question

OP
N

Norma

Oh thank you...

I really love my son and want to set a good exmple for him in a positive way, i want to incourage him as much as i can, He loves karate so i want him to excel. I don't want him to give up if it get hard or whatever. It keeps him busy and out of trouble and i'm sure it will keep him busy for a long time.

And by the other thread regarding injuries, i guess i should get ready to see my son hurt little more every year?

My son is involved in ALOT of activity and right now he's got 2 he loves kenpo karate and junior racing (pepsi cars) Mind you the racing IS ALOT of money BUT he loves it. And as fare as where concernd money isn't the issue if he love it and wants to stay with it, he can do so.. My daughter will join kenpo karate after her 3rd b-day, and she already has down what my son learnd when he started, she runs around the house screammin * Kia*
and kicks. My son corrects her if she is wrong,, I think she may even end up with a serious interest in kenpo karate too.

Thank you for your kind words.
Norma

:)

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

it is good to be back to this community after a brief period. Short vacation OR honor discharge if you want to put it.

I know the issue should be dropped at this point BUT I need to clarify a few things here.

John Bishop said:
So these are your qualifications to give expert advice here?

I don't know where you get the impression about my "expert advice".??? Perhaps, you should mention a few of my "expert advices" here. From what i know, i don't advise people here to do anything.

Being rude and arrogant are not qualifications to be a expert in anything.
:idunno:

I never claim "expert in anything". I am waiting for my "expert advices" FROM YOU

After reading many of your posts over the last year all I see is someone who likes to cause arguments,

this is not absolutely true. I participated in AK people's threads which lead to arguement. Example of these threads are Ed is second only to god, AK impractical knife technique, AK lacking ground techniques.

As you can see, I were not the ONE who started OR participated in these threads. You and other have your opinions and It is time for me to have mine.

there will be arguement in AK threads even though I don't participate.

We agree with other sometimes and disagree with other another time.

if you called my posts in these threads are "expert advices", I don't really know what REAL "expert advices" is anymore.

and throw out insults.

the FIRST person in this forum mentioned "insult" was Robert. I guess you picked up "insults" word from there.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Norma said:
I guess you guys don't like to talk new people who join this forum?

28 of you looked at my post and not one of you's know the belt grading system?

Or have advice on how i can make sure my son practices right?

Well thanks, i guess i'll keep looking at other site maybe i'll find someone who will help me.

Norma
The rank of instructor bears no weight on a four year old. This is just daycare until they are about six. I would be more interested to know the educational and or criminal histories of those he will be spending those hours with. It would be great for you to meet the seventh degree (of ten) to see if you like the rhetoric or not.
Sean

OP
N

Norma

Touch'O'Death said:
The rank of instructor bears no weight on a four year old. This is just daycare until they are about six. I would be more interested to know the educational and or criminal histories of those he will be spending those hours with. It would be great for you to meet the seventh degree (of ten) to see if you like the rhetoric or not.
Sean

I don't think its day care at all, first i'm there the intire time,, (day care is a drop off thing) No one takes care of my son BUT ME!

My son has his seminar tomorrow night, and he's excited, my son's instructor said they that he will sign the belts after words. This is a motivation thing for kids,,, He will show them what they can do if they stay and practive kenpo karate. I don't claim or think my son will come out of this some fast karate expert,, this is something to show kids they can go fare if they stick with it. I guess he will have them doing things that they don't usualy learn til later, that will be fun for him..

My son also has his first tournament saturday morning, and he is ready and excited.

I didn't come here to get bashed and told whats NO a priviliage or what is..
I can only tell you what i'm told right,, so asking you all is how I will learn, and MANY have giving me great advice.. and i thank them already!

Norma

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Norma said:
I don't think its day care at all, first i'm there the intire time,, (day care is a drop off thing) No one takes care of my son BUT ME!

I didn't come here to get bashed and told whats NO a priviliage or what is..
I can only tell you what i'm told right,, so asking you all is how I will learn, and MANY have giving me great advice.. and i thank them already!

Norma
I said something you disagree with and you took it as bashing? I take it back! having these guys instruct your son may be the best thing in the world you can do for him. Money is no object. :asian:
Sean

OP
R

rmcrobertson

If it helps, I don't agree in the least that it's necessarily day-care.

Kids differ. Often, my experience has been that their learning in martial arts has a lot to do with, a) their own maturation; b) their parents; c) the general atmosphere of the studio; d) the instructor's willingness and ability to teach.

I've been teaching a kid since he was four. He's 12 now; he's a 2nd degree black belt (junior, it says on his certificate). You can see his picture in "Confidence: A Child's First Weapon."

"Day care," my foot.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
If it helps, I don't agree in the least that it's necessarily day-care.

Kids differ. Often, my experience has been that their learning in martial arts has a lot to do with, a) their own maturation; b) their parents; c) the general atmosphere of the studio; d) the instructor's willingness and ability to teach.

I've been teaching a kid since he was four. He's 12 now; he's a 2nd degree black belt (junior, it says on his certificate). You can see his picture in "Confidence: A Child's First Weapon."

"Day care," my foot.
You promoted a twelve year old to second black? what is the process for becoming a non-junior BB. Does he go back to brown and test for black at 16 or does he go back to 1st black at 16? I'm curious. :asian:
Sean

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TOD

You might want to start a new thread or poll on whether your Kenpo school is daycare with extras? I have definitly seen both.

In the meantime Norma, keep us posted on how he does tomorrow in the tournament, and later in the seminar. If he is having fun and learning, THAT is what is important.

-Michael

OP
N

Norma

Michael Billings said:
TOD

You might want to start a new thread or poll on whether your Kenpo school is daycare with extras? I have definitly seen both.

In the meantime Norma, keep us posted on how he does tomorrow in the tournament, and later in the seminar. If he is having fun and learning, THAT is what is important.

-Michael

I will be more then happy to come back and tell about my son seminar tonight. we will record it.

I know my son's school is good, since they want perants to watch there kids,, From what i've seen over the year, my son and other in his class, do the same things as adults ( ok before people jump down me) i mean in a way that they do push up's,, MANY types a stretches, and they will do push up's if they miss behave. they don't go and play they stand in meditation or attention stance, they only speak when spokin too. They do play sorta games, one is with a ball they have to stand with arms to there chest and the instructor will look at you and either pretand to throw or will throw you need to guess. if you move your arms when they don't your out.

They have to remember how to do technics and even know what there called.
There IS an after school programe for those who have karate after school, they will pick them up take them to class and perants can pick them up after there's karate class, they have a room for those kids, but its only for certain age groups, my son is to young because its NOT a day care.

There's HUGE different between an after school programe and what some called day care. a day care is where perants leave there kids for the day while they work,, I can see using the term day care if a child was attending karate at a YMCA or some sorta comunity center, because then yes perant extra out of pocket for them to car for there child..

I pay for the class nothing more. I'm there during the classes, witch are twice a week.

I not offended, i think people REALLY need to look at the difference. My son is there to learn karate NOT play. next week, my son will graduate to a new belt, sadly i won't be there since i have sugery comming up. But my husband will record it so i can see, what they do for a graduation. my son will get a white belt with a yellow strip down the center of the intire belt, his next belt after that will be solid yellow.

Anyway,, i will come back and let you all know how is seminar went tonight and i will let you all know how his first tournament goes.

Norma

OP
R

rmcrobertson

First off, Sean, yeah, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it. I wanted to make a point for Norma, and should've realized more thouroughly that this would perhaps become the side issue.

I'm not going to explain, defend or debate it. He's good enough, trust me; among other things, his reflexive reaction to promotions has been, "No, I'm not ready yet," for the last five years.

As a policy statement, though--nobody is the same. Everybody who trains progresses--and hopefully, is promoted--at their own proper rate. This is his.

Waddya want for eight years' training, four classes a week, and putting up with me?

If it helps, let me assure you that I went to higher authority over his last five or six tests.

Please drop the matter. Given our arguments, I don't want to get into this topic with you.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Norma said:
I will be more then happy to come back and tell about my son seminar tonight. we will record it.
Great! I'm anxious to know how it is and what you thought of it. How did your son like it?

I know my son's school is good, since they want perants to watch there kids,, From what i've seen over the year, my son and other in his class, do the same things as adults ( ok before people jump down me) i mean in a way that they do push up's,, MANY types a stretches, and they will do push up's if they miss behave. they don't go and play they stand in meditation or attention stance, they only speak when spokin too.
It is similar at my dojo also. Discipline and respect is expected of each student, regardless of age. We all do push-ups, sit-ups, stretches, kicking drills, punching drills, etc.

But the children do have some skills games that's fun to play that helps with their karate basics. The instructor always explains to the children the purpose of these games and what principle/motion they are expected to learn/do.

One game they play are frisbees. I asked the instructor why, and he told me that this teaches the children the importance of using their hips in rotation. This is a key that lends to learning certain moves that require these rotations for power and efficiency with some techniques. Catching the frisbees also teaches them to react, an important skill to learn when blocking/parrying. Another game played uses the "pool noodles". This is another key lending to use of a staff and teaches when one hand pushes, the other pulls (principle of opposition), or moving the hands/arms together sideways (coordination). Another one is having different sized balls and rolling them between hands (moves that are also found in some techniques). There are other games too. They vary these games each day in addition to the forms and techniques they must learn. It adds variety to their class study and keeps their attention.

Unfortunately, the adults don't play these as often. I guess we are able to focus longer and stay on task when training with basics, techniques, and forms.

There IS an after school programe for those who have karate after school, they will pick them up take them to class and perants can pick them up after there's karate class, they have a room for those kids, but its only for certain age groups, my son is to young because its NOT a day care.
My dojo has an after school program too for the children (started recently in Sept. 2003). There are many parents who both work, or perhaps a single parent who has to work. Rather than have their kids be "latch key kids" (coming home to an empty home after school), the dojo bus picks up the children from their schools. The parents then pick them up from the dojo after their work. What do the kids do? They have their regular karate, gymnastics, or dance classes. When they aren't training, they also have a study room (to do their homework), a computer room (for older children who need to do their reports), and a game room (board games such as scrabble, chess, checkers, etc.) They are supervised at all times.

You mentioned this Saturday, your son will be in a tournament. I'd like to know how that went!

Good luck with everything!

- Ceicei

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Norma,
This might be a regression to the first post you put here about Mr. Arsenault. First off let me say I truly admire you for enrolling your child in a martial arts program. I am sure he will be provided a great place to learn and wish you and him the best of luck with it.

As for Mr. Arsenault, I have known him since 1985-86. I was his FIRST kenpo student. I studied with him when he was just a brown belt in his parents back yard! :uhyeah: He is a good technician and savvy businessman. He has some personal issues with soome of his former students which I shall not ellaborate on. Strictly from a Kenpo stand point he is good at what he does and you should be impressed. As the adage says "You get what you pay for" However if you don't know anything else what you get is what you get...know what I mean :idunno:

OP
N

Norma

kenpo3631 said:
Norma,
This might be a regression to the first post you put here about Mr. Arsenault. First off let me say I truly admire you for enrolling your child in a martial arts program. I am sure he will be provided a great place to learn and wish you and him the best of luck with it.

As for Mr. Arsenault, I have known him since 1985-86. I was his FIRST kenpo student. I studied with him when he was just a brown belt in his parents back yard! :uhyeah: He is a good technician and savvy businessman. He has some personal issues with soome of his former students which I shall not ellaborate on. Strictly from a Kenpo stand point he is good at what he does and you should be impressed. As the adage says "You get what you pay for" However if you don't know anything else what you get is what you get...know what I mean :idunno:

Mr Aursnault was a very nice man,, excellent with kids.
he spoke to us also,,

i wrote a post update seminar & tournament. its about my son's chance and ours to meet him..

Everyone in the world will have a bad expiriance with some one in life, That doesn't mean eveyone else will.. Thats to bad, you's had issues or whatever happen with him... He was a pleasure to watch, and he was very nice to eveyone. I may see him again in a year or so, he tries to come down every year i'm told, and do some seminares and he brings some of his students time to time.

Norma

Norma

Latest Discussions