2nd black requirements

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all-

I am in the process of re-learning a lot of Kenpo (Parker's) info. that I have forgotten or gotten rusty on (due to time out for having my baby, distance from my studio, etc). I am finding that I (thankfully) pretty much remember everything up to about 2nd brown before things get sketchy. I am hoping to get back up to speed with everything and then try for my 2nd degree black.

What, for those of you currently studying for 2nd degree, are your requirements at your school (for 2nd degree)? I apologize if this topic is already out there.....I looked and couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Thank you-
:asian: :karate:

K

kenpo12

One big factor of the requirements will depend on whether you are doing the 16, 24, or 32 technique per belt system. Which one are you working on?

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well........actually, I have been thru them all!! When I started out, I was on the 32 system and over the years, different instructors, etc, have seen it changed to 24 (which actually shot me forward a rank).......and now we're on the 16 system.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Well........ I started out with the 32 system then on to 24 ......and now we're on the 16 system. :asian: :karate:

The 2nd Black Techniques for the 16 System is the same as the 1st Brown for the 24 Stystem.

The so called 16 system has 16 techniques per belt from orange thru Green ....... then 3rd Brown Belt thru 1st Black have 20 techniques..... 2nd Black thru 5th Black have 24 Techniques.

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by parkerkarate
I am learning my 3rd black stuff now. But when I was learning my 2nd it was a 16 technique list.

If thats the case then it is not the original list that Ed Parker was using/working with at the time of his death.

Heads of organizations today have changed the order to what ever they think is good for thier groups. There is no Standard for Curriculums today other than within a particular organization.

:asian:

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the current curriculum for techs. and forms only at the Kenpo school I study at........not including all the basics, sets, etc.

Yellow= 10 techs, right side of short form 1
Orange= 15 techs, right and left sides of short form 1
Purple= 15 techs, short form 2
Blue= 15 techs, Long form 1
Green= 15 techs, Long form 2, Short form 3, personal 12-tech. form
3rd Brown= 18 techs, Long form 3
2nd Brown= 18 techs
1st Brown- 18 techs, Long form 4
1st Black- 14 techs, 12 personal techs
2nd Black- Forms 5 and 6- no new techs.

So.........I guess we are not exactly on the 16 tech. model either.......

T

triwahine

Just curious... I started cross training in EPAK and am working on orange belt material. For this dojo, the following is for orange:

all of yellow material
16 techs
kicking set 1
long form 1

where does this fall in relation to the EPAK system as handed down from Mr. Parker? Thanks.

:supcool:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
2nd Black- Forms 5 and 6- no new techs.
That's a little unusual to have to learn both forms for 2nd black. It would take a long time to get both of them down well enough to perform each during a test. It took me about 2 years to get 5 down well enough to feel comfortable performing in front of an audience. That's just my opinion. :asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The requirements for second black at out school are:

Forms:
Long Form 5, Two Man Set, Staff Set 1, Personal Form

Techniques:
Mirror the first 170
and I think 40 new techniques.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
triwahine said:
Just curious... I started cross training in EPAK and am working on orange belt material. For this dojo, the following is for orange:

all of yellow material
16 techs
kicking set 1
long form 1

where does this fall in relation to the EPAK system as handed down from Mr. Parker? Thanks.

:supcool:
He did a 24 technique system, which did not effect the Sets or Forms. So you would have 8 fewer techniques, the Basics and Freestyle Basics remained the same. Many EPAK schools are now utilizing Brian Duffy's 16 Technique System (as approved by SGM Parker).

-Michael

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school, the requirements are all techniques, Yellow thru 2nd black, performed right and left handed, in the air and on an opponent. All katas thru Long #7 performed right and left handed. Selected basics.

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a little unusual to have to learn both forms for 2nd black. It would take a long time to get both of them down well enough to perform each during a test. It took me about 2 years to get 5 down well enough to feel comfortable performing in front of an audience. That's just my opinion.

Yeah- guess that's why they don't give us any new techs!! They have just changed this around in the last 5 years or so.......we used to start doing endings of techs. for 2nd black.......not sure why it all changed, but we don't do the endings for tests anymore. I have learned Long 5 and am now learning Long 6......I am sure it will take me quite awhile to get both down where I feel comfortable with them. At what point do you learn and test for these two forms?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan,
My 2nd black test was a very hard condensed 2hrs. There was a spot check on "x" amount of techniques per belt color. All forms from Short 1 - long 5. A few of the sets and the orange belt extensions. That plus a lot of Q & A. Everyone learns at a different pace. It took me 1.5 yrs. just to learn all of the movements in 5. 5 was just the hardest form for me to learn but again everyone learns at different paces. Personally speaking I liked the idea of testing over the orange ext. and form 5. Now 6 on the other hand I thought was much easier to learn than long 3. I adapted very well for some reason to this form. This just felt more comfortable and things fit together so much better than any other form.

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JFarnsworth-

Interesting. I am finding both 5 and 6 to just be so much different than the previous forms. With 5, I think it is the different angles and footwork and with 6, it is the constant hands in motion thing.

When do you test on Form 6?

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I should add that I have been learning these forms via private lessons with my instructor. I have found a big difference in learning them that way bit by bit as opposed to trying to learn them bit by bit in the general class. He explains everything really thoroughly and seems to have a good handle on when I've had enough for the night.........when brain fry sets in, etc. I've had a lot of fun learning both forms so far........now I just have to practice them like crazy so I don't lose info. between lessons........you see, I must travel 3 1/2 hours to my home school so I soak up as much as possible while I am there and then have to retain it until the next trip!!

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
The requirements for second black at out school are:

Forms:
Long Form 5, Two Man Set, Staff Set 1, Personal Form

Techniques:
Mirror the first 170
and I think 40 new techniques.
Hey There MJ,

Unless steve changed it recently - there are 60 new techniques required for 2nd black - some will be extensions on the green belt techs. :ultracool

Requirements at my school

Long Form 5, Two Man Set, and 16 Techs

Donna :asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Hey There MJ,

Unless steve changed it recently - there are 60 new techniques required for 2nd black - some will be extensions on the green belt techs. :ultracool

Requirements at my school

Long Form 5, Two Man Set, and 16 Techs

Donna :asian:
Why thank you Donna! :asian:

Oh man guess I've been too busy picking daisies to take a close enough look. I'm sure you are right... guess I'll be on the ten year plan for this one...ahhh...no matter, 60 huh? better make that 20 :uhyeah:

How's long 5 treating ya?

MJ :)

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shodan said:
I should add that I have been learning these forms via private lessons with my instructor. I have found a big difference in learning them that way bit by bit as opposed to trying to learn them bit by bit in the general class. He explains everything really thoroughly and seems to have a good handle on when I've had enough for the night.........when brain fry sets in, etc. I've had a lot of fun learning both forms so far........now I just have to practice them like crazy so I don't lose info. between lessons........you see, I must travel 3 1/2 hours to my home school so I soak up as much as possible while I am there and then have to retain it until the next trip!!

Agreed about learning forms in private lessons. Much better one on one.

You are a better woman than I - I don't think I'd have the discipline to travel that far. Then again, who knows... KT

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are a better woman than I - I don't think I'd have the discipline to travel that far. Then again, who knows... KT

Ha ha!! Well........I should explain a bit more and say that when I do go up there, I also get to visit with my parents. My parents live 30 minutes from the studio so I have free lodging and free babysitting of my son while I am at class!! I used to live up there, it was only after marriage 5 years ago that I moved that far from my studio.......oh how I wish I could live closer!!

Latest Discussions