Racist martial arts instructor?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before reading this, my claim is the entire white race in Europe has bottle necked, more than once; so, it wont help your cause.

I suppose you know that Europe isn't populated by 'white' races? I don't mean immigrants I mean those who are indigenous to the areas they live in such as the Sami, Basques, Bretons, Celts etc. There's also the Roma. There are ethnic groups like this all over Europe which actually encompasses over 50 countries.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the reason/cause of deaths from rear naked chokes applied by LEOs is that they do not know how to properly apply a rear naked choke.
That is certainly part of it as well. I was just using the overall idea to point out the correlation vs causation error as a possibility

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose you know that Europe isn't populated by 'white' races? I don't mean immigrants I mean those who are indigenous to the areas they live in such as the Sami, Basques, Bretons, Celts etc. There's also the Roma. There are ethnic groups like this all over Europe which actually encompasses over 50 countries.
I am aware of those few.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wait a minute. At this point, who hasn't successfully taken over the British Isles? LOL. England's history is essentially, "these guys were quietly fighting amongst themselves, when those guys invaded. Those guys eventually took over, settled down and mixed in, where they began quietly fighting amongst themselves. Then these new guys showed up, invaded and eventually took over." Repeat about a dozen times. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The traveling Basque? :rolleyes:

Vikings, they were everywhere, Russia, Turkey, North Africa, North America. They became the Normans and the Sicilians. The Cornish, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish have always moved because of the poverty of their countries, Cornish miners have lived and worked in every part of the world. The Dutch of course had many of their people move to South Africa.
The Basque were a persecuted people so yes they moved, they founded Chile for a start. 2.5 million Basques live there. Others are all over France, Spain and Portugal as well as the other South American countries and the USA.

Numerous wars including two world wars have meant people in Europe have resettled many times, moving from country to county, hell, even the countries moved, borders changed, people moved, new countries came into being, others were invaded or subsumed, The Eastern Bloc moved great numbers of people from place to place. Europe has always been and still is a very fluid place.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vikings, they were everywhere, Russia, Turkey, North Africa, North America. They became the Normans and the Sicilians. The Cornish, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish have always moved because of the poverty of their countries, Cornish miners have lived and worked in every part of the world. The Dutch of course had many of their people move to South Africa.
The Basque were a persecuted people so yes they moved, they founded Chile for a start. 2.5 million Basques live there. Others are all over France, Spain and Portugal as well as the other South American countries and the USA.

Numerous wars including two world wars have meant people in Europe have resettled many times, moving from country to county, hell, even the countries moved, borders changed, people moved, new countries came into being, others were invaded or subsumed, The Eastern Bloc moved great numbers of people from place to place. Europe has always been and still is a very fluid place.
A fluid place of close knit communities.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just got my DNA report from Ancestry.com, and it says that I'm 87% Scandinavian, and a bunch of other stuff. I thought I was more German than that, but apparently even my German ancestors were Norse. I figure my Viking roots are the source of my striking good looks, intelligence, and sense of humor. I'm told I'm stubborn, and have a well documented problem with authority. But, the good news is that my wind pipe reinflates correctly. So... I have that going for me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
d
The traveling Basque? :rolleyes:

Sure. Out here in Arizona some of our early non indigenous settlers in the territorial times (late 1800s) were Basque sheep herders. I personally know several families who are proudly of Basque decent.

@Tez: Help me out here (I just stumbled onto this thread and apologize if this has already been dealt with) but what does "White" mean these days. I used to think that all "Caucasian" peoples where some kind of
"White" --including Middle Easterners, many South Asians, and pretty much all people of European descent.

Nowdays it seems to be more narrowly defined to include certain ethnicities connected with politically dominant groups of powerful Western European nations, the U.S. and Canada. ...like what used to be called WASPS (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants). Among young people "White" has taken on an almost deprecatory tone. Especially among know-it-all uber progressive young "White" people like my daughter. I embarrass her so much :oops:.

At any rate, in the UK you mean to say that Celts are not "White"? How about Jews? Red-headed Irishmen??? If so, I had no idea! I guess I travel less than a Basque.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's less about being 'white' in the UK than being 'English' hence why Brits often get very annoyed when people say 'the Queen of England' and 'you live in England right' when talking to Brits. The UK is made up a few countries, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Cornwall with the Shetland Islands coming in later. Each of these feels to some extent or other subjugated by the English who have at some time invaded their countries. Languages were forbidden, people moved ( the Highland Clearances and the Irish Potato Famine for example). Everything was ruled from London and everyone who was not English was quite simply inferior . The Englishman ( not women though!) was the perfect white man who was the superior to all others. He had a duty to bring civilisation to the natives ( this included the Scots, Irish and Welsh of course) and would behave like a benevolent dictator. This was fostered and still is actually by the public school system ( Public schools of course being the very expensive private schools) so like our class system, where saying the middle class needs more help would bring derision from all sides, the perception of colour is somewhat different from how it is in the USA. We've had black people here since the Romans. Britain's first black community in Elizabethan London - BBC News.
Having colonies which were regarded as paternalistic made British people used to all sorts of creeds and colours, didn't mean there wasn't prejudice of course but we've never had slavery on home soil ( what went on 'out there' was often ignored until the great abolitionists started campaigning) so black people have never been regarded in the same way as they can be in the USA.

While we have the nasty groups like UKIP, BNP and EDL who are neo Nazis ( yes that UKIP with the Nazi Nigel Farage) and hate just about everyone, stirring up hatred for Muslims in particular at the moment ( it doesn't matter how much you tell them Muslim isn't a race, they continue to believe it), race isn't such an issue here as it is in the USA. By the way to us and Europeans, in fact the rest of the world you are all just Americans whatever you call yourselves, sometimes it's 'bloody Yanks' lol but you are all just Americans to us and we don't use word like 'Black British' or 'Asian British' in the same way as you seem to differentiate. So for us basically, being British ( or English lol) is the important thing not the colour as much. Everyone else is 'them'.

'Them' is the important difference not colour, Jews, Celts, Irishmen et al are 'them' not 'us'. We use words to find out whether they are them or us, that's why English is such a minefield here. what words you use define what you are. A black person who uses the right words is 'us' a Scotsman who doesn't is 'them'. Take for example meals... what do you call the meal taken in the middle of the day and then in the evening? that is quite likely to define your place in our society! Here too your class is still the important thing whatever Thatcher thought, it is still simply divided on class, money will never make you anything other than rich.

Life here I suppose is complicated for non Brits, many books have been written about the class system, the cultural divide and the way we live. some complain here how immigrants don't assimilate but it's hard not to blame them when we have so many unspoken rules about your place in society. This isn't a political comment by the way but it is noticeable when we have a public school educated Prime Minister and government such as Cameron's how things regress back into Victorian ideas of paternalism and how they 'know best' lol. Have a look at Boris Johnson our Foreign Minster's manner with the 'natives' (yep that's Americans too lol). His comments aren't meant in a racist way he just opens his mouth and out trot all the old colonial bonhomie platitudes visiting bigwigs used to come with to pat the natives on the back with. Then everyone cringes and his aides have to back pedal and spin what he's said. His ilk is why everyone non English hates the English and prefers just about anyone else from anywhere in the world.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fail to see any difference between Africans and other ethnicities other than skin tone and facial structure.

Oooo, a Pembroke corgi as your avatar, there's tidy, rare bred these days and Welsh! Not English, bloody Welsh look you,

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I fail to see any difference between Africans and other ethnicities other than skin tone and facial structure.

It's hard to generalize about Africans (it's a really big continent). But there are broad statistical differences in skeletal structure, fat distribution, ...all kinds of minor environmental adaptations, things like the incidence of sickle cell factor and so on. The same is true for other ethnicities. Fascinating world we live in, eh?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the world is divided into attractive people and non attractive people, things that make people unattractive are being mean spirited, racism, anti Semitism, bullying,prejudiced, closed mindedness etc. etc. An attractive person is one who is humane, generous, kind, thoughtful etc. etc. Basically, you are either a cockwomble or a decent human being.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ancient writings described the Scythians as a bunch of lunatics, but they attributed it to their diet. The jury is still out, on that one. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The ancient writings described the Scythians as a bunch of lunatics, but they attributed it to their diet. The jury is still out, on that one. :)

Heck, by that standard, I must be part Scythian!

Hey ...just noticed that this is post number 5,000! That proves that posting more doesn't mean posting better.

Latest Discussions