. I just wanted to rant becuase of someone I know that also studies Martial Arts really bugs me. I study Chinese Kempo and he studies a Fillipino art. Now we practice together sometimes but he gets really annoying because he starts knockin Kempo. Saying things to the effect that Chinese Kempo isn't an as effective art. I just try and tell him that he's not studying it and wouldn't know. I'm no where near the point of demonstrating what Chinese Kempo is about but I'm not bad either. He also finds it hilarious that I'm a yellow belt after only a month (but I have been studying for about 2 months). While he's still a white belt in his art and has been for about six months. I told him it's just differences in the Arts and the schools but he still acts like Chinese Kempo is a totally weak art. Well anyway I hope that one day he will just recognize that we are both Martial Artist and that it's not about the belts (though I do understand they are goals to achieve) or about who's art is better. It's just about doing it for yourself. Thanks for reading I'm finished ranting. Later. :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:soapbox:

YO!

That is just not Right. I study FMA's and I value the input of other arts. :cool:

Yet, I see where the issue may lie. You have been training for about 2 months you say and he has been trainng about 6 months. Neither long enough to understand either art seriously, and I assume that neither of you have trained in other arts before either. So, it is an issue of learning that many a person goes through similar to 'My Dad can beat up your Dad.'

I wish you luck. :D :asian:

End of :soapbox:

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
:soapbox:

YO!

That is just not Right. I study FMA's and I value the input of other arts. :cool:

Yet, I see where the issue may lie. You have been training for about 2 months you say and he has been trainng about 6 months. Neither long enough to understand either art seriously, and I assume that neither of you have trained in other arts before either. So, it is an issue of learning that many a person goes through similar to 'My Dad can beat up your Dad.'

I wish you luck. :D :asian:

End of :soapbox:

I agree with ya. I mean he shows me things and I show him things. I like the combos and moves he shows me but I don't act like his art is inferior. I take it in stride. Like ya know it's interesting to see how the Arts differ. I have to admit though we have done light sparring together and I guess it comes down to the fact that I might be a little more athletic than him. So maybe he gets a little mad. I don't know. Thanks for the input.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do FMA and was just saying the other night that I thought Chinese Kempo was a very good system.

Perhaps your friend's teacher often states why he or she thinks their art's methods are better than other arts' methods and your friend has the zealotry of a convert. In my experience, while their are some truly bad arts out there, for the most part it's paper-scissors-rock. In making an art, one makes choices. That gives it strengths and weaknesses. Try to make an art with no weaknesses and you'll find that that doesn't work either.

As to your Chinese Kempo: If it feels good, do it.