Directions for Taking Up Puzzle Mats?

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
We're renting our puzzle mats for tournaments when people we know ask us. They're new and we want to take care of them as they were expensive.

Here's the problem: If we pay people to help us set up the rings they do a great job but it is expensive. If we let the schools' students do it some of the mats get damaged (ex. torn corners.) Most of the damage seems to occur during the strike down. (I won't even call it "ripping mats".)

I think if we provide directions to the helpers, they will follow them and the mats won't get damaged.

I was able to find set up directions on the internet. I can't find directions for taking them down. Can anyone help us?

(The mats are from Korea and didn't come with directions.)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like it is up to you to make them!
How about typing something up and posting it here, maybe someone can give you some good feedback, or perhaps you will help someone else!

One thing you could maybe do is require that the only people to take them up or put them down have to be adult black belts. Sometimes kids, and even adults who are just over-anxious to help will pull quickly and at an angle which would cause them to rip. Require the renters to have a conversation with their black belt adults (assuming they have enough, otherwise choose a handful of responsible students) and explain exactly what to do with the mats (per your instructions would be great!). I know you may not want to seems mean, but if you have some sort of extra payment required (or a deposit they won't get back) if they are torn people suddenly get a lot more careful!

Good luck!
We're renting our puzzle mats for tournaments when people we know ask us. They're new and we want to take care of them as they were expensive.

Here's the problem: If we pay people to help us set up the rings they do a great job but it is expensive. If we let the schools' students do it some of the mats get damaged (ex. torn corners.) Most of the damage seems to occur during the strike down. (I won't even call it "ripping mats".)

I think if we provide directions to the helpers, they will follow them and the mats won't get damaged.

I was able to find set up directions on the internet. I can't find directions for taking them down. Can anyone help us?

(The mats are from Korea and didn't come with directions.)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cannot this work in reverse, going the way to put them in, then go back the process to take them up?

I like the idea of a deposit to cover for damage. Deposit refundable if not damaged.

- Ceicei

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Puzzle mats come a part just like you put them together. There is no one way they all interlock so I'm confused. Stack them cover them and wait till the next time they need to be used, mine have been around for 8 years and still holding strong.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puzzle mats come a part just like you put them together. There is no one way they all interlock so I'm confused. Stack them cover them and wait till the next time they need to be used, mine have been around for 8 years and still holding strong.
I think the problem is that when they're loaned out, some folks aren't careful about pulling them up and just yank, tearing the tabs off. After all, a lot of the time at teardown after a tournament or clinic -- the emphasis is getting the stuff up and out, not always on taking care of it when it's picked up. :(