Question?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Did you ever get to the point where after years of training you had the feeling that you just wanted to stop and start over from the beginning?

If so what did you do?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I get to that point I try and find another art to supplement my on art, so far it has worked I been doing this for over forty years.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you ever get to the point where after years of training you had the feeling that you just wanted to stop and start over from the beginning?

If so what did you do?
Nothing yet.

Actually I'm not sure I want to start over in another martial art. To tell you the truth I'm kinda tired of "fighting." I'm too old and have too many distractions in real life to compete, to train to full proficiency or to want to. Kinda makes me wonder exactly what kind of real contribution I can be to my art.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two different approaches, first, like Terry, I look around for something to supplement my art. The second, and by far more effective, I re-examine, concentrate, and work on the basics. I find great satisfaction in picking apart my understanding of what I do and challenging myself to find more effecient and effective ways of doing it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two different approaches, first, like Terry, I look around for something to supplement my art. The second, and by far more effective, I re-examine, concentrate, and work on the basics. I find great satisfaction in picking apart my understanding of what I do and challenging myself to find more effecient and effective ways of doing it.

Sounds like a great thing but don't we do that everyday anyway.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not necessarily another art, the same one.

Take it apart from beginning to end or an art previously trained, start it over from the beginning take it apart and analyze it and try to without the already preformed opinions formed by time in training.

I have been in Taiji a long time, I have succeeded at some things failed at others been surprised by some and not so much others. Xingyiquan, I did briefly the last time with a whole lot of baggage from previous training from Xingyi as well as other styles I have trained before I got there and I do feel the last time it got in the way of the training.

My preconceived views of training Taiji, my prejudices and fears from other ideas of training MA even got in the way of my actually training with someone I should have jump at the chance to train Xingyi with. I did the same with the 3 times I (briefly) trained Wing Chun as well, let previous training get in the way or influence my view and possible not take it as seriously as I should of.

This is not any art is lacking or I am bored and questioning my art, or I need a change. It is trying to gain a better understanding of any art. We all get to a point every now and then where we start to think did I miss something important or did I give up something I should have kept... ok maybe it is just me... I tend to over think things... But was that missed point a very important one or something you should be happy you missed was what I gave up important or was leaving it behind a good thing.

This is what I mean by have you ever thought you should start over from the beginning.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a way, my kenpo teacher has built this into how he teaches. Once a student reaches shodan, he starts over and completely relearns the entire system up to that level. Having reached that level, and with the experience from several years of training, he feels students are ready to re-examine the system and gain a deeper understanding of what is going on.

Once this re-learning has been accomplished, only then does he begin teaching the nidan curriculum.

I had studied kenpo under a different teacher many years ago. At the beginning of 2007, I began training under my current teacher, who is much more knowledgeable and experienced than my first instructors were. I basically started over with him, and I've been retraining the system from the ground-up.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean. It's like you suddenly realized that your "reference point" for what you've been learning has shifted, and you want to be able to go back and re-learn, in order, everything from this new reference point.

So do it. Start with your first forms, or exercises, as well as you can remember, keeping in mind that your perspective is now different. You'll probably find that your original mentality, or perspective was not wrong, and you don't have to disregard what you learned then, but that now you're going back and adding another layer to your training, from the ground up.

It's like watching a movie in a small tv as a kid, and then later you get a chance to see it on the big screen. It's the same story, but with a lot more intensity.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great thing but don't we do that everyday anyway.

We do the basics everyday, but not with the kind of concentration I'm talking about, most of the time we do it by rote going through the motions, because we've done it thousands of times before and we figure we know it. What I'm talking about is taking a basic and breaking it down, examining it, seeing if I can get rid of extraneous motion or tension, taking simple movements and determining where they originate, and what happens if I initiate them from a different point.

lowkickr

White Belt
Reaction score
When those feelings enter into my thoughts I became an instructor. Teaching showed me the whole thing from a new perspective, and actually, teaching is quite challenging. Now of course, I love it.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

If so what did you do?

I think any of us who have been doing this for some time get to a point like this. I find that all I need to do is stop for a time, apply my focus to something else and soon thoughts about techniques and variations of techniques come creeping back into my head, and then I'm good to go again.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been to the point of stopping my training all together a few times. I was never able to get away from it for more than a couple of months before something made me start again. Something was missing in my life with the training.
I have started over in different styles/systems to add to my knowledge and to challenge my mind and body. Sometimes those little (or big) differences in what I studied reinvigorated me and made the study of my main art more fun and exciting once again.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's something that's cyclic. Sometimes we just need a break or shift in emphasis to re-energize our training. Other times, we just need to put our head down, and train some more until the feeling passes.

Sorry -- no deep wisdom.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry -- no deep wisdom.

That's ok; I am not looking for deep wisdom.

And it is not a desire to stop or frustration, it is just wondering if I missed something or if I should not review if you will, without the baggage of past training, if that is actually possible.

And I am wondering if after years of training if anyone else felt this way.

Lord knows I have been frustrated and wanted to stop, quit, toss my hands up and yell I surrender in the past from time to time but this is not one of those times.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I get to that point I try and find another art to supplement my on art, so far it has worked I been doing this for over forty years.

This is exactly what I have done and it has worked great.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm not sure I've ever reached a nadir like that.

An art has infinite depth, for once you learn the physical moves and reach shodan, it is indeed time to go back and do it again, this time with your new 'eyes'.

In martial arts, you are polishing a mirror that reflects yourself and every time around you get to see a clearer reflection.

I know that sounds like Zen and that's because it is :D. Perhaps it's because of what my current art is or maybe it's my age but I've found that each time I train I uncover some small realisation about a kata, an application or my own performance.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing yet.

Actually I'm not sure I want to start over in another martial art. To tell you the truth I'm kinda tired of "fighting." I'm too old and have too many distractions in real life to compete, to train to full proficiency or to want to. Kinda makes me wonder exactly what kind of real contribution I can be to my art.

This is how it is for me, except I believe that my lack of skill is much more pronounced, because I have been away from practice. But, the Assistant Instructor has told me to keep coming, because the younger kids do better with more adults there. He has no reason to lie to me about this.

Also, I cannot stand to do anything else for exercise. I hate every other kind of sport or exercise.

I have practiced small amounts of time with both an Aikido school and an American Kenpo school, and they were wonderful experiences, just amazing. If push comes to shove, the student can tactfully let the Teacher know what's up, and see if it is okay to "bow out" of the main school for a while, to take a visit to some other school.

If this is handled properly, in this day in age, it is an okay thing to do.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in recently two years, after practising angular taiji, i have started over again for two times. because my basic technique has big problem, which frustrated my progress.
i think every person who has practised MA all has the exprierence of starting over again. don't stop, keep going, every one will succeed

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme

If so what did you do?

I went back to the beginning so to speak. For example, I started off with my most basic material, learned from the beginning and cleaned it up. I filmed myself, then looked for flaws. Then, fixed them like keeping a constant height and not going up and down when moving. Timing everything to be in synch with each other. No jet-lagging etc... After, I tried to incorporate all with the material forward from there.

Latest Discussions