Quotes, Proverbs, and Maxims

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonour.

But I believe that nonviolence is infinitely superior to violence, forgiveness is more manly than punishment. Forgiveness adorns a soldier...But abstinence is forgiveness only when there is the power to punish; it is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature....

But I do not believe India to be helpless....I do not believe myself to be a helpless creature....Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I've posted this in the past, and quote the first line in my signature. Gandhi is well known as a non-violent activist. However, he had strong feelings on the subject of cowardice. As he says above, if you lack the will and the capacity for violence, then for you, non-violence isn't a choice. Or said the other way, you can only choose to be non-violent if you have the capacity and the will to be violent.

Another, related quote: "He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by nonviolently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully." - Gandhi

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of my favorite quotes, and it constantly gets misinterpreted by people who've never heard/read the entire speech...

"Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."
- Vince Lombardi

If you think that quote is is politically incorrect or not the right mentality to have, read Lombardi's ENTIRE "What it takes to be number 1" speech.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

Edmund Burke

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not enough in a situation of trust in the commonwealth, that a man means well to his country; it is not enough that in his single person he never did an evil act, but always voted according to his conscience, and even harangued against every design which he apprehended to be prejudicial to the interests of his country. This innoxious and ineffectual character, that seems formed upon a plan of apology and disculpation, falls miserably short of the mark of public duty. That duty demands and requires, that what is right should not only be made known, but made prevalent; that what is evil should not only be detected, but defeated. When the public man omits to put himself in a situation of doing his duty with effect, it is an omission that frustrates the purposes of his trust almost as much as if he had formally betrayed it. It is surely no very rational account of a man's life, that he has always acted right; but has taken special care to act in such a manner that his endeavours could not possibly be productive of any consequence.

Edmund Burke

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ultimate aim of the martial arts is not having to use them - Miyamoto Musashi

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
“I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth I will apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. ” ― Og Mandino

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed reading words of wisdom from people so if you have some you like....Share them.:)

il_340x270.1084454660_ciqt.jpg
Can I ask please, if you had a word of wisdom for your children.. for children in general to encourage, to reinforce.. what would it be? thank you :) you know lot of quotations is why I am asking! :) x

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can I ask please, if you had a word of wisdom for your children.. for children in general to encourage, to reinforce.. what would it be? thank you :) you know lot of quotations is why I am asking! :) x

Walt Disney

If you can dream it, you can do it. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know it wasn't directed towards me, but I'll answer it anyway:) ...

There's no substitute for hard work.
- Me

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I do tell my son when it comes to opponents being disrespectful:

Respect is freely given or forcibly taken.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star" ~ Nietzsche

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness......Either Charlie D, or some guy discussing threads over the last few days.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah you never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you - Bob Dylan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.

I will persist until I succeed.

Og Mandino
That book is full of good quotes, CB. I think I'm going to get it off the shelf when I get back home this week.

Latest Discussions