question

N

Norma

My son is 4 1/2 year old,, I put him in kenpo karate last summer the programe is called Little ninga's he graduated to Tiger's last month and is white (with black strip) belt. He will be ina turnament on feb 21st, he will be participating in Ninga's Obscicale course and Tiger's weapon fighting UR1 something like that it was called. Anyway my question is where onthe net can i find instructions to help him practice? He does practice but i don't know if he's doing it right. I'm in Ontario canada if that help.

He goes to Turtle Island kenpo karate assosiation.

Can you tell me also,, what is the best in grading,, his teacher has black belt with 2 red strips on the end and other teacher has 1, what does this mean? what is 7th degree awsome or good? what is the highest you can get in black belt?

My son has the chance to train with a 7th degree black belt on the 20th, is this a good thing? I guess this man is very well knone from the U.S a Mr. Steve Arsnault he's premiere martial artists Vice president of the worldwide kenpo karate assiciation.
he's from New bedford MA.

Sorry for all the questions, my son really like karate and i want to suport him in it as much as i can.

Norma

OP
N

Norma

I guess you guys don't like to talk new people who join this forum?

28 of you looked at my post and not one of you's know the belt grading system?

Or have advice on how i can make sure my son practices right?

Well thanks, i guess i'll keep looking at other site maybe i'll find someone who will help me.

Norma

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... but I did not know the 7th Degree Black Belt you were referring to, so had no opinion. It is hard for a kiddo that young to "benefit" from a seminar with someone at that level. I think the question should be "would he have fun?" If you think he would, then by all means let him attend. Seminars are usually for folks who are looking for some additional material, principles, concepts, theories of Kenpo, or just to support the person teaching the seminar or the instructor hosting the seminar.

My school does not use little tigers or little dragons, we do not have a white belt with a black stripe, but I assume this is still a beginner level student. Age and rank have something to do with determining whether a seminar is to:

1. Learn something new
2. Refine something you already know
3. Re-energize yourself by working with others outside your own school.

They can be on anything from tournament strategy, to principles of movement, to weapons, stretching, etc. So without more info, I feel uncomfortable saying "Yes, a 4-1/2 year old can benefit", it is a cost-benefit ratio kind of decision.

Generally speaking: There are 10 "degrees" of black belt, and here is a link to them -

http://kenpo-texas.com/beltrankingsys.html

The first two tables at the top of the page are the ranking system for American Kenpo and Chinese or Tracy Kenpo.

Feel free to email if you have any more questions. This Board tends to get much more active on weekends given a lot of the posters are working during the day and training or teaching at night.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Sincerely,
-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Norma
I guess you guys don't like to talk new people who join this forum?

28 of you looked at my post and not one of you's know the belt grading system?

Or have advice on how i can make sure my son practices right?

Well thanks, i guess i'll keep looking at other site maybe i'll find someone who will help me.

Norma

Hi Norma..... allow me to help (if I can), We all love to talk to new people.....don't be silly. It's just that some of the questions you ask are difficult to answer.

Each instructor teaches in a different manner and has different requirements that they follow depending on their organization. So to give you advice on how to make sure your son practices correctly is difficult. Keep in mind he is only 4 1/2 years old and at this point to have fun is the best thing for him...... so make sure he has fun and you support his efforts.

As to the Rank of the instructor.... most find a studio that is close to you. Rank is not really an issue. In the Black Belt Level (top grade - Teacher level) there are 10 degrees of Black..... 1st thru 10th. Unfortunately, the rank (in some cases very high such as 6th on up) does not necessarily mean that individual is a great teacher. I know many lower ranked black belts that are fantastic teachers and some of the upper level guys that are not ..... yet they have been ranked so due to some accomplishment within the art.

If you son is having fun .... allow him to learn slow and enjoy what he is learning I'm sure it will benefit him.

BTW.. Steve Arsnault is a student of a Fellow friend of mine (Joe Planzo) and I am sure he is worth a look.

Feel free to ask more questions if you wish, we will all try to help you out.

:asian:

OP
N

Norma

The instructor that is comming to Ontario Canada,, Mr Arsenault, he trains my son's instructor.. Its a family Academy, Husband and wife own and teache. Mr arsenault i guess is knone to have lost of fun with kids and teach them things they won't usually learn till later on. Just beeing able to watch him i'm told is a great plesure.
the class with him in 30 min for the kids then later that night the teen/adults train for 1 hours and 30 min.

My son is white belt, but because he did the junior classes he has a black strip through the cent of the belt. his next belt will be white with yellow then a solid yellow belt.

His teacher has black belt with 2 red strips on the end his wife has one. i was just woundering what them strips meant.

Is there a place i can pictures to show me if he's doign something right? his weapon fighting is called UB1. and he's doing something i just don't know if its right and i'm like his to be able to excel, his goal at 4 1/2 is green belt,,, If he keeps up as seriou as he is for a small child he can get green in about 6-7 years.

Do school name there fighting stances them selve? as in do you know what UB1 is?

karate is very popular here, i guess tats why this school provide it for young kids. the adult classes are very impressive, i'm excited to see the turnament this will be the first time is go to one.

Thank for replying,
My husband and i may even join our selves.

Norma

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

about your children belt. You should not worry much about your children belt.

I have seen some teachers add stripes to children's belt and each stripe has different meanings such as good attendant, keep uniform clean, good demonstration, and so on. You get the meaning.

another reason for adding stripes to children's belt is to give the kids and their parents know what level the kids are at. Of course, level of sufficient in MA skill is not really the main purposes. That is the way kids have fun and parents keep paying.

Do not be suprised when you see your kid and other kids playing soccer or throwing ball to each other after few minutes of punching and kicking.

If you observe carefully from your kid school and other MARTIAL ART school, you can see this:

Martial art school is not the place for kid to learn how to defend themselve NOW. It is the place where the parents can drop off the kids and go some places else and pick them up later on and

it is ALSO the place where the kids can hang out with their friend and have fun AFTER school.

I am suprised to see your kid study under 7 degree black belt person.

it is REALLY HARD to study under 5 or up degree black belt (master and grand master of Martial Art style). I'm speaking from EXPERIENCES.

Why is it hard ???? here are a few reasons

1- Cost
2- Your personal character and attidude
3- You have to talk your way out so that these HIGH dudes accept you

Generally, masters or senior master will give lower rank such as first degree black belt person to take care of your kid.

They do not deal with 4 year old kid. Sorry about telling you that

OP
N

Norma

I'm NOT worried about my son belt,, i don't know how i gave you that impression.

My question was,, still is. what is a high ranking for teachers?

This Mr Arsenault who is comming, to my province, is i guess privilege in that he is the school owner's trainner,,

He is i know judging the tournament on the 21st, but has made arrangement with the academy to give special classes, i have to pay a small sum of 10$ for 30 min of training. adult pay more since the classes are longer. Again is 7th dagree special?
This is a special occasion this man lives in the u.s, so him coming here isn't all the time.

As for saying that a 7th degree wouldn't bother with a 4 year old then why is my son able and signed up for the special seminar?

I guess Only canadians allow kids to learn this sport at a young age.

All i wanted to know is where i can get manuals so i can't help my son do well. He loves it. his teachers are amazing.

if you's can or just don't want to help just say so.
Norma

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My question was, and still is. what is a high ranking for teachers?
Norma

Anything past 5th is a pretty high rank.

This Mr Arsenault who is comming, to my province, is I guess, a privilege, in that he is the school owner's trainner.
Norma

Yes, it is.

He has made arrangements with the academy to give special classes, again is 7th dagree a special thing?
Norma

Well, how often does this type of event happen in your area with a person as high as Mr. Arsenault? Not often I'm sure...... so Yes, I would consider it special until it happens quite often and even then it is a good thing.

As for saying that a 7th degree wouldn't bother with a 4 year old, then why is my son signed up for the special seminar?
Norma

I think you misunderstood...... He was saying that in some large studios.... the head instructors usually have their assistants teach the lower ranked classes, but this varies from individual to individual.

Norma

No...... many in the US start at 3.

I wanted to know is where i can get manuals so i can't help my son do well.
Norma

The best place to ask this question is the instructor of your studio.... he will direct you.

If you's can or just don't want to help just say so.
Norma

I think this has been answered.

OP
N

Norma

I'm gald some one knows who Mr Arsenault is... I'm not making this up.. i'm not some troll make this up,, i can e-mail you's photo's of my son in his uniform. if you's wish.

I'm not worried about my son's belt. i just want to learn..

My son's teacher, Mr. ******e & Mrs.

They don't have day care, this is a Martial arts Academy, you can't just say here watch my kids.
I have to sign my son up purchase his uniforms and so forth, i stay and watch him train twice a week.
but i can't always have my eyes on the teacher so some things i can't see him do, so when my son is practicing at home, i can not correct him. he's got this tournament on the 21st and i want to make sure he does he's best, either way he will go home with a trophy, but remembering, understand is part of karate.

Some of you's probablywant to know why would i put a 4 year old in karate well because he's a very active child and hockey, saccor, baseket ball are seasonal,, karate is all year around. its good for self displine, he can tie his belt him self thank god cause i don't know how too.

Some one mentions a 7th degree wouldn't bother with kids,, well some one else here says they know Mr arsenault so then you can call him up and see he will he comming to Sarnia Ontario Canada feb 19-20-21st. he is giving special seminar for all ages.

I'm not tryin gto askstupid questions. My son loves karate he take it serously so i want to be able to help him reach his goal.

Its kind hard to help him if i don't know right?

Norma

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Um...ah...he's four-and-a-half, and doing some sort of weapons training? Uh, why?

It's prob'ly just me, but I really don't like seeing little kids wave weapons about. There're so many other things they could, and should, be learning...

Then there's the whole practicality issue. No child has a prayer against an armed adult, who's close enough to hurt them.

Uh...I've been teaching a kid since he was four. He's 12, now, working on 13...getting huge. I started him on formal knife techniques about four months ago, and I showed him a gun tech last night...that's after eight (!) years, and just incidentally, this is a wonderful martial artist who's in, training, at least three days a week (about 2-3 hours a pop) and has been since he was six or seven.

Sorry, and maybe it's just my personal preferences, but...

On other matters, some very advanced martial artists spend time with kids, and some do not. It varies...but a lot of the very, very best LIKE to teach kids in one way or another. You might look at the one good scene in Chuck Norris', "The Hitman," on this...

For books, I recommend (surprise, surprise) Larry Tatum's, "Confidence: A Child's First Weapon."

OP
K

KenpoGirl

My question was,, still is. what is a high ranking for teachers?

Norma let me try to interpret for you, on Canadian to another. ;)

Black belts are ranked from 1 Dan (one red strip) to 10 Dan (10 red Stripes, which is also displayed as to Large, 5inches, red strips). The owner of your sons school is a 2nd Dan as he has two red strips, his wife is a 1st Dan, on red strip. This does not say that they are bad or good instructors, they are just at a lower level. Mr. Arsenault is a 7th Dan, 7 red stripes (or one large stripe and two smaller ones.) This usually means that people with 6 and above stripes have been in the system a long time and have a lot of experience. This is not always the case as some people give themselves rank by what they feel they are worth. All you can do is see what kind of instructor he is.

As for saying that a 7th degree wouldn't bother with a 4 year old then why is my son able and signed up for the special seminar?

I believe coolkenpodude thought that your 4 year old was training with the 7th degree full time. An honest mistake. What he meant (I think) is that when an instructor reaches the rank of 7th degree they tend to only instruct orther black belts and leave the lower ranking black belts to teach the lower coloured belts.

All i wanted to know is where i can get manuals so i can't help my son do well. He loves it. his teachers are amazing.

There are not a lot of Manuals on the internet about training as everyone trains differently, the weapons training you were speaking of is unfamiliar to me, so that might be something your instructor teaches exclusively. Safest bet is to ask Mr. White eye and see if he has any written material to help you out.

But, that being said, your son being only 4 1/2 really should only be in Martial arts for the fun of it, as he gets older then training can get more serious when he is better able to comprehen the techiques and the reasons behind them. But this is only my opinion and as I don't know your circumstances, my opinion is of little consequence.

I hope that helps

Dot

OP
N

Norma

He does UB1, i thinks its called, the *weapon* is a small wooden stick, not a big staff or knife. its smaller them my hand, so nothing waving around.

Its mostly the hand movement, this acedamy, teachers the kids as equals,, there a little guy in my son's class he can't be more then 6 years old, he's an orange belt, this kids, flies in the air, jumping, kicking, he's amazing with his padded stick witch is almost as tall as him.

My son won't learn that till oragn belt.. so its hide the weapon, and some movement after that, then he bows and goes back in line. he doesn't hit anyone, its just him with this wooden stick lengh of a spoon. infront of his teacher he give the instructions he does it, then so on.

He can not *fight* till orange or higher.

For Kenpo karate in my city its NOT common to have some one of high rank come visit, i think its maybe once a year unless a big event is here.

I know that my son's teacher has to go to Mr arsenault for his training.

Mr ******e will talk to us if we have questions, but it hard because they are SOOOO busy, whenmy class end the other class is lining up right away.

Yes some time mr ******e will have some purple and green belts to help him with the white belts..

Norma

OP
N

Norma

Kenpogirl THANK YOU!

My son is young but all he talks about is his karate, he practices on his own everyday. its just hard because i can't help him if i don't now.

I'm sure his teacher is very good, its been here for a while now. where a few have closed up and gone under.

They VERY nice people and will talk to us. But when they have 3-4 classes in a row its hard to inturup ya know.

They have good standing in my comunity, and karate is fun for my son, i think that why he like it so much, he has a favorit color GREEN, and his goal is green belt, obviously won't be for a while.

They school insist that ALL age's and belt have some sorta participation in tournaments, So my son will be in a Obstacle course and junior weapon. It will be a year this august he's been involved with karate.

Norma

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not trying to askstupid questions.
My son loves karate he take it serously so I want to be able to help him reach his goal.
Its kind hard to help him if i don't know right? Norma

I hear what you are saying, most parents want the best for their children and want to help them all they can.

You have already taken the first step and signed him up with a good instructor... Mr. Whiteeye has a good reputation and is under a well known Instructor and organization.

The reason you signed him up there is because YOU do not know KENPO ..... so thats why you bring him there. You are NOT expected to TEACH him at home.... if you want to do this...... then sign up in a class yourself....... other than that..... your job is to help (with what you can) and encourage your son ......not TEACH him at home out of manuals which you wont understand anyway unless you personally study.

Allow the studio and the professionals to do their jobs...... Have fun and WATCH your son grow and learn with what he is being taught. Be patient.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

He does UB1, i thinks its called, the *weapon* is a small wooden stick, not a big staff or knife. its smaller them my hand, so nothing waving around.

The stick is called a Yawara, which is used to increase the affects of a punch or strike. That's about all I know on the subject, I learned a short Kata with the weapon at a previous school I went too.

In regards to weapons training, every school is different. You can see the dangers in teaching a child to use a weapon at a young age, but this is something you should discuss with your instructor Mr. White eye (I'm typing his name this way because the censors are *** blocking it for some reason as one word)

Mr ******e will talk to us if we have questions, but it hard because they are SOOOO busy, whenmy class end the other class is lining up right away.

Norma [/B]

Yes instructors are very busy during class time. Maybe you should book an appointment with your instructor so you can ask him these questions.

Dot

OP
N

Norma

I don't have a problem with him learning to use a weapon,, i'd rather him learn use a weapon in a sport then to pick up a toy sword and hit a child ( 99% of all kids do that young playing around) My son knows and understand the plege.
understand that he can't do karate to harm some one.

They had a talk with him and all new staudent when they sign up. they sit with each child and tell them the plege and rules of joinning.

He only practices at the academy or at home. He trains oftem twice a week he will be trainning tonight.

They do it fun BUT they do have the hard stuff, not lisenning they do push ups. EVEN my son has.

But his teacher is always smilling and joking with them.

I'm proud that my son at 4 1/2 has a goal for him self. he does have 2 other whiet belt i don't think should be there, one is all over place and can't stand still for the love of life. But my son will ignore him and lisen to his teacher.

Norma

I recoment karate over summer sports ANY DAY!

OP
N

Norma

Goldendragon,,

I don't want to teach him i want to be able to correct him if he's practicing you know. Like helping with home work they do it but you can help correct it..

I'm glad i have a good instructor for mys on, i didn't realize he's knone out side of my city.

That make me feel good, he's GREAT guys,, he has lots of fun with the kids EVEN the smaller ones, before my son got his uniform it was a once a week class and they had a blast!

His wife also is amazine i see her from time to time doing her own routines before class, its very impressive.

Norma

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

I don't want to teach him i want to be able to correct him if he's practicing you know. Like helping with home work they do it but you can help correct it..

Norma

this is certainly a good intention BUT it is not helpful for your son. Why ?

How can you correct him if you don't know the material your son is learning ?????

assume that you find some manual books or some sources and correct your son while he is practicing.

you will make your son CONFUSED because his teacher teaches him 1 way and you show him 1 way.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goldendragon,,
I don't want to teach him i want to be able to correct him if he's practicing you know. Like helping with home work they do, you can help correct it. Norma

I salute you interest to help... however, using your example on homework.... if you don't know the subjects that your son is working on..... there is no way to help except to encourage him.

Like I suggested before, talk to his instructor, explain your concerns.... and let them direct you as to how you can best help you son. Sometimes you may have to let him learn all on his own...... just get him to as many classes as he can or wants..... or maybe a private lesson or 2.

And still....... be patient .... he'll do fine. He needs experience and the best way is to make mistakes.... he will learn from them.

OP
N

Norma

I think your miss understanding me..

I see his teacher do this thing, see if i explain it right.

fist at forhead elbow facing out., then mose the arm still angled out fist facing up then move in at face, elbow facing down, then extant the arm out at side, then at hip, then out infront fist facing down, back to hip.

I don't know what this is called.

Some times my son does it wrong, if it wasn't me watching Mrs whiteeye, he would be going in to karate twice a week doing it wrong, witch would be pointless to pay for him to go and not learn.. This is the type of help i mean. i by no means want to give him book and expect him to learn how to do what in it and not what his teachers do.

They want and incourage them to practice at home especially with the tournament comming up.

Norma

Latest Discussions