Question for you TKD guy's

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aside from covering the specific kyu grade curriculum, I think that testing often reflects what is important to the instructor. Thus, what is important specificaly to me may be different from what is specifically important to you.

My GM is very, very concerned with attitude and demeanor, saying that if the mind is there, then the body will follow. Now, he values and grades on technical elements as well, but the mental is his biggest priority in grading a test. His tests tend to be very physically demanding with sparring at the very end. He wants to see the students maintain composure and spirit after he's worn them out with tons of warmups, kicks, punches, and blocks. Forms is done right before sparring. Again, he doesn't want the student doing the form when fresh. He wants to see them maintain the composure and correctness when they've been worn out. I think that it is safe to say that indomitable spirit is the attribute he prizes most in a student.

The following links are ones that I found, the first being very general, the last being the most detailed.

http://www.barrel.net/belts.php
http://www.uvm.edu/~tkd/site/docs/time_requirements.pdf
http://www.natkd.com/belt_test_guide.htm
http://www.givanstkdacademy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=91

Hope these are helpful!

Daniel

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not a recommendation, just a word of encouragement. I was training a mixed style that my instructor created his own name for (didn't realize folks would see that in a negative light...not sure I understand why but it never bothered me) where the two primary styles they taught were TKD and Kenpo. I can say I loved the training, the classes and the instructors. Obviously you have found the biggest testament that you are doing something good, people want more of it! I had to move, and decided I didn't want to try a similar yet different mixture of styles, so I am training pure bjj now, but I still like to spend a little time on a heavy bag going through some of those drills...and I'll admit, not for self defense but just to look cool, I occasionally bring out the nunchukas as well :D

Keep doing the right thing by your students while being true to yourself and you will continue in your success, I'm sure!

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you still teach kenpo as well?

Yes sir, I do. My kenpo classes are on monday & wednesday. Each adult class is from 6:30-8. The class I am inquiring about on here is from roughly 7:30-9+. The reason they overlap is b/c I don't have but a couple of adult kenpo students. As I am winding down with their class I have the others starting on their flow drills. When the kenpo class is completely done everyone joins in together. We spend at least 15-20 minutes on hand to hand flow drills. At 8, I bow out the one class & begin the other.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a recommendation, just a word of encouragement. I was training a mixed style that my instructor created his own name for (didn't realize folks would see that in a negative light...not sure I understand why but it never bothered me) where the two primary styles they taught were TKD and Kenpo. I can say I loved the training, the classes and the instructors. Obviously you have found the biggest testament that you are doing something good, people want more of it! I had to move, and decided I didn't want to try a similar yet different mixture of styles, so I am training pure bjj now, but I still like to spend a little time on a heavy bag going through some of those drills...and I'll admit, not for self defense but just to look cool, I occasionally bring out the nunchukas as well :D

Keep doing the right thing by your students while being true to yourself and you will continue in your success, I'm sure!

Sir, I told them right from the very beginning that we would focus heavily on kicking, punching, & striking. More emphasis is spent on punching w/kicking drills. I also made sure they were informed that this class was not a kenpo class. Now, what I did do was pull out my old testing sheets from my 1st instructor. He at that time was a 3rd black in TKD. I'm revising those testing sheets to reflect what I want & what the students have all asked me to teach them. In effect, we do the bulk of hte work on TKD drills, however, I also have shown them the kenpo freestyle techniques, filipino & chinese drills that I have learned along my path. During my time with my first instructor I was given the opportunity to train full contact. So yeah, they get a little piece of that as well. We only meet on monday nights. This is why the class varies in length. Until I'm satisfied we're done for the night we call it quits. What I am not trying to do is make my own art. Nor, give it some ingenious, crafty name I came up with. I'm just a guy who hasn't quit the arts & has a room full of guy's, oh & 1 woman who love this type of training. It's been great so far. Love watching them grow even in this short time period.
Salute,
Jason

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guy's, you just 'gotta let me say that our session last night kicked major @ss! Period! We had 9 guy's on the mat & what's the most fun about it is... Not one single person there has an attitude problem, ego issue's, it's nothing but great attitudes. People willing to work & help one another. Some students I have at this class have more martial arts experience over others that are just brand new. We all work together to better each other. I'm so happy & thrilled to be teaching this class that it relight my spark again.

And a good time was had by all!!!! Sounds like things are going great - congratulations!

Now, with that being said,
Does anyone here have a website to look at some of the different requirements for the different belt levels? I'd like to see what is updated material or what might be a good idea to keep or to remove. I'm in the process of putting togehter some requirements & have my old sheets but would like to view some other ideas.

Thanks for the help.
Salute,
jason

The ITF pattern sequence can be found here. I don't know if that will help you or not.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you all who have responded. I've still got many things to do in efforts to really make this a great class. Putting together the requirements has been a little strenuous. Again, thanks all for the help & suggestions.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's been another month since posting on my new class. I have actually picked up 2 more students for this as well. One of my students is going to Iraq here within a few months & he will be greatly missed. Gained another woman who has, in 1 class committed to coming on a regular basis starting last monday night. Still & again as always, every single person on the mat has a great attitude w/desire to learn as well as get better. Everyone helps one another to which, it's a great feeling seeing that many people wanting to help eachother.

My typical class runs like this...
We warm up with chinese & filipino hand to hand drills. This I believe really begins to loosen the upper body up. Next we move into our basics. Standing in a horse doing our thing. From then moving onto the kicking basics. From there we move into our what I would consider more kickboxing type drills. That being many different type combinations of punching, kicking, doing it in the air then on a bag or focus mit. When the sweat really starts to roll we get a body in front of eachother to work on the kenpo freestyle techniques or depending on my mood, standard one step sparring. Everyone loves to do either of these 2 drills. Therefore I try to flip back & forth between covering these during the month. Lastly, we put the pads on to see what we can get done on eachother.

One of my long time friends, also former training partner's come in to help with the class as well. So while I"m insturcting he drops by someone to give them a pointer or 2. This has just been great so far. I'm loving it.
Thought I'd share my experiences with you all.
jason

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know I am repeating what a few others have already said, but I am in a similar situation. My father has owned a school for more than 20 years now, and growing up I was able to train in many different styles. Now that I run my own school, I incorporate Moo Duk Kwan, Kukkiwon, and the ITF forms along with Hapkido, Judo, and Shotokan techniques. We wear WTF style uniforms but I teach my students to learn any and every style they can.

I believe as long as you are up front with your students about what they are learning, it doesn't matter what you call the class. You mentioned that you are certified in TKD, so teaching under that label, but supplementing the knowledge you pass on with other styles is not false advertisement. I applaud your open minded attitude toward training.

Latest Discussions