Questions about aikibudo, aiki jujitsu, and ninjutsu

OP
C

Charbel Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Doing Muay Thai?

Look there is going to be as much real self defense experience in that club as anywhere else.

Your likelihood of training with people who have been in real self defense situations is about the same.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that I should do muay thai, or are you asking me if I was doing muay thai? If the former, then yes, actually my wife and I agreed that we would do muay thai; if the latter, then no, it was a sogo budo jujutsi dojo.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OP
C

Charbel Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have regularly trained with the Nintai club. The father, Georges Serei(RIP) was one of the first judo instructors in Quebec. I have done multiple seminars with Pascal and Andre Serei. They both know their stuff. Pascal started training in the late 50''s as an infant, still going strong.

Thank you for sharing this with me! I'm definitively considering their dojo, only thing is, it's a bit far from where I am. But still, I'm considering it!

How is the training like? Is it mostly grappling, mostly locks, a lot of atemi, or a good mix and balance of everything?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this with me! I'm definitively considering their dojo, only thing is, it's a bit far from where I am. But still, I'm considering it!

How is the training like? Is it mostly grappling, mostly locks, a lot of atemi, or a good mix and balance of everything?
It is a mix of everything Welcome to Nintai Ryu Aiki Ju-Jitsu

OP
C

Charbel Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

It looks very nice, honestly. I'll have to pay them a visit! Does it cost a lot? I wrote them a message about the price but they haven't answered back. If you do remember the price for one year, please let me know.

(By price, I mean the French word "tarif", that I don't know how to translate.)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It looks very nice, honestly. I'll have to pay them a visit! Does it cost a lot? I wrote them a message about the price but they haven't answered back. If you do remember the price for one year, please let me know.

(By price, I mean the French word "tarif", that I don't know how to translate.)
I'm in Ottawa, I don't know what their pricing is like.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is more important how you train and are trained. Find what you like and make it work.
With COVID and social distancing training is different these days. We are on the West Island if you like. Also, Costa in CSL teaches Kajukenbo which is a related art to mine and he is an excellent teacher.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your detailed answer!

And thanks to all others who have commented thus far. I can't answer to everyone because answers are piling up, but I assure y'all that I've read them all. :)
Hello Charbel Hanna, I am from Montreal and have a reasonable idea of what is available in our city. As Tony said, most of the schools you listed will not be doing much sparring or 'free fighting'. Those arts are mostly of the choreographed, 1-step or 3 step fighting (if that).

If you are looking for something where you can actually get a good sweat while doing a little 'free sparring' (ie: getting the opportunity to try techniques you learned that night against a resistive opponent), you want to look more into the 'sport' types of schools that practice BJJ for grappling, MMA for striking and grappling and/or Kyokushin or offshoot school for striking. All of these types of schools are readily available in most places around the Island and no one will force you to compete but if you decide you want to go in that direction, most schools will do their best to get you ready.

In Ahuntsic, you should be able to find a place that will give you and your wife an opportunity to train together. There are bound to be Gracie schools or Tenth Planet schools near you and well you are in one of the best regions in Canada to train Kyokushin. Lots of great instructors here.

Although most dojos are opening back up slowly, training is usually taking place outdoors or on Zoom. As we will all have to wear masks indoors (in public places) as fo July 18, there are certainly going to be challenges on how classes will be able to be run efficiently and effectively. Covid is going to change the way most of us will be able to practice sparring but there are a lot of good ideas on how to do this without spreading the virus. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
C

Charbel Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Charbel Hanna, I am from Montreal and have a reasonable idea of what is available in our city. As Tony said, most of the schools you listed will not be doing much sparring or 'free fighting'. Those arts are mostly of the choreographed, 1-step or 3 step fighting (if that).

If you are looking for something where you can actually get a good sweat while doing a little 'free sparring' (ie: getting the opportunity to try techniques you learned that night against a resistive opponent), you want to look more into the 'sport' types of schools that practice BJJ for grappling, MMA for striking and grappling and/or Kyokushin or offshoot school for striking. All of these types of schools are readily available in most places around the Island and no one will force you to compete but if you decide you want to go in that direction, most schools will do their best to get you ready.

In Ahuntsic, you should be able to find a place that will give you and your wife an opportunity to train together. There are bound to be Gracie schools or Tenth Planet schools near you and well you are in one of the best regions in Canada to train Kyokushin. Lots of great instructors here.

Although most dojos are opening back up slowly, training is usually taking place outdoors or on Zoom. As we will all have to wear masks indoors (in public places) as fo July 18, there are certainly going to be challenges on how classes will be able to be run efficiently and effectively. Covid is going to change the way most of us will be able to practice sparring but there are a lot of good ideas on how to do this without spreading the virus. Good luck.

Oh, thank you for your answer! I sure will look for kyokushin. I know there's a Gracie BJJ gym in Ahuntsic, I will look it up too! On a side note, turns out the wife is interested in Kung Fu (I learned that yesterday, when we passed before a Kung Fu school and she was like "Ouh I wanna do that!"). I'm still not sure why, but some things can't be explained, haha! Like myself, I'm not drawn to judo for no objective reason, I'm just... not drawn to it. And she is drawn to kung fu, says there are lots of meditation and self-control etc. All this to say, we will also be looking into the Nam Loi Kung Fu school (not sure if we call them dojos, or if that only applies to Japanese martial arts).

Thank you again for your answer! I have homework to do now. :D

And yes, training will be a challenge with that virus, indeed.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, thank you for your answer! I sure will look for kyokushin. I know there's a Gracie BJJ gym in Ahuntsic, I will look it up too! On a side note, turns out the wife is interested in Kung Fu (I learned that yesterday, when we passed before a Kung Fu school and she was like "Ouh I wanna do that!"). I'm still not sure why, but some things can't be explained, haha! Like myself, I'm not drawn to judo for no objective reason, I'm just... not drawn to it. And she is drawn to kung fu, says there are lots of meditation and self-control etc. All this to say, we will also be looking into the Nam Loi Kung Fu school (not sure if we call them dojos, or if that only applies to Japanese martial arts).

Thank you again for your answer! I have homework to do now. :D

And yes, training will be a challenge with that virus, indeed.
There is a great White Crane Kung fu school in Laval... Lorne Bernard is the head instructor.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have your wife to train with you them zoom and social distancing is less impactful for you. You both have each other to work with, practice and give practical resistance to each other for training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a great White Crane Kung fu school in Laval... Lorne Bernard is the head instructor.
They are Tibetan Crane and not Fujian Crane, correct? I believe I’ve seen their videos on YouTube.

What do you know about them? By what standard do you feel they are great?

I’m not challenging your statements, I’m honestly curious about what you know. I see a lot of stuff on YouTube that does not impress me, but I also realize that youtube does not show everything and cannot always be a reliable indicator of the quality of a school.

Edit: my mistake, Lorne Bernard is a Fujian Crane guy, not Tibetan. I was thinking of a different Canadian White Crane school that’s Tibetan.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They are a very « traditional » school that are well focused of fighting skills. Their students are respectful dedicated and knowledgeable. So, a great learning atmosphere and solid fighting skills taught that are not heavily influenced by tournament sparring. All this, of course, is my opinion.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They are Tibetan Crane and not Fujian Crane, correct? I believe I’ve seen their videos on YouTube.

What do you know about them? By what standard do you feel they are great?

I’m not challenging your statements, I’m honestly curious about what you know. I see a lot of stuff on YouTube that does not impress me, but I also realize that youtube does not show everything and cannot always be a reliable indicator of the quality of a school.

Edit: my mistake, Lorne Bernard is a Fujian Crane guy, not Tibetan. I was thinking of a different Canadian White Crane school that’s Tibetan.
This style comes out of Malaysia

Xavierthecook

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings! I'm looking to get back into martials arts. I am looking for something not competitive, but rather very oriented toward self defense and real-life scenarios. I want something generalist, such as jujitsu. As long as it is effective in real-life scenarios. My wife might also want to train with me, so that she may learn to defend herself against potential aggressors. We are both 25 years old.

With that in mind, perhaps you'll help me with my dilemma. There are three interesting dojos in Montreal (if anyone here from Montreal, feel free to recommend any dojo that I may have not noticed). I'll list the art taught by each of these three.

1- Aikibudo. I had no idea what it was until googling it. It seems interesting, but I have a few questions about it.
1.1 Does it teach atemi waza (striking techniques)?
1.2 Does it teach ne waza (ground grappling)?
1.3 From the videos, it looked very circular, like a choregraphy, but I'm not sure if this is just because it was a demonstration. Is it effective in real-life scenarios for beginners, or is it rather like aikido, where you would have to train a lot before it becomes (very) effective?
1.4 Is it closer to aikido, or jujitsu, in terms of techniques?

2- Aiki jujitsu. Note that it is not Daito ryu. This one seems very much generalist and oriented toward self-defense.
2.1 Does it teach atemi waza?
2.2 Is it closer to aikido or jujitsu?

3- Ninjutsu. Note that it is not Bujinkan, or at least I don't think it is, as this word appears nowhere on their website. This is the most mysterious to me. Clearly ninjutsu dojos today won't train us to become Ninja assassins (I'm not kidding myself).
3.1 How is it different from, say, jujitsu?
3.2 Does it rely a lot of weaponry, or not so much?

All in all, while keeping in mind that each dojo has its own peculiarities, which of these three martial arts would you recommend the most for real-life and effective self-defense scenarios? Is there anything I should know about any of these martial arts?

Thank you for your help!
Hey so rookie aikibudo practitioner

Sadly aikibudo doesn't teach ne waza from what ive seen up to now and atemi waza it used but it isn't the main focus because aikibudo is mainly based around using the opponents strikes against them but they do teach proper weight transfer and the likes

the way ive seen it up to now is that aikibudo is basically like aikido with the key difference being that its a lot more violent in terms of the way we take on an attacks with a couple the basic technique against strikes being oriented towards arm locks and breaks

As for wether its effective or not i had to use what little i learn as a white belt when i was starting out and it was pretty effective. I also noticed something about your wife wanting to join you so ill say this. Aikibudo is actually a bit better for women as some of the very first techniques have to to with getting out of arm grabs and the such and i don't think i have to explain why a woman is more likely to get her arm(s) grabbed by an assaulter. Hope this helps

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
2020 original post. Hopefully the guy found what he was looking for.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you're not looking for competition, but want something that will work for real life, your options are limited. You could become a soldier of fortune, join a gang, or volunteer for the paramilitary units in your local police department. Let's see... you could work as a bouncer or a personal bodyguard.

If none of those are your cup of tea, I think competitive styles are your best bet.

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I don't get your answer. What stops you learning those skills without doing them as your Job?