Puzzle Mats best price and thickness and shipping and handling

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering where does everyone get there puzzle mats from? Looking for the best price, something roughly around 2 inches thick, and great shipping and handling price.

Thanks

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where does everyone get there puzzle mats from? Looking for the best price, something roughly around 2 inches thick, and great shipping and handling price.

Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen 2" thick puzzle mats... the ones I'm familiar with are generally less than 1" thick. Where did you find such thick puzzle mats at all?

There are lots of thicker pads out there, but not (that I've ever seen) puzzle mats.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judo mats are much better. I know that when I open my own school, I will spend the extra for Judo mats. Those are 2" to 2 and 1/2" thick. And much softer for doing throws and such.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo mats are much better. I know that when I open my own school, I will spend the extra for Judo mats. Those are 2" to 2 and 1/2" thick. And much softer for doing throws and such.

Judo mats are awful for sparring on. They separate too much and it's easy to catch a toe or something.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
something roughly around 2 inches thick

Yikes, I think that'd be like trying to fight while standing on large marshmallows... doesn't sound fun at all.

Even the wrestling mats I'm familiar with aren't 2" thick and people get thrown and smashed into those all day long.

What level of quality are you looking for? Wholesale internet pricing on basic 3/4" puzzle mats are pretty standard at about $10 per 10 square feet, but they are bulky and heavy for shipping.

Is it for a dojo with lots of use or for home with a few partners? Around here you can even get EVA puzzle mats at Walmart for about $20 per 24 square feet and you wont pay a dime for shipping them. Maybe they would meet your needs?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get gun metal grey puzzle mats from our local home improvement store - they are 1" thick and each piece is 2' x 2', come in a package of four with removable borders.So that's 16 square feet in a package and they usually run between $15 and $20. I have approximately 450 square feet and have the same mat going up over the curb on two walls, have cut some pieces to fit the floor so that it does not slide. No adhesives were used.

I put this down on the concrete slab and that is our general training floor - fitness & warmups, forms and other patterns, and for grappling or techniques we put down zebra mats, 2" thick.

I have seen the 2" thick puzzle mats in some catalogs but they're way too pricey for my wallet.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WalMart (!) has 6-packs of 2'x2' puzzle mats, with edges, for like $19.00.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WalMart (!) has 6-packs of 2'x2' puzzle mats, with edges, for like $19.00.

Yeah I bought one package of those and am dissatisfied with their finish. They are also a tad thinner than the other ones I use on the rest of the floor, so the WalMart mats I placed by the door where there is a step down, sanitizing station and trash can.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What sort of finish? Do you mean the quality of the finish, or the texture?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What sort of finish? Do you mean the quality of the finish, or the texture?

Not pleased with the texture. $2012-04-28_11-28-46_916.jpg Here is a close-up picture of the Walmart mat puzzled in with the other mat. The top is from Walmart, the bottom is what I have on the rest of the floor. The Walmart pieces don't afford enough friction for what we do and having lost an ACL to slick mats before, I chose the more densely mottled mats.

One thing you will need to be sure of, though, is a pretty even floor. The concrete slab under my mats is NOT perfectly flat and, after about two years, I am now seeing this:
$2012-04-28_11-30-02_619.jpg
I will probably rotate some of the outer edge pieces to the inner quadrant, hoping they have less fatigue and may hold together in that spot a bit better.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I picked up a package of puzzle mats from Sams and they are not that great!! Great price but suited more for a day care if that.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How thick are they? I found some that are 1/4" thick and some 1/2" thick. These are 1" but suit the need for a finished floor - have thicker mats for the rest.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judo mats are awful for sparring on. They separate too much and it's easy to catch a toe or something.
I like them, even for sparring. If you have them in place properly they should not separate. Maybe there are different brands I don't know. All I know is there is a school up the way from me that has them and I have been to a couple of tournaments that used them and they feel great on the feet. And when doing SD you don't hurt so much when you get slammed, tossed, or flipped.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks

May I ask what you are planning to use them for?

Are you wanting something to cover the dojo (as in a stand a lone school) floor or your garage/dojo floor?

Are they going down permanent, or are you going to take them back up and put them down again?

Are you doing a throwing art, or a kicking striking art with some take downs thrown in?

I only ask because it would help to know what your intentions are, because there could be some other (types of mats) alternatives available.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think 2" puzzle mats would be a huge PITA to put together, and even worse to take apart and put back together. Personally I'd go with Zebra mats if 2" is genuinely needed.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's better to do it right from the start.

If you have your own dojo, then get a wholesale account with Asian World of Martial Arts.

They're 1 square meter each, and 7/8" thick, which is the optimal compromise.

If you have a wholesale account, and order in bulk, then they're significantly cheaper than the retail price.

These mats will be shipped via freight truck, not UPS / Fedex, so it's better to order all of the mats that you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions