Tournament

N

Norma

Can some one, tell me what to expect when my son enters his first tournament.. My son is 4 1/2, white belt, he'll be doing a junior Obsticle course, and something called weapon.
All i know is he won't be actually fighting, just showing his moves with a small palm size wooden stickin front of the judges.

We have to be there 1 hour before it starts.

What happens when we first get there? how long is the tournament generally?

I'm excited that my son gets to participate in the tournament even though his so young. I think it will give him even more interest in kenpo karate..

Norma

Karate schools web URL.
http://www.timaa01.homestead.com/1stpage.html

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks pretty standard, you get there early, usually have to sign up and pay for a tournament. Decide which events, but at his age, that is probably pre-determined and you already mentioned them.

Forms are usually 1st, they separate the competetors out by age and by rank, into the various "divisions", then start with the lowest ranking and youngest first. That way they have to be there (and be good) for the least amount of time. Big tournaments, which this one probably is not, can last all day, and it could be a couple of hours for forms, empty hand, weapons, musical, specialty, etc. get done. Then the sparring divisions are sorted and that begins. Your son is probably too young for the sparring.

Take a camera, or a video if you have it. It is always nice to have a record for prosterity.

Hope this helps, -Michael

OP
N

Norma

Thanks,

By the sound sof it it wil be an all day event. there is a fee for the tournament, 35$ for 1 0r 2 events.

There's Ninga's obstacle course, self defence, forms/karate weapon (all ranks), sparring & team sparring.

Yes my son is to young for sparring. Actually i'm not really sure what sparring is to be honest.

I'm told the younger groups 3-8 years will leave with a throphy no matter what, just for going out and trying.

My second questions LOL, was gonna be if we can record the tournament. It doesn't say anything about no camara's or camcorders, so t must be ok.

Thanks a bunch, we intend to stay for the intire tournament, i would like to watch all the groups.

Norma

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring is fighting, with limited contact and limited targets. Nothing nearly as brutal as a boxing match.

It is like playing tag, but with gloves, footgear, shin pads, mouthpiece, cup & supporter, headgear, and some people wear chest protecters. It is on a point basis and usually no face contact below a certain belt. The idea is to increase control and power, so that you do not necessarily have to hurt someone to be effective.

In some tournaments kicks may count higher score than punches ... or not, it just depends on the promoter. They can be lots of fun, with some stress and adrenaline mixed in. Usually more stressful for the parents ... which makes the kiddo more anxious. Calm, be calm and supportive. Excited for your child, but in a positive way.

-Michael

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most tournaments will not take personal checks the day of the event, so have cash or a money order handy.

OP
N

Norma

Thank you for that info,, my husband and i where just gonna pay there with a check.. I think will pay tomorrow (upfront)

Can you tell me, If he will be givina number and set aside till the event? another question, i mentiond in my post that all young kids will receive a throphy no matter what it it a trophy per event or just one total? What is the purpose of a tournament? I mean, will this effect him his belt ect...?

i'm SOOO new at this i'm trying NOT to slam all these question all at once.

Norma

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tournaments usually do not affect belt promotions.

it is usually one trophy per division, although some tourneys do one trophy per child.

numbers are generally not assigned at tournaments, rather the competitors are called by name.

and the purpose of a tourney is to hone skills and have fun, and a little friendly competition. please don't ever let it turn into more than that for a child. Just let him have fun! :)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you usually see trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. In some smaller tournaments, they make sure the divisions are small enough to give a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds (that way nobody loses as they set it up with 4 kids per division).

It is a competition and about winnings, but sometimes, at a good tournament, everyone should feel like a winner. Some parents really get into it, as does their kid. There are horror stories about Moms or Dads running out and arguing with the referees or judges (an automatic disqualification if I am running the ring), and fortunatley the exception, not the rule.

Sometimes "Medals" are given instead of trophies, and I have seen schools that give patches to those kids who competed, whether they win or not. That is always nice. I have even seen a stripe given for a tournament, of course you got one for learning a set, doing 5 techniques, or knowing your basics also. 4-5 stripes and you get the next belt. But you only get one stripe in each catagory.

Just some variations.

-Michael

OP
N

Norma

Thanks,

I would never tell my son to do better,, He will do best he's the one in it not me,, He has his own goal and he's got to get him self there. i'm just there to love him and tell him how good he did.

I just never been to a karate tournament. So this is all new to me.
I would fine it stpid for himt o walk out with 2-3 trophies, he only needs one.

I would rather him get bages on his outfit.

I'm not a freaky perant LOL,,, i bet there are perants that fight, but since i don't know ANYTHING about karate i can't really fight over something i don't know. No worries there.

Norma

OP
I

imacsocal

it is always good to call and get the rules for each division your child is in. that way u know what to expect. also is it a tourne open to all styles or just kenpo. both are good but open get your child use to copeting against others. the most important think is to give your child a hug before and after competion. its very scary to compete. when they try they are champions no matter
what place they take

Latest Discussions