Difference between ninjutsu and Jujitsu-related arts

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any video of ninja sparring?

Yeah - just google ninjutsu sparring....

I’ve seen some “sparring” from X-kan groups where they clearly don’t understand the concept of actual sparring. Uke just randomly spams the same stylized, incompetent attack that they use in drills until tori manages to execute a finishing move.

The only real sparring I’ve found so far from any Takamatsuden group comes from the Akban folks. They seem to do some legit, competent sparring. What I’ve seen ends up looking more like standard MMA sparring than the standard Bujinkan curriculum though. Dunc, do you know of any other groups besides Akban that have real sparring videos posted?

If I understand correctly, Akban traces their lineage back to Doron Navon (and then to Hatsumi obviously.) I went to a couple of Navon’s seminars back during my Bujinkan days and was favorably impressed.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve seen some “sparring” from X-kan groups where they clearly don’t understand the concept of actual sparring. Uke just randomly spams the same stylized, incompetent attack that they use in drills until tori manages to execute a finishing move.

The only real sparring I’ve found so far from any Takamatsuden group comes from the Akban folks. They seem to do some legit, competent sparring. What I’ve seen ends up looking more like standard MMA sparring than the standard Bujinkan curriculum though. Dunc, do you know of any other groups besides Akban that have real sparring videos posted?

If I understand correctly, Akban traces their lineage back to Doron Navon (and then to Hatsumi obviously.) I went to a couple of Navon’s seminars back during my Bujinkan days and was favorably impressed.

The Akban guys are the most prolific video posters with sparring. There are others too I guess
Sparring isn’t really a core training method for the majority of groups so there’s not a lot of sparring content there and naturally the quality of any particular group varies

Latest Discussions