What IS racism?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, rather than continue to spar with billi over on his "What isn't" thread, I thought a more cogentn and measured examination of the issue might be in order. We've been here before, of course, but it might be worthy of some attention again.

Firstly, from the Merriam-Webster English Language Technical Manual (that's engineerspeak for "dictionary" :lfao: ):

[h=2]rac·ism[/h] noun \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
[h=2]Definition of RACISM[/h]1
: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

: racial prejudice or discrimination

— rac·ist \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

So, one definition says that belief that race determines traits and capacities is racist, or that differences produce an inherent superiority is racist, or that prejudice or discrimination are racist.Let's roll with that.

When Obama called his grandmother a "typical white person" that was somewhat racist. Was it less racist than Rush Limbaugh saying that the NFL had a vested interest in a successful black quarterback (at a time when there were numerous black quarterbacks) or Jimmy the Greek talking about black athleticism being a consequence of selective breeding of slaves? I don't know. I know Jimmy the Greek got shafted-there's an element of truth to what he was saying, but no one dares to speak of it. I know Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat idiot-and what he said was racist , superfluous, and idiotic: at the time he made those comments about Donovan McNabb, the NFL had a bunch of successful black quarterbacks, and had for years. It was pretty silly. Whether either of those instances is more racist than Obama's calling his grandmother "Toot," a "typical white person" I couldn't say, though I'd say they're all equally silly.

Racism often is silly. I was in the grocery store in Los Alamos a few years back, talking with a colleague from Arkansas (Mark is a delightfully intelligent and gentle man, and a remarkably competent and coherent physicist-I stole the whole "explain it to my mother" paradigm from him) and another colleague in Spanish. A cashier in the store (who was Hispanic) remarked that she didn't know anyone with a Southern accent could speak Spanish. A silliness which points out the real root of racism: ignorance. In this country, we all too often assume that those from the south are less intelligent-that a southern accent means that a person is less smart than the rest of us. This is, of course, simply ignorant. People with southern accents are no more or less intelligent because of their accent, and to assume otherwise is a kind of racism, a sort of prejudice that assumes inherent superiority based upon a racist-or, in this case, regional trait.

I can't tell you about all the instances in my life when racism has had an impact on me. The first time that I took note of was probably in third grade, when one of my teachers, Mrs. Marantz, told me that I'd have to be a janitor when I grew up. I laughed at her: my parents had probably been telling me I was going to college since I was born, and that's what I told her: I was going to college, and going to be a marine biologist. Of course, it was 1968, in New York, not 1957 in the deep south, and my parents about tore the school down when I told them the story.

Mrs. Marantz was a silly racist, but to someone with less ego and support than myself, she could have been very hurtful.

Likewise, because of my mixed heritage, and somewhat exotic appearance( I dunno, I got curly hair, big lips and this lump of cartilage at the end of my nose; is it really that complicated? :lfao: ) people think it's perfectly alright to ask me-in variously invasive ways-what my ethnic heritage is. Like, What are you, anyway? or, sometimes, Excuse me, but what's your ethnic heritage? This isn't racist, exactly, but simply curiosity-of course, I tend to think that they wouldn't ask the "typical" Scotch-Irish/Cherokee person from Oklakhoma or Georgia this question; they'd just assume they were "white."

Native Americans-Indians, what I call 'em, 'cause we always have, and because we were "Native" before "America"-have their own little racisms, and their own little games around them. Lots of them have been really surprised at my heritage, though a few knew all along, or right from the start. Navajos, for whom the blood quanta is coupled with an entire catalogue of clan affiliations, have their own little slights and needles for black people, or people of mixed-blood. They'll nod at me about white people, call them bilgaana-"the ones you fight constantly," and call me nakaii, which means "dark Mexican," :lfao: , or zhinni, which means "ape." :rolleyes: Seems like everyone's racist, one way or another, given a chance.

When I was in 8th grade, I asked a girl out. She was white, and had come to my birthday party. We were friends, but going out? She said, and I quote, No ****ing way. Of course, I didn't know that she'd gone out with another -erm-"colorful fella", and her dad had beaten the crap out of her for it. Oh well.

Is Obama racist? Well, I'd tell anyone who wants to know to read his books, and read between the lines-make up their own mind. In my opinion, yes, Obama's racist. Maybe no more or less than the rest of us, but almost certainly racist in a-oddly enough-very typically black American way. He doesn't like white people very much. Of course, from what I've seen of black America, he's not at all alone in this, and often with good reason. While the ravings of Jeremiah Wright are viewed by mainstream America as insane, they're all too frequently believed by members of the African American community. When you have history that includes the Tuskegee "experiment," it isn't too much of a stretch to AIDS being a government invention to wipe out black people. In Obama's case, it has a lot to do with how his mother raised him, and the places where he lived, and his grandparents. It's strange, and.....sad, kinda. The man is lost, adrift in an America he has always had to make a place for himself in.

I've listened to more than my fair share of "raps" from members of the Nation of Islam, a religion that masquerades as Islam, and is racist to the core in its ideology. Blecchh!- and a :lfao: ! I also don't have much use for Afrocentrism, though it seems mostly misguided and the product of poor scholarship,desperate rather than outright malevolent. In fact, most of the afrocentrists are missing where they would be right, and looking in all the wrong places. Oh well.

I took my diver's certification at a relatively early age. Took lessons in the VA pool. Took the bus to the VA. Rode with deranged Viet Nam vets. Worst, though, was this black woman who got on the bus, and raved about how much she hated white people-scared the crap out of everyone, including me, but especially the white people.

Was she racist? Or did she come by her hate honestly? Is there such a thing as "honest hatred?"

Who's to say?

I brought a girl home from college, once. In college I went on a pretty serious Asian girl tear.:lfao: Was that racist? I dunno-I think attraction to a phenotype isn't necessarily racist, but probably has a racial component-though I didn't wind up taking an Asian bride. ANyway, I had my reasons, in retrospect.I've always thought it was partly a reaction to my frustration from 14 months of celibacy in Japan....:lfao:.... Anyway, I brought a Korean girl home from college, and my parents were nice, and polite. Later, my mother took me aside and told me to never bring a "filthy Japanese" into their home again. I pointed out that Audrey was Korean, but my mom said What's the difference? Now, mom was a kid during WWII-just old enough to understand the rape of Nanking, and all atrocities Japanese ,and to take all anti-Japanese propaganda to heart. Even 30 years later, though, that doesn't excuse her racism for me. I'm not even going to get into her anti-Semitism, which, given all the Jewish friends that she had, I've never completely understood-except that she's from Wyoming, and didn't know any Jews before coming to New York, and was taught as a child that Jews were "Christ-killers." My parents taught me to never hate anyone, and I've tried my best not to. I think I've succeeded pretty well-I raised my kids the same way, and they certainly don't hate anyone.My dad didn't hate anyone, or even make judgements based on ethnicity-he judged people by how they behaved. I try to judge people by how they behave, rather than how they appear, and that usually has worked for me, white, black or whatever.

Of course, I deal with all sorts of reactions to all sorts of things: my professional position (guy who has my job has to be white) my gorgeous, super intelligent, hyper-tomboy,Playboy girl (women of the forest service, 1987) one you were looking for when you settled for whoever you're married to, white, blonde! wife . My singing "country" music. No really. Okay, make that western music. I sing-occasionally in public, playing guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica and everythingelse they'll let me. If you're ever in New Mexico, maybe you'll find me at Los Ojos Saloon, which is right down the road from my old house,has animals and guns mounted on the walls and bullet holes in the ceiling, and where i've played a time or two. It's also where a rather gap-toothed, rednecked, Confederate flag wearing, beer-swilling, bullying ******* insisted that I couldn't be singing "Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash songs," because " a n-i-g-g-e-r has no business singing those songs." :lfao:

Of course, I wanted to kick his testicles clear up to his spectacles, but Joe Grider, the owner and fellow lab employee, had him thrown out, and had the Sandoval county sherrif waiting to take him away for drunk driving, etc., etc., etc., which was very satisfactory, since I got to keep singing......:lfao:

What is racist? Usually something ugly-though sometimes silly. Not always what we expect it to be, certainly.

Almost certainly not disbelieving in man-made global warming, or wanting the government to spend less.:rolleyes:

Of course, the case could be made that the "tea party" is at least partly a racist reaction to a black President, but what the hey.....

What do you think?

Last edited:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
almost all accusations of racism are not, i know that first hand.

first of all, we have to agree of terms.

racism versus prejudice

how do YOU see each of those terms?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
by the definition you posted this is a racist statement:

sickle cell anemia almost 100% a back persons disease.

it is also 100% true, people other than blacks with sickle cell are as rare as hens teeth

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, rather than continue to spar with billi over on his "What isn't" thread, I thought a more cogentn and measured examination of the issue might be in order. We've been here before, of course, but it might be worthy of some attention again.

Firstly, from the Merriam-Webster English Language Technical Manual (that's engineerspeak for "dictionary" :lfao: ):

So, one definition says that belief that race determines traits and capacities is racist, or that differences produce an inherent superiority is racist, or that prejudice or discrimination are racist.Let's roll with that.

When Obama called his grandmother a "typical white person" that was somewhat racist. Was it less racist than Rush Limbaugh saying that the NFL had a vested interest in a successful black quarterback (at a time when there were numerous black quarterbacks) or Jimmy the Greek talking about black athleticism being a consequence of selective breeding of slaves? I don't know. I know Jimmy the Greek got shafted-there's an element of truth to what he was saying, but no one dares to speak of it. I know Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat idiot-and what he said was racist , superfluous, and idiotic: at the time he made those comments about Donovan McNabb, the NFL had a bunch of successful black quarterbacks, and had for years. It was pretty silly. Whether either of those instances is more racist than Obama's calling his grandmother "Toot," a "typical white person" I couldn't say, though I'd say they're all equally silly.

Racism often is silly. I was in the grocery store in Los Alamos a few years back, talking with a colleague from Arkansas (Mark is a delightfully intelligent and gentle man, and a remarkably competent and coherent physicist-I stole the whole "explain it to my mother" paradigm from him) and another colleague in Spanish. A cashier in the store (who was Hispanic) remarked that she didn't know anyone with a Southern accent could speak Spanish. A silliness which points out the real root of racism: ignorance. In this country, we all too often assume that those from the south are less intelligent-that a southern accent means that a person is less smart than the rest of us. This is, of course, simply ignorant. People with southern accents are no more or less intelligent because of their accent, and to assume otherwise is a kind of racism, a sort of prejudice that assumes inherent superiority based upon a racist-or, in this case, regional trait.

I can't tell you about all the instances in my life when racism has had an impact on me. The first time that I took note of was probably in third grade, when one of my teachers, Mrs. Marantz, told me that I'd have to be a janitor when I grew up. I laughed at her: my parents had probably been telling me I was going to college since I was born, and that's what I told her: I was going to college, and going to be a marine biologist. Of course, it was 1968, in New York, not 1957 in the deep south, and my parents about tore the school down when I told them the story.

Mrs. Marantz was a silly racist, but to someone with less ego and support than myself, she could have been very hurtful.

Likewise, because of my mixed heritage, and somewhat exotic appearance( I dunno, I got curly hair, big lips and this lump of cartilage at the end of my nose; is it really that complicated? :lfao: ) people think it's perfectly alright to ask me-in variously invasive ways-what my ethnic heritage is. Like, What are you, anyway? or, sometimes, Excuse me, but what's your ethnic heritage? This isn't racist, exactly, but simply curiosity-of course, I tend to think that they wouldn't ask the "typical" Scotch-Irish/Cherokee person from Oklakhoma or Georgia this question; they'd just assume they were "white."

Native Americans-Indians, what I call 'em, 'cause we always have, and because we were "Native" before "America"-have their own little racisms, and their own little games around them. Lots of them have been really surprised at my heritage, though a few knew all along, or right from the start. Navajos, for whom the blood quanta is coupled with an entire catalogue of clan affiliations, have their own little slights and needles for black people, or people of mixed-blood. They'll nod at me about white people, call them bilgaana-"the ones you fight constantly," and call me nakaii, which means "dark Mexican," :lfao: , or zhinni, which means "ape." :rolleyes: Seems like everyone's racist, one way or another, given a chance.

When I was in 8th grade, I asked a girl out. She was white, and had come to my birthday party. We were friends, but going out? She said, and I quote, No ****ing way. Of course, I didn't know that she'd gone out with another -erm-"colorful fella", and her dad had beaten the crap out of her for it. Oh well.

Is Obama racist? Well, I'd tell anyone who wants to know to read his books, and read between the lines-make up their own mind. In my opinion, yes, Obama's racist. Maybe no more or less than the rest of us, but almost certainly racist in a-oddly enough-very typically black American way. He doesn't like white people very much. Of course, from what I've seen of black America, he's not at all alone in this, and often with good reason. While the ravings of Jeremiah Wright are viewed by mainstream America as insane, they're all too frequently believed by members of the African American community. When you have history that includes the Tuskegee "experiment," it isn't too much of a stretch to AIDS being a government invention to wipe out black people. In Obama's case, it has a lot to do with how his mother raised him, and the places where he lived, and his grandparents. It's strange, and.....sad, kinda. The man is lost, adrift in an America he has always had to make a place for himself in.

I've listened to more than my fair share of "raps" from members of the Nation of Islam, a religion that masquerades as Islam, and is racist to the core in its ideology. Blecchh!- and a :lfao: ! I also don't have much use for Afrocentrism, though it seems mostly misguided and the product of poor scholarship,desperate rather than outright malevolent. In fact, most of the afrocentrists are missing where they would be right, and looking in all the wrong places. Oh well.

I took my diver's certification at a relatively early age. Took lessons in the VA pool. Took the bus to the VA. Rode with deranged Viet Nam vets. Worst, though, was this black woman who got on the bus, and raved about how much she hated white people-scared the crap out of everyone, including me, but especially the white people.

Was she racist? Or did she come by her hate honestly? Is there such a thing as "honest hatred?"

Who's to say?

I brought a girl home from college, once. In college I went on a pretty serious Asian girl tear.:lfao: Was that racist? I dunno-I think attraction to a phenotype isn't necessarily racist, but probably has a racial component-though I didn't wind up taking an Asian bride. ANyway, I had my reasons, in retrospect.I've always thought it was partly a reaction to my frustration from 14 months of celibacy in Japan....:lfao:.... Anyway, I brought a Korean girl home from college, and my parents were nice, and polite. Later, my mother took me aside and told me to never bring a "filthy Japanese" into their home again. I pointed out that Audrey was Korean, but my mom said What's the difference? Now, mom was a kid during WWII-just old enough to understand the rape of Nanking, and all atrocities Japanese ,and to take all anti-Japanese propaganda to heart. Even 30 years later, though, that doesn't excuse her racism for me. I'm not even going to get into her anti-Semitism, which, given all the Jewish friends that she had, I've never completely understood-except that she's from Wyoming, and didn't know any Jews before coming to New York, and was taught as a child that Jews were "Christ-killers." My parents taught me to never hate anyone, and I've tried my best not to. I think I've succeeded pretty well-I raised my kids the same way, and they certainly don't hate anyone.My dad didn't hate anyone, or even make judgements based on ethnicity-he judged people by how they behaved. I try to judge people by how they behave, rather than how they appear, and that usually has worked for me, white, black or whatever.

Of course, I deal with all sorts of reactions to all sorts of things: my professional position (guy who has my job has to be white) my gorgeous, super intelligent, hyper-tomboy,Playboy girl (women of the forest service, 1987) one you were looking for when you settled for whoever you're married to, white, blonde! wife . My singing "country" music. No really. Okay, make that western music. I sing-occasionally in public, playing guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica and everythingelse they'll let me. If you're ever in New Mexico, maybe you'll find me at Los Ojos Saloon, which is right down the road from my old house,has animals and guns mounted on the walls and bullet holes in the ceiling, and where i've played a time or two. It's also where a rather gap-toothed, rednecked, Confederate flag wearing, beer-swilling, bullying ******* insisted that I couldn't be singing "Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash songs," because " a n-i-g-g-e-r has no business singing those songs." :lfao:

Of course, I wanted to kick his testicles clear up to his spectacles, but Joe Grider, the owner and fellow lab employee, had him thrown out, and had the Sandoval county sherrif waiting to take him away for drunk driving, etc., etc., etc., which was very satisfactory, since I got to keep singing......:lfao:

What is racist? Usually something ugly-though sometimes silly. Not always what we expect it to be, certainly.

Almost certainly not disbelieving in man-made global warming, or wanting the government to spend less.:rolleyes:

Of course, the case could be made that the "tea party" is at least partly a racist reaction to a black President, but what the hey.....

What do you think?

Food for thought...

(and I realize I need to go out more. I certainly do not have colorful stories like that...yep, pun unavoidable! :D)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's also a useful tool to avoid frank discussion of real issues. And it's commonly used to avoid taking personal responsibility. "I didn't really do anything WRONG, I was just selected because of my race".

Of course the idiots out there who DO indeed do wrong to people simply because of their race make it difficult to have those frank discussions. Its the old snake eating its tail thing.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
by the definition you posted this is a racist statementsickle cell anemia almost 100% a back persons diseaseit is also 100% true, people other than blacks with sickle cell are as rare as hens teeth

Well, no John, on two levels. One, it's not a racist statement. If you were to say that the sickle cell trait made people stupid, or that you weren't going to associate/hire/allow any black people because they might carry the sickle cell trait, that would be racist. Or that they all had to be janitors because of it. Just stating the fact of it isn't racist, anymore than saying that black people have darker skin is. <BR><BR>Secondly, other people that carry the trait are far from "rarer than hen's teeth." It occurs infrequently in Italians, Arabs, Greeks, Indians (from India), Native Americans, Iranians, and Turks. It actually is prevalent in West Africans: 25% of the population carry the sickle cell trait-hence its prevalence among African Americans, who are mostly descended from people stolen from western Africa.<BR><BR><BR>I also gotta wonder about "almost all accusations of racism are not, I know that first hand." But, considering the source, I'll forget about it...:rolleyes:

It's also a useful tool to avoid frank discussion of real issues. And it's commonly used to avoid taking personal responsibility. "I didn't really do anything WRONG, I was just selected because of my race".Of course the idiots out there who DO indeed do wrong to people simply because of their race make it difficult to have those frank discussions. Its the old snake eating its tail thing.

So we have another post about what racism isn't which isn't what I asked at all.

Last edited:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
<BR><BR>Just stating the fact of it isn't racist, anymore than saying that black people have darker skin is.

so saying "black people commit crimes at almost DOUBLE the RATE of whites but not because they are black" isnt racist............

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
according to my nursing instructors, we will pretty much never see anyone with sickle cell that isnt black

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that technically, there are no such things as 'races' when speaking of homo sapiens sapiens. We are all members of the same race, species, and so on. We are not different races. But when we speak of racism, we refer primarily to skin color and geographic ancestry.

I am a racist, and I am a product of racists. Racism runs in my family and it has for generations. I will explain that in more detail in a moment.

I am as white as the driven snow. My father's family came from Wales and Ireland; my mother's from Germany, Prussia, and Pomerania. To the best of my knowledge, and unlike many other multi-cultural families in the USA, I have no ancestry from anywhere other than Europe. My DNA is haplotype R1b1a2, supposedly European Ice-Age survivors.

Growing up, I was aware of my grandfathers' mutual dislike of black people. In central Illinois, it wasn't uncommon. I lived in various small towns around the Peoria area; but my grandparents lived in Peoria itself; a racially-mixed small industrial city. One worked at Caterpillar tractor company; the other at Bemis Bag. One an engineer, one a shop foreman. Both detested black people. My uncles had all fought in WWII; they detested Japanese people and by extension, anyone 'Oriental'. This was common where I lived. One of the cities I lived in, Pekin, had a high school athletic team known as "The Chinks," with a mascot that was a cartoon Chinese man with slanted eyes, yellow skin, a sampan hat, buck teeth, and a pigtail. Not kidding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekin,_Illinois

At the same time, I was living in a white man's world. The only people I knew of who were not white were on TV. The Bill Cosby Show and Flip Wilson. Once my dad had a coworker who was Japanese; he brought him to dinner once and my mother served La Choy chinese food. Pekin was, as I found out later, a 'Sundown City'.

http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sundowntowns.php

Our racism was casual. We were, by family history and basic lifestyle, racist; but not actively. My father didn't rant about black people or asian people or hispanic people (I didn't even know the word 'hispanic' or 'Mexican' growing up). We weren't haters; but we were exclusive.

When we moved to Colorado, I found myself meeting people and kids my age who were minorities, but not many. There was a black family on our block, but they were the only ones I knew of. None in my school. We had hispanic students in my school, but at the time, the preferred term was 'Chicano'. I learned about different pronunciations for family names I recognized from Illinois, like Vigil and Mondragon. If I was exposed to racism in Colorado, it was again casual. There were schools and neighborhoods in Denver that were racially-mixed, but not out in the western suburbs.

After high school, when I joined the Marines, my world changed. Suddenly I was not just exposed, but shoved in with people from every culture, every background. Urban, rural, suburban. Black, white, southern, asian, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Filipino, you name it. It exposed me to cultures, patois, slang, mannerisms, and racism; both racism that was for whites and that against whites. I adopted racist attitudes based on what I saw, what I heard.

I noticed things that bothered me. If a white Marine was jumped by blacks, he'd get no help. If a black Marine was jumped by whites, every black Marine in the vicinity would come to help. Black Marines were often friendly enough one-on-one, but in a group, the same Marine whom you thought was your friend suddenly hated your guts. I noticed blacks and women being promoted more quickly than white men; even when their 'cutting scores' were lower and they had less time-in-grade. I was a racist, but I often felt it was more of a defensive posture than anything else. I had no reason to hate black people (or any other race) specifically; but I was more than willing to believe stereotypes and to promote negative racial attitudes. I didn't object to racist jokes, I didn't mind joining in myself. I kept to my own race; we all pretty much did.

After the Marines, I went back and forth. I had periods of time when I 'got' the idea that racism was bad; but other times I felt drawn to it. I lived in many different cities, from Omaha to Denver to Milwaukee to well lots of places. I dated women from every race; my father's overt racism appeared at that time. He told me that if I 'gave him a black grandchild', he'd disown me. It was that shock to the system that made me begin to pull away from my own racism; whether it was overt, covert, or casual. I stopped telling racist jokes, stopped putting up from them in others, even my friends. I stopped pretending that such things were OK. That didn't mean I stopped being a racist. It did mean that I became aware of my racism.

At age 50, I am still affected by racist attitudes, notions, fears, and misconceptions. I live in a world in which I work with people of all races and cultures. I do not hate anyone, and I especially reject racism in my world, in my life. But it's in me; I have unreasonable fears and I have to fight them constantly. I see things that make me reach for simple answers that are racist; it's easy to see such things in Detroit. Fighting the tendency to assign easy answers to difficult situations requires conscious effort. I can't say I always win, but I can say I always try.

When I lash out at people who are saying what I perceive as racist or bigoted or hateful things, consider that it's not because I don't understand your point of view; it's because I *do* understand it, and it would be all too easy for me to join you there.

Yeah, I'm a racist. I don't know if everyone is, but I suspect we've all got some of it in us. What I can do is try not to be racist. Try not to be ruled by unreasonable fears and try not to reach for easy answers to complex problems. Trust in the basic decency of all people and in my own, and don't perpetuate my own biased attitudes. It's not easy.

What is racism? Believing in or perpetuating the myth that people whose skin color differs from one's own are different in the ways that really matter, in their humanity.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's likely true, in the U.S. In Sicily and southern Italy, though, like Calabria, you'll likely see it in Italians before you even see a black person.

part of that is caused by the simple fact that mankind has always shagged anything that didn't run fast enough....the trade routes around that puddle of ocean have been working well for millenia.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With regard to the question of crime rates amongst blacks in the USA versus crime rates amongst whites...

It is racist to demand that the question not be asked or to pretend that the statistics do not exist.

It is likewise racist to assume that the answer to the question is because of the criminal nature of blacks versus that of whites to the exclusion of all other possible reasons.

The problem with race is that one group would want us not to have the discussion because it might take us in uncomfortable directions. Another group would use data as if they were proofs to support their own biases. Both tend to silence discussion between those who seek the root causes of crime and have neither an ax to grind nor a fear of such people.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Bill, thanks again for a thoughtful and candid post.

Yeah, I'm a racist. I don't know if everyone is, but I suspect we've all got some of it in us. What I can do is try not to be racist. Try not to be ruled by unreasonable fears and try not to reach for easy answers to complex problems. Trust in the basic decency of all people and in my own, and don't perpetuate my own biased attitudes. It's not easy.

One of my martial arts teachers in college-a man who has long since retired, happily, I hope-told me during our initial interview that he was from Brooklyn, and he didn't like blacks, but that that was how he was raised and I wouldn't be his first black student, in spite of that. A lot of these things aren't easy for people to face, never mind say. There are some who can say the most racist things, and go right insisting that they're not.

On the other hand, there are people who don't even have a clue as to what it is to have a racist thought.

What is racism? Believing in or perpetuating the myth that people whose skin color differs from one's own are different in the ways that really matter, in their humanity.

QFT. :asian:

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
unless it is true, which it is, (the actual numbers are pretty close to double, i checked) thanks for playing, you dont get to go to the next round.. sorry

Remember when I said it's not racist if it's a real statistic?

Which "actual numbers" did you check, exactly?

What you said was:

so saying "black people commit crimes at almost DOUBLE the RATE of whites but not because they are black" isnt racist............

And I don't know what "almost DOUBLE the RATE of whites" means. Certainly, if it's a per capita thing, then one could say something about crimes committed per capita. In any case, the arrest statistics for 2009 from the FBI show:

With the first figure being total number of arrests that year, the second being the number of arrested white, and the third being the number of arrested blacks.

Percentage wise, as shown on the chart, this works out to 69.1% of all crimes being committed by "whites," and 28.3 by "blacks." Of course, if you look at the black populace of the U.S. being only 12.84% of the population, this is still a pretty staggering statistic, but all it really says it that a lot of blacks get arrested-though it does get even more interesting when broken down by crime.

In any case, what numbers were they that you checked, John?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might i jump in here, and say that Black Neighbourhoods are likely less Safe - Albeit that this is more a Result of it being a Slum, and that there is in fact Less Crime due to the reduced number of People who actually go through?

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Might i jump in here, and say that Black Neighbourhoods are likely less Safe - Albeit that this is more a Result of it being a Slum, and that there is in fact Less Crime due to the reduced number of People who actually go through?

You'd be wrong on several counts. The vast majority of crimes blacks are arrested for are perpetrated against people of their own ethnicity. Crime rates are higher in slums.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dont play stupid Jeff.

that was just an example, and it is factual:

http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.pdf

but that is besides the point, the point is, "what is racism"

and the problem is, it is different things to different people. For some, like those jackasses Jackson and Sharpton, EVERYTHING is racism.

for others, like me, not much is, and most claims of racism are BS.

eye of the beholder and all that

Latest Discussions