A serious question....

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To make a long question short....I have found myself in violent situations before , sometimes my awareness has tipped me off to the coming danger, only to start a huge rush of adrenaline. Not always a good thing for me.

This huge rush often leaves me half defeated prior to the first strike, shakiness and weakness sets in ... this could be deadly, for sure.

I suppose to a ring fighter, or someone who likes to fight this would not be a problem...because they fight all the time. can anyone give some guidance on this.... Perhaps this effects me more than others, but surely there are ppl here that have experienced similar things. I often think my body dumps too much adrenaline into my veins....but more likely I just need to learn to controll it.

any advice will be appreciated. thanks

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa, tough question..That type of control come from mental discipline..Facing an opponent with ABSOLUTE CALM,.....Are you currently studying MA now??? Speak to your instructor...I'm sure some of the others will have better advice...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off...you are no different than anyone else when it comes to that adrenaline rush. There are entire fighting systems built around dealing with that dump. Reality Based Self Defense systems will use what are called "woofers" as an aggressor to try to emulate the dump and teach you to deal with it. Other systems will as well but the RBSD guys are the first ones that come to mind. Don't worry, I have the same dump that you have when the "stuff" hits the fan.

I'm a Nihon Goshin Aikido practitioner and one of the ways that we learn to deal with it is to run an attack line that seems like it will never end. By the time you reach the end of it you are too exhausted to use any muscle and are doing technique based on how well they are ingrained into your head...almost instinctively. This simulates the weakness and shaky legs that you get with the dump. There are others here on this forum that will be able to give you much more and better advice. I just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To make a long question short....I have found myself in violent situations before , sometimes my awareness has tipped me off to the coming danger, only to start a huge rush of adrenaline. Not always a good thing for me.

This huge rush often leaves me half defeated prior to the first strike, shakiness and weakness sets in ... this could be deadly, for sure.

I suppose to a ring fighter, or someone who likes to fight this would not be a problem...because they fight all the time. can anyone give some guidance on this.... Perhaps this effects me more than others, but surely there are ppl here that have experienced similar things. I often think my body dumps too much adrenaline into my veins....but more likely I just need to learn to controll it.

any advice will be appreciated. thanks

Hmm, I haven't experienced that since I was a kid, where the adrenalin jump doesn't last through the whole experience.

How old are you? I'm not asking to question your maturity, but if you're under 25 or so, your body may not be handling the dump correctly. It may be something your body learns to handle over time.

What I would probably do is to find "moderately" dangerous situations, and train my body that it's okay to be scared. (Not your mind, necessarily, you certainly don't sound fearful). Try roller coasters, riding a motorcyle, public speaking, learning something new, something that gives a controllable "rush." It may help you learn how to deal with that feeling, without overdoing.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "dump" is normal. Some people get the dump when they think something is coming and others feel it after an incident. I think the first thing you should do is realize what it is and do not freak out. You know it is coming, so be ready for it, acknowledge it and push through it.

I know after an incident I get the shakes and have even had the urge to throw up. I know it is coming and have learned to deal with it.

A smoke after an incident always seems to calm my nerves!!!! HAHAHA No really they do help.

KogaTengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the more you experience it, the more comfortable you will become with it. As others have stated, a bit of intense sparring/reality SD training may be of some help.

Cheers,

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the more you experience it, the more comfortable you will become with it. As others have stated, a bit of intense sparring/reality SD training may be of some help.

Cheers,

Get one of padded FIST suits or one of the ones that Tony Blauer makes and go at it...

OP
W

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
these are all good suggestions....

to answer a few of you...I do train in wing chun, and TKD and Kenpo before that. I am 32 yrs old...

the thing is that sparring does'nt bring on this dump...because I know there is no real danger. I can go at it with a bloody nose and a smile in the gym. My line of work puts me in dangerous situations.... such as being robbed in seamingly abandoned towns in and around New Orleans after Katrina for example....

and believe it or not, now alot of those same punks have moved right here in my apartment complex in dallas. 80% of the occupants here are from bad "hoods" in new orleans. doors have been kicked in around here etc. etc., the crime rate here used to be zero. I have gotten into it with some of these guys several times......

but anyway, it's the real life situations that dump the adrenaline that can be half the battle for me...and that is dangerous. know what I mean ?

thanks for the advice

RyuKyuBushi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This book offers some insight and training ideas that may help. Everyone gets the dump....its how you deal with it that makes all the difference.

Real Fighting: Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario-Based Training (Paperback)
by Peyton Quinn

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some good advice so far. I am a firm believer that the only way you will ever get used to the way it is making you feel is to experience it in a very nasty situation. I have been fighting in the ring for years and I still get that feeling in an uncontrolled situation. If you ever stop feeling it you need to ask yourself why and you may need to get away from fighting for a while. It is truly all how you deal with it.

Please understand that I am not suggesting you go out and start street fighting, but it is truly the only way you are going to learn to deal with it. You can do soem RBSD style training, and it will HELP, but don't expect it to ever go away. JMHO.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The sense of impending danger will cause your sympathetic nervous to kick in which causes the adrenal dump and hyperventilated type breathing.

There's a good reason why a number of TMAs teach breath control and that is because the resperatory system and the nervous system is interconnected - the glandular system is controlled by the nervous. Shifts in the nervous system will cause a change in the glandular and the resperatoy systems and vice versa. Proper use of breathing can be used to shift into the parasympathetic nervous system and subdue, control, or even possibly even prevent adrenal dump.

An important part of the equation is also posture as keeping your weight forward on the balls of your feet and rolling your shoulders forward will not only allow you to move quicker but also keep your lungs from over-filling which will help prevent/control/slow the adrenal dump.

Do you know what's a great tool to develop your posture and breath control?
--------

Kata.

_Don Flatt

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
these are all good suggestions....

to answer a few of you...I do train in wing chun, and TKD and Kenpo before that. I am 32 yrs old...

the thing is that sparring does'nt bring on this dump...because I know there is no real danger

Time to kick your training up a notch..Read the post by theletch1 (#3)..He mentions using woofers, someone to verbally crank up..Stand there and let him rant and rave..You cannot do ANYTHING physical unless he attacks..We do a similar exercise in the academy.I like the woofer idea and we are going to add it to our scenarios..

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone experiences the adrenaline dump. However, people can be trained to SLOW it down. The slower it happens, the more calm one can be in the face of danger.

There is also the mindset of training. If you are attacked with the intent to harm, during training, it feels far different than an attack coming at you from a friendly sparring partner. The feelings are completely different. Train as if your life depends on it! Of course it requires a committed training partner who going to seriously attack and not turn it into a game.

IN MY OPINION! :)