Quotes, Proverbs, and Maxims

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That book is full of good quotes, CB. I think I'm going to get it off the shelf when I get back home this week.

Yeah. That is my favorite verse of Scroll III.

Mandino Is one of my favorites.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned this one in German before I learned it in English. My dad (who speaks a bit of German) had it in a small frame on his bookshelves when I was growing up.

That's cool. I have the Edmund Burke quotes that I posted framed at my desk.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself.
The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?
"

- William J. Bennett

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regarding "That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger"

We were doing some breakfalls and rolling in the dojo. One on the guys kept going over his head in a really awkward way. Looked like he was going to break his neck. My sensei at the time kept telling him he's going to hurt himself. The student answered "if it doesn't kill me, it'll only make me stronger." My sensei's reply: "ever hear of paralysis? Stroke? Try being stronger after one of those. Your quote is obviously flawed."

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you do not stand for some thing you fall for any thing..

do not know whose quotation.. only know it as a Public Enemy lyric haha..

That quote is originally attributed to Malcolm X (who, along with The Nation of Islam, was an inspiration to Public Enemy) and the original quote itself is "A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything".

Take Care,
Osu!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pain is weakness leaving the body. - Unknown
That quote is originally attributed to Malcolm X (who, along with The Nation of Islam, was an inspiration to Public Enemy) and the original quote itself is "A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything".

Take Care,
Osu!
Fun fact: while Public Enemy almost surely used the quote because it is often associated with Malcolm X, it is on record at least a couple decades before that. Peter Marshall is on record during the prayer opening the daily session of the Senate. While it may have been coined by someone else, it's at least as old as 1947. :)

Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain

The entire prayer (emphasis mine):
OUR FATHER, we yearn for a better understanding of spiritual things, that we may know surely what Thy will is for us and for our Nation. Give to us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for—because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.

Remind us, O God, that Thou hast not resigned. Harassed and troubled by the difficulties and uncertainties of the hour, we rest our minds on Thee, who dost not change. May it ever be in our minds as upon our coins that in God we trust. For Jesus' sake. Amen.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing”

Muhammad Ali

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"If there is only one way, then I must take it. What comes after must come.." ~ Me (back in the time when I was in a fantasyworld.. I am glad that is over now)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always strike with maximum force - Always look for a new maximum. -- Jhoon Goo Rhee, who said it so often it was almost a mantra.
............................................................................................................................

In Viet Nam. Sayings on windshield frames, fenders, or hoods were popular, especially in tactical AO. I was always amused by this one in this most common form as "Illegitimis non carborundum.." It may not seem like much now, but back then ...

This site has some interesting varients and history on the quote. Don’t let the bastards grind you down!
...........................................................................................................................

Another popular windshield saying was "For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." Truth in that. It may have been from Guy de Maupassant.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
"If there is only one way, then I must take it. What comes after must come.." ~ Me (back in the time when I was in a fantasyworld.. I am glad that is over now)

Since as you word it, it must have been dark place, I am also glad it is over for you. Gives a practical meaning to the old saying "There is always light at the end of the tunnel."

Hang in there lady.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, man.

“Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.”
― Dostoyevsky.

"When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brian

Even paraphrasing someone else's words or ideas without proper citation is plagiarism. If you're paraphrasing, it's not a quote, so it doesn't need quotation marks. But changing words doesn't make it your own idea. In an academic paper, paraphrasing without proper citation would be plagiarism, but more importantly here, it's just really... really lame.

Also, you don't need to know the source of something to know that the source isn't you.

Steve, there is another quoted paraphrase that might apply: "It makes as much sense as beating a dead horse," EDIT or "Stating the obvious." :) :) ;)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since as you word it, it must have been dark place, I am also glad it is over for you. Gives a practical meaning to the old saying "There is always light at the end of the tunnel."

Hang in there lady.
aw you are too too kind and but no no I apologise if I mislead I am just larking around.. eeek.. I ought not to.. did not think nobody was looking.. sorreee it is fantasy quotation yes and but not mine no I am not clever enough .. is from Lord of the Rings is Frodo Baggins have to traverse to Mordor.. sorreee :)

I make amends..

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality," cheshire Cat say this is from Alice Adventures ~ Lewis Carroll :) xo

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just because it smells like fish, doesn't mean you're near the ocean. - me.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hang in there lady.

Sometimes, that light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming right at you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
aw you are too too kind and but no no I apologise if I mislead I am just larking around.. eeek.. I ought not to.. did not think nobody was looking.. sorreee it is fantasy quotation yes and but not mine no I am not clever enough .. is from Lord of the Rings is Frodo Baggins have to traverse to Mordor.. sorreee :)

I make amends..

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality," cheshire Cat say this is from Alice Adventures ~ Lewis Carroll :) xo

That whooshing sound you heard was your humor passing over my head.

Latest Discussions