Question about adrenaline rushes

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know alot of people experience this and such, but I was wondering what is a good way to control emotions when fighting in a real situation.

You know how most fights start in anger, I can easily tell when I'm mad/nervous at the same time since my cheeck twitches.

This is weird that it twitches, I brought this up since I was looking at some kid in school after he got in the face of my friend and he started talking trash.

I know he wasn't going to try to fight me, since he walked away instead of getting in my face, but this still gave me an adrenaline rush and made me nervous.

I have never been in a "real" fight with someone I don't know and haven't hit anyone bare fist in the face. So I am wondering what are ways to overcome this?

I know friends who will fight out of no where and don't think twice about hitting someone in the face.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Experience. I used to freeze up alot when I got the adrenaline rush but now I stay focused and ready. Plus just be aware of it, the first step to controlling it is knowing it is coming when you get in a stressful situation. If you count on it coming then it won't affect you as much when it's there.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, its hard to do stuff about it.

Its annoying that my cheek twitches and I am wondering if its ovbious to other people.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed today with my partner in class. His hands twitched when he got nervous. We were only doing pad drills. He did his thing, then he held the pad for me and he was twitching. The pad was all over the place (mind you I'm a green belt. He's a red belt). He had good power, but I think he was affraid of me ..... why???? I just a rookie LOL.

Anyways, I have fought in defense on the street. I can't really remember if I was nervous. I just re-acted. Maybe it was because my TSD instructor always drilled the self defense techs with us. Almost every class, we learned some kind of self defense. I think that's why I just "re-acted".

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the situation happens fast theres no time for adrenaline and nervousness. What Carbon is talking about is the anger/stress/fear and adrenaline dump that comes from aniticipation of violence.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
U must learn to relax
Fear is ok it keeps us on our toes.
But do not let it consume U.

Anger can be the enemy in a fight.
Try & remain calm u will fight better.

If U get to excited U can gas out real quick.

My Father U alway yelled at me as a kid
He shouted Tranquilo Tranquilo

Which means Relax Relax
He always said to stay Focused

I keep his words in my head.
They make sence to me know.:cheers:
:cheers:
Wicked Sweet

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adrenaline rush causes the blood vessels in my face to constrict and my face would turn sheet white. Usually that would freak the bastards out, thinking that I might drop dead or something :rolleyes: :D , and I would walk away winning by default. :D

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol :)

It just makes me think why this kid would talk crap to me after he almost got in a fight with 3 other people when playing basketball.

Its funny though, but twitching is quite a good indicator that I need to calm down.

I think if I worked on it that I could probably have more self control.

It was a freshmen and I'm a senior I guess he was just caught up in the moment.

T

TkdWarrior

when it happens normally ppl freezes...
anyway if the situation is on ur head u hav around 3-4 secs in which u can react, the aderaline rush will occur only when u hav realized the situation and realizes u r in deep *****...
it can be avoided by meditation u get more intuitive with it...
develop something called "Sixth Sense" which will help u in controlling situation...
basically everyone has this "Sixth Sense" but not many ppl understand its language...
-TkdWarrior-

K

Kong

Breath control is very important in dealing with stress/adrenalin, Qigong could be very helpful in developing the ability to stay calm and control your body`s reactions to stressful situations. At least that`s my experience.

H

Humble artist

This is quite a large subject on it´s own with psychological and physiological things in it.
But if what you´re after is how to deal with adrenaline rush/stress effects then,basically,training which relates and simulates this kind of thing is the way to go.
Only all "real" way to this would be to actually get into a life threatening situation but that is not what a balanced person is looking for.Any good training in your MA will teach you confidence over your fears and natural,subconcious responses for such threats and therefore prepare you in a way,for best of stimulation it would be good to spar when you can etc. as this is what is likely to bring such feelings on top of you (remember fear is a valuable thing and should not be ignored,but as constant thing taking advantage it can cause both mental&physical health damage)
Having some quickly building up adrenaline (-&related stress hormones and symptoms) will boost your blood circulation and within bringing you more speed and power for either running or defending (such situation may also cause many to freeze up trough this nervous energy,which training helps with I believe)
When it comes to negative things,it will also rob you off fine motor skills and cause various natural,instinctive reactions like trembling and cold hands,dry mouth and upset stomach until the situation is over and your state returns to normal trough some similar effects.
As if you are,and hopefully are interested in this in medical and related ways I recommend you to study on this issue (it might help you to understand it as a whole,read yourself and as a very important thing also to learn read opponent´s body language and non-verbal cues which are closely related to this)
That might be helpful for you,also remembering that control of this issue can also be approached trough proper mechanics of breathing and other things.
I hope this is at least part what you might be looking for,if not we can go on with this if you wish.

:asian:

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would training also be a way to overcome hitting someone in the face?

I have never hit anyone bare knuckle before, and when you picture it in your mind I have the fear that I won't beable to do any damage and that my efforts will be fruitless in the attempt to fend of an attacker.

Or if you dream about a fight, usually in my dreams when I hit someone its very slow like someone has it on freeze frame.

M

muayThaiPerson

Carbon,

dude, i know EXACTLY how u feel. trust me, u wont overcome this unless u get into a few fights. this fear can exist for years.

what u need to do is to keep distance and be open about being ready to defend youself. NEVER EVER hit the guy first becuase yull be in such a rush that u wont know what to do next.

what i do, and it indeed does work is to not be urself at the moment. i imagine myself in a 3rd person veiw looking at how great my form is.

heres reality:
1) you will get hit atleast once
2) ur gonna react to instinct
3) ur probably gonna panic

my advice is for u to think of what ur doing to him and not what hes doing to u

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"trust me, u wont overcome this unless u get into a few fights"

That's like, the worst advice I've ever heard.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

T

TkdWarrior

i agree with damien...
it would be too stupid to go out on streets and ask for fights...
-TkdWarrior-

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, when I had to use MA, the adrenaline didn't hit me til after. during, it was just action and reaction, and I don't even completely remember, but the adrenaline rush didn't happen til I was safe and started thinking about the "what ifs"

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll just repost what I said earlier in the thread.

"If the situation happens fast theres no time for adrenaline and nervousness. What Carbon is talking about is the anger/stress/fear and adrenaline dump that comes from aniticipation of violence."

There's 2 types of encounters. Instant ones where you barely have time to think and the slow build up ones where people talk ***** for 5 minutes before someone takes a swing.

No offence to the ladies on our forum but I'm not surprised both of you in this thread have only had instant self defence experiences. I think it's rare if ever that a man will build up to a fight with a woman. But that is a VERY common event for men... we go through that crap all throughout our childhood and right into adulthood. When a man attacks a woman it's usually for a sinister goal, when a man gets aggressive to the point of fighting with another man it's usually based on an ego problem.

I just thought it was interesting getting this perspective from the ladies as I think it demonstrates the different worlds we live in. Most women have no idea what it's like to have someone turn to you and say "what're you looking at?!" But I think every man on this forum will admit to having something similar happen to them at least once in their lives. It is followed by that adrenaline and nervous anger/fear that I remember all too fondly from my younger years.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends on the situation. If its a random attack on a woman, then your theory would be correct.

however, if its a domestic violence incident, or if the person has been violent before, it presents another situation entirely, because those situations usually start out as arguments and escalate to violence.

T

TkdWarrior

carbon
u need little bit of confidence first...
1. so start training hard...gave time to conditoin ur body(shin,arms.abdomen)
2. start meditation...
3. visualize that u won't be DEAD...
and as i said earlier that aderaline rush didn't happen for first 2-4 seconds it happens when u realise u r in deep trouble(i m sayin after reading some research material by dude, dam i forgot his name n it's my experience too)
the last time i had fight it was like 2 guys tryin to overpower me... first arguing started... as soon as they start shoving around i knew wat i had to do...so they wer down in matter of seconds. i remember(side effect of figt :D) i got Football Type Kick around my thighs but it didn't stoped me...
4. try to improve on reflexes too
do one drill stand in horse riding stance and from shoulder hieght u drop one coin and from other hand(which is on waist) try to grab....u can make this advace by giving the coin to another person and u catch with either hand...
then u can add shout or any word before shootin for catch...
ur hand-eye coordination will improve...
remember it's the attitude and will which will carry u thru diversity not courage...
any questions u can always PM me...
regards.
-TkdWarrior-

T

TkdWarrior

hmm damien pointed out rite thing...my encounter acc to him was second kind...
anyways on another type of encounters it's difficult remain unhurt but again hand-eye coordination will help so does will to survive.
-TkdWarrior-

Latest Discussions