Put mat in basement

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, I was estatic. For about a year I have wanted to put a mat in my basement. It is huge, so I figured I had a nice storage room to put my weight bench, dumbbell rack and weight tree in and still be able to use it, so I did.

Well for christmas my wife gave me a wavemaster kicking bag, the water or sand filled base of course. I had gotten 8 pieces of the 1/2 in. thick hard rubber floor matting from a friend at 10 bucks a piece. I was given a big roll of 1/4in. rebond carpet padding. So to finish off my project I bought 8 bags of the 12mm puzzle mat and got a fairly nice 10 x 12 remnant from Lowe's.

So for under 200 bucks I put together a 4 layer mat that is 10 x 12 in my basement.
layer
1. hard rubber
2. puzzle mat
3. carpet pad
4. carpet

I am pretty happy with it. Besides framing it, making it thicker does anyone have any suggestions?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes - don't make it too thick, especially if the surface is yielding rather than firm; a soft surface is nice to land on, but it can be hell on the knees when you pivot. It sounds like a great setup the way it is.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey that is great. I matted my basement with puzzle mats around seven years ago and I have never regretted the decision. In the long run it was cheaper than carpeting and pads.
icon10.gif

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Brian, I have a home dojang-about 10 x 10 with puzzle mats, a wavemaster, mirror and kwon go. Just big enough for personal training. Congratulations Matt! You will love the ability to train any time.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we have no basements in Texas so I envy all of you, best of luck with the basement training.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well we have no basements in Texas so I envy all of you, best of luck with the basement training.

:) Although this has been a very warm Winter so far (40 degrees and not a cloud in the sky as I type this), I think I'd prefer to be training outside in January rather than my basement.

Miles

PS-saw that MSUTKD stopped by-now if I could him back up to MI, perhaps he and I can train together again.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:) Although this has been a very warm Winter so far (40 degrees and not a cloud in the sky as I type this), I think I'd prefer to be training outside in January rather than my basement.

Miles

PS-saw that MSUTKD stopped by-now if I could him back up to MI, perhaps he and I can train together again.

Don't worry Miles he is all yours again but we will be having him again and we make it up to the Battle of Detroit we will see both of you.
Can not wait until then, by the way you going to the US Open in Florida?

Latest Discussions