Questions about aikibudo, aiki jujitsu, and ninjutsu

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You can't see those? You don't have kickboxing or judo competitions in Australia? I knew Australia was lacking in some sports, but I didn't realize it didn't even have those at all. You should figure out a way to fix that.
I think would be pretty easy to demonstrate. Are there any examples of krav folks competing without additional training? I'm very interested!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow you actually have common sense...not a ridiculous bias. I say fair play to that Krav Maga instructor for testing himself in a totally different sport than his own....if a bjj guy went into a boxing match....guess who’d win (I’m sure drop bear believes the bjj guy would )
I'll just say again that winning or losing is a red herring. Look at Conor McGregor in the boxing match. He didn't win. But he held his own against an elite boxer. I see judoka periodically in local bjj tournaments, and they do okay. Depends on their level of training, but they learn where their hokes are, and some do really well. How would a ninja do? I think not well, even though it is also a grappling art.

If a krav guy wanted to know how good he was at regaining his feet against competent grapplers, it's not rocket science, guys.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
winning or losing the competitions is less important than competing. Win or lose, you will know more about your skilkset than if you just didn't compete.

Also, judoka areaare competent grapplers and tend to do better without training than a wrestler. Wrestlers often keep their hips high and so are pretty easy to sweep, and also tend to give up their backs to avoid a pin. Doesn't take long to fix these bad habits but without training they are common.
True, should have included judoka.

From my experience, wrestlers tend to do well against white belts, its when they start going against blue belts+ that they have issues. So in a white belt tournament they shouls be doing fairly decent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't see those? You don't have kickboxing or judo competitions in Australia? I knew Australia was lacking in some sports, but I didn't realize it didn't even have those at all. You should figure out a way to fix that.

Well I didn't see him do one. Which is the point. Being good at hypothetical fights is always the excuse for being bad a real fights.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll just say again that winning or losing is a red herring. Look at Conor McGregor in the boxing match. He didn't win. But he held his own against an elite boxer. I see judoka periodically in local bjj tournaments, and they do okay. Depends on their level of training, but they learn where their hokes are, and some do really well. How would a ninja do? I think not well, even though it is also a grappling art.

If a krav guy wanted to know how good he was at regaining his feet against competent grapplers, it's not rocket science, guys.

Connor McGregor would take out a white belt BJJ competition though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you care so much about other people do or don’t do....like I said...insecure

I don't care that much. It was off the back of a statement I made that being the coolest kid in your class may not make you very good when compared to anyone else.

And self defense may require you to fight someone who is not from your class.

Then people rushed to defend krav by saying they can't grapple. And would do better in competitions they don't compete in.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think would be pretty easy to demonstrate. Are there any examples of krav folks competing without additional training? I'm very interested!

I haven't met any krav, competition guys. There is a decent karate school that competes.

They even win white belt jits comps.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't care that much. It was off the back of a statement I made that being the coolest kid in your class may not make you very good when compared to anyone else.

And self defense may require you to fight someone who is not from your class.

Then people rushed to defend krav by saying they can't grapple. And would do better in competitions they don't compete in.
You seem to care a lot because I know you’ve told that story ages ago and all the time you’re trashing other styles

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't met any krav, competition guys. There is a decent karate school that competes.

They even win white belt jits comps.
One of My Krav Maga instructoads actually won a bjj competition as a white belt years ago. Forgot all about it. I’m sure you’ll say I’m lying but 100% it happened

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of My Krav Maga instructoads actually won a bjj competition as a white belt years ago. Forgot all about it. I’m sure you’ll say I’m lying but 100% it happened

So wait. All the things you just accused me of. You then went and did?

And exelent work for him.

Which back to the point of this tale is that competition is a training tool that lets you know how you are performing against people you don't know.

Which is going to be important for self defense.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True, should have included judoka.

From my experience, wrestlers tend to do well against white belts, its when they start going against blue belts+ that they have issues. So in a white belt tournament they shouls be doing fairly decent.

To me, wrestlers do well against anybody.

Latest Discussions