Self Def. BB Mag

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Current issue of BB Mag has an article with Rashad Evans.

I think it makes good reading.

One interesting point he raises is that when he percieved a possible confrontation he would tend to move to his right which would be the possible attackers left. This would make it more difficult for the attacker to land the right punched favored by ________ (Some, many, - avoiding the word to keep topic on track.)

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe that is called "staying off of the attack line." I'm not exactly sure where you are going with this thread. Did you possibly mean to add some more information to start the discussion?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That big haymaker is really only effective when aimed at a target in a fairly limited area. I'd say staying out of that area by moving in ANY direction is a good idea. Move right, left back, or even forward depending on the situation.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that is called "staying off of the attack line." I'm not exactly sure where you are going with this thread. Did you possibly mean to add some more information to start the discussion?

Well, there is more than the info I posted I thought was worthwhile. I would recommend that everyone interested in SD read it.

Staying or moving off the line is of course important. However this highlights the situation of staying off the line of a specific potential or anticipated attack.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that is called "staying off of the attack line."

Well, it's one way of getting off the line of attack, but it's not a single definitive way. You could angle to the left, just as easily.... I'd put moving to the right more in the category of tactical positioning. The reasoning that is given is not about being off the line of an attack, so much as it is in getting into a safer position. Getting off line is more something that is done when already being attacked ("staying" off the line is a continued application, really). For the record, I also prefer moving around to the right, but for slightly different reasons when already dealing with an attack.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While getting off the line of attack is a good idea (i.e. best way not to get hit is not to be there), we need to be careful not to move in a pre-determined direction by rote. Movement is dictated by the tactical layout of the area in which the altercation takes place. If the situation takes place between a couple of parked cars, you're limited in your direction of movement depending upon your position, and theirs. Same thing if you're in an elevator or on stairs. Best not to have a favorite direction of movement as that direction may be blocked. It is also dictated by other factors such as being with someone. If you're with a loved one for example, be it a spouse or child, that person may be at your side and open to harm if your movement in a particular direction isn't condusive to their safety.

Additionally, due to the tactical situation presented, forward or backward movement may be a better, or the only option. Bottom line is to train in all directions, with numerous types of tactical scenarios.