Question on 3/4 in puzzle mats???

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking at some great deals at the moment on puzzle mats and the question that I have is, are the 3/4 in thick puzzle mat suitable for falling techniques and for throws and rolls???

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends on the brand and durability. In my experience, quality and durability varies greatly and not always in proportion to the price. If you can, ask for a small sample.

Kwon mats are good for throws if you know how to land.

Gnarlie

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking at Amazon right now as one of the places and they are having a great deal on them and all high mark reviews on the mats. But I'm scared to see what shipping is going to cost when I do order them. I did look into great mats .com and for $88.00 I could get two sets of grappling mats but the kicker was that the shipping was $161 for a three day shipping rate. So I emailed them twice and no response back to see if there was a better rate on the shipping. So no dice on that company.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shipping is the big part of the cost - I managed to convince the supplier I was on route to their main depot. Only had to wait a couple of days but saved 100 quid. That was the shipping on 80 square metres.

Not sure I could do that with Amazon. Shipping may be something to take on the chin.

Gnarlie

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking at some great deals at the moment on puzzle mats and the question that I have is, are the 3/4 in thick puzzle mat suitable for falling techniques and for throws and rolls???
I use a 7/8" puzzle mat and even with a softer mat I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of falling unless you know how to land.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 7/8" puzzle mat and even with a softer mat I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of falling unless you know how to land.

And of course, you can't learn how to land if you don't have a steady diet of falling...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the mat is really good for throws and falls it may likely not be so good for kicking, The support foot may sink to an extent that twisting is tough and lead to twisting knees and ankles. The only solution is aa "Sprung Floor" where the surface doesn't give but the whole floor moves. Trained on a gymnastics floor used for floor exercise and it was the best. Cost is high. Was at a Aikido school where he had a stiff mat over softer mats with a similar effect. Also saw a guy who laid plywood over tires with mats on that for a similar effect.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
We use 4cm Tatami jigsaw mats at our school. They are soft enough for throwing.. (of course, thats with students that know how to fall properly.. but beginners seem okay on them too), and firm enough for kicking and sparring on. Occassionally, someone may twist a toe (ouch!).. due to the rubber gripping.. but its rare TBH.

Stuart

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
3/4" mats are fine if you're already comfortable falling. But I really don't think they'd be enough for new students. I learned on a wrestling mat like Instructor linked to, and that was pretty good.

Latest Discussions