Sparring

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is sparring really worth doing in a class, most time you go slow and soft against your opponets so you will not hurt them. The other times when you find someone to go at they get hurt in the first couple of seconds. So what do we do when this keeps happening change our way of training and if so in what ways. No the UFC or venues like that is out for me I am too old but would like to really hit someone once in a while.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is sparring really worth doing in a class, most time you go slow and soft against your opponets so you will not hurt them. The other times when you find someone to go at they get hurt in the first couple of seconds. So what do we do when this keeps happening change our way of training and if so in what ways. No the UFC or venues like that is out for me I am too old but would like to really hit someone once in a while.

You don't necessarily have to go slow to be soft. It takes practice, but you can "throw" techniques loose and fast (in fact, it's probably better form if you can - it keeps you relaxed) and by not tensing at the point of impact, you don't transfer the energy. It's easier to to with hands than feet, but you can still do it.

But don't discount slow sparring either. It teaches you the key element of true speed in fighting -- being able to instinctively see what strikes are coming. Slow sparring gives your brain time to process what it looks like when someone is about to throw certain punch, jab, or kick. Then those "clues" get programmed into your sub-conscious, and your reaction time drops considerably. If you're sparring fast, your brain can't figure out what went wrong, and where the punch came from.

Speed in fighting is not from moving fast. It's from knowing what your opponent is about to do before he does. Half-speed sparring teaches this better than full-speed sparring. It also helps you avoid "telegraphing" your own moves, and staying relaxed. "Program" yourself with half-speed sparring, and apply that programming in full or 3/4 speed sparring.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sparring may be, in my opinion of course, the single most important part of learning the martial arts.

reason 1:
getting over the fear of being hit- Until you have been hit, and hit HARD, you will be afraid of it. Sparring tells the student that getting hit doesnt spell your doom. It doesnt matter how good you are, you are more than likely gonna get hit in a real situation. Until you can control your fear of being hit, it will hinder you

reason 2:
Sparring builds your tolerance for pain. Too many times, the pain from getting hit will cause the un-trained to freeze, or hesitate. In a real situation, this can get you killed.

reason 3:
learning exactly what your range is, how long your arms and legs are, can only really be done ina fluid, moving environment. That means sparring

I could go on, but trust me, sparring is important.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is where it's at. I'm not currently sparring regularly and I miss it alot! Timing, Distance, Endurance, Speed, Reading your opponent, it's all in there! Finding the right pace is up to your instructor and/or you and your partner. Hard is fun but I agree that slow is far more instructional for beginners and novice. Speed and power will come as the motions become more natural. But by never sparring you'll never know why you should zig instead of zag.

What kind of injuries are your partners sustaining when you spar? black eyes and bloody noses aren't reason enough to stop a round in my oppinion. A street attacker won't ask if you want to go wipe your nose.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The other times when you find someone to go at they get hurt in the first couple of seconds.

As a self-defense training tool, this also teaches you that when it really goes down, it's going to be over soon because someone will get hurt early on :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sparring good :hansen:

I feel it is the lack of sparing or the incorrect approach to sparing in many TMA schools these days that is helping water down those arts.

Without sparing you get Contemporary Wushu and performance MA

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When done the right way, I think sparring can develop some good and important skills.

I think many people do it poorly, strap on all the padding and do that sloppy, slappy, flailing nonsense that we see in too many tournaments. For many people, this is their definition of sparring. I think one would be best off to avoid this altogether.

Sparring ought to help develop your ability to use the techniques of your method. If you are just playing tag, or you are reducing a sophisticated method of self defense down to a basic kickboxing slugfest, you've probably missed the point and might want to examine how you approach the exercise. While the slugfest may help build your "toughness" factor, it may be at the cost of diminished sophistication in your methods.

While it can have value, I do not believe sparring is the grand pinnacle of martial practice that people sometimes want to believe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done properly, sparring is simply a means to practice the learned techniques under the particular pressure of a live opponent. It's only part of the formula, but it's an important part. Unfortunately, like so many parts of training, lots of folks don't do it properly. They want to spar before they've learned techniques, they want to "bang" instead of focusing on developing their skills, or they dump everything they've practiced to fight. Everyone shouldn't look like they're doing kickboxing 101 when they spar; you should be able to recognize various styles in their sparring.

Sparring can be done slowly, it can be done with different levels of power or contact, and it can be done in ways that build to free sparring (defining roles, limiting attack or defense options, no strikes to the head, etc.)... but it should be done. And your toughest fights ought to be the ones in class, not in tournaments. After all -- your classmates should know your strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sparring is an essential aspect of our training you cannot do it all the time if you are really getting after it but it is essential. I only do full contact sparring so pacing and doing it right is very important. Finding good partner's is also essential.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When done the right way, I think sparring can develop some good and important skills.

and cure bad habits...Sensei rang my chimes when I developed a bad habit of turning my head when the he stepped up the attack...The senior black belt cured my habit of rocking...I shall be forever gratefull to both of them..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If nothing else sparring with those not at your level helps the other person gain speed and helps them gain some confidence. It gives them a goal to reach by pushing them to get better.
As for the person who is much better at sparring they reinforce their techniques and are able to try/practice different techniques that they want to perfect a little more.

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i feel lack of sparring...maybe its arround 7 years that i dont fight anyone...
in sparring usually i dont try my power there, but try to know my speed and accuracy
just hit fast and accurate then point goes to you...dont need to do killer punch...(well i dont know sometimes i cant control my kicking power)

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a good topic. My Sifu and I were just talking about this last night. He was wondering why the same 4-5 people only come to sparring night. The other issue was why is the attendance so low. Last night it was just me and one other student for sparring.

Well, I told him that we spar pretty hard in that class and when people see and hear how hard we spar, they tend to not want to come. We spar MMA style with takedowns and some ground and pound. Sifu always tells us to "Keep it light, but keep it real". I guess the term "light" has a different meaning between people. So, we will be discussing how we can improve our attendance in sparring class on Friday night.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is a good topic. My Sifu and I were just talking about this last night. He was wondering why the same 4-5 people only come to sparring night. The other issue was why is the attendance so low. Last night it was just me and one other student for sparring.

Well, I told him that we spar pretty hard in that class and when people see and hear how hard we spar, they tend to not want to come. We spar MMA style with takedowns and some ground and pound. Sifu always tells us to "Keep it light, but keep it real". I guess the term "light" has a different meaning between people. So, we will be discussing how we can improve our attendance in sparring class on Friday night.

It is sad that more are not interested in sparring

Training Taiji you find VERY few people want to spar (Free style push hands) anymore. Early on, with my first sifu, I got to spar against other styles and that was great but he eventually put a stop to it, there was no money in it for him and he changed his focus form CMA to $$$. AFter that with my current Sifu there were a few (about 3 or 4 of us) that wanted free style push hands but now it is pretty much me.

On occasion I get REAL lucky and Sifu wants to push... which generally means I get knocked down and thrown around like a rag doll... but I learn a lot doing that. But there is no one else that really interested these days.

Sparing is very important to MA without it, IMO, you have a dance that is all.

Latest Discussions