Question about adrenaline rushes

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya a domestic violence situation is kind of similar. It's a little different because it's someone you know/love but probably the same feelings come into play with the anticipation of violence. The reason I think it is different is people get an adrenaline rush and anxiety because they might have to fight and are building up to possibly committing violence themselves. For a woman in a domestic abuse situation it's more along the lines of fearing for ones own safety with no option to fight back or defend yourself. Meaning no anxiety or dump for fighting but more straight up fear of getting hurt period.

I remember when I was a a very small kid there was a period of time my mother was in a depression and I was in a constant state of fear at home. She was always ready to set off and I had to walk on eggshells to try not to anger her. To this day I can remember the fear constantly under all my other feelings, always terrified of doing the wrong thing. Day in and day out. Thankgod that didn't last for too long. I can imagine a domestic abuse situation is kind of similar... it makes me very sad just thinking about what some women go through.

Damian Mavis
Honor TKD

M

muayThaiPerson

it would be too stupid to go out on streets and ask for fights...

i never advised him to ask for fights. i was saying after a few fights, the fear isnt as bad

J

J-kid

Since i am almost 16 and i am really into ufc and that sort of stuff. I came across this problem a wall ago. This is how i deal with it i train hard. A good idea is to spar full contact or work your way up with slap boxing and then go gloves full contact, It didnt take me very long to get over Adernaline Dump as i call it, The adrenaline is your bodys way of trying to get you out of this situation that your brain dosnt wanna be in , Where your subconsise feels you will be harmed . Trian hard and train to fight. The way to counter the Adrenaline Dump is to keep relaxed when you get a Adrenaline dump you get tired faster , Gain some strength but at the same time you lose some speed and it becomes harder to react. Your muscles start to porduce this chemical (i forgot the name of ) and this does some diffrent stuff , Anyhow train for FULL contact and you should see 100% inprovement in the fact you wont get much of a adrenaline dump once your used to it. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

S

sammy3170

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

If the situation happens fast theres no time for adrenaline and nervousness.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

This is incorrect. What do you think the fight or flight response is? Once you are in a situation the dump happens regardless of how fast it occurs. It just manifests itself differently in different people.

Cheers
Sammy

S

sammy3170

Originally posted by nightingale8472

personally, when I had to use MA, the adrenaline didn't hit me til after. during, it was just action and reaction, and I don't even completely remember, but the adrenaline rush didn't happen til I was safe and started thinking about the "what ifs"

I agree. I had an altercation with a group of kids (15 or so) and there were about 4 of us. We pretty much talked the situation down and saved one poor kid from a beating but a couple of kids hung around and were mouthing off and wouldn't leave. They both turned to me and they were a bit smaller so I wasn't about to hit them and after some firm verbal encouragment they left. When we got back to my friends house I dumped hard. My hands were shaking and I was was absolutely amped. We heard that they had knives and maybe it was the what ifs that caused the dump. Regardless of anything I know the symptoms of the adrenal dump make it hard to fight so I'm glad it came later.

Cheers
Sammy

S

sammy3170

I know my last two posts sound contradicory but if you are threatened very suddenly you will be effected by adrenalin whether positively or negatively.

The altercation that I got into wasn't that physically threatening and we did instigate it to protect the young kid getting chased. It was mostly verbal and I believe there in lies the difference.

Cheers
Sammy

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know exactly what your talking about, I have felt this many times, in fact, I think any and ever time I have ever been in an encounter on the street, it has happened. I think to a point if you don't feel anything at all, that is just as much a problem as feeling it too much. I guess the point is to control it, through breathing, think your situation through completely, that works great for me. While the "other guy" is spouting off and talking crap, I'm surveying the area, the ground type, are there other people around the area, if so could they possibly get involved? Is the ground level, is there space to avoid and run if possible, what about the guy, does he carry himself athleticaly? I also think through the situation in terms of why its happening. I look in his eyes and try to decide if this is something he is doing to look tough in front of someone, this would tie in with surveying the surrounding area. Is he just a pissed off person and looking to fight, things like that, they will help you stay in control of the situation, and surprisingly help you talk yourslef out of alot of fights if you try hard enough.

7sm

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ya the dumps are bad. I weak in my legs after the dump is over like it took all the energy out of my body.

Most people are just trying to look tought infront of someone else I think.

I mean I doubt alot of people want to actually fight, I mean I don't want to get in fights, because in fear that someone is going to get hurt and it might be me.

Ya its alot different. If your nervous about how well someone can fight and they are a hard @$$ and get in your face and start talkign crap its hard to decide what to do.

Like right in your face spitting on you, stuff like that it makes it even worse and to remain calm is something that someone who knew they couldn't take him would try to get out.

I'm not saying that you should start a fight just because someoen got in your face but to try and disrespect you infront of friends/family I would say hitting him once might not be so bad.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

Ya the dumps are bad. I weak in my legs after the dump is over like it took all the energy out of my body.

Most people are just trying to look tought infront of someone else I think.

I mean I doubt alot of people want to actually fight, I mean I don't want to get in fights, because in fear that someone is going to get hurt and it might be me.

Ya its alot different. If your nervous about how well someone can fight and they are a hard @$$ and get in your face and start talkign crap its hard to decide what to do.

Like right in your face spitting on you, stuff like that it makes it even worse and to remain calm is something that someone who knew they couldn't take him would try to get out.

I'm not saying that you should start a fight just because someoen got in your face but to try and disrespect you infront of friends/family I would say hitting him once might not be so bad.

I think once you progress in MA you will understand more, but one hit might as well be 10 hits. You are fighting none-the-less. You are becoming as bad as them by fighting, and one hit is fighting, if you can't control yourself completely, you can't control yourself period.

7sm

G

GouRonin

Go to google and do a search on "adrenaline dump" and use that as your springboard to understanding more on this issue. Your body has specific responses to it.

T

theneuhauser

Since i was probably 6 or 8 years old, ive always smiled when i was in a scary situation. im not sure why i started doing this, but somehow i knew early on how to get my rush under control. a couple friends have tried it before (sort of an imitation of me as an inside joke) when they would get into it, and i think one of them is still smiling at people that want to take his head off. i dont know if it will work for you but you might want to give it a try. just smile! i guess it might sound a little silly to some of you, but it has several effects for me. 1-some people just cool off when they see me smile(fight's over). 2-some freak out because they think youre belittling them with your smile and they lose it totally(fight's over).3-it really calms me down and allows me to collect my agression and focus(fight's not over yet, but at least youre feeling good about yourself).

So give it a smile!

M

muayThaiPerson

from what ive read, it seems to be all in the mind. if u train hard, youre confident about yourself. is that what u all mean? becuase with normal training, you ARE capable of edfeating the opponent.

jmho

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is mainly mental. Breathing helps tremendously, but the trick to overcoming it is in your head. Accept it, don't try to stop it from happening, understand it and you will control it.

jmo
7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sammy, when I say instant I mean instant not "threatened very suddenly". I'm talking about when your attacked with no lead up, no warning and no time to think. If there's any kind of warning than you can feel the dump, the couple of times I've been jumped totally out of the blue I didn't feel it until after the event... mind you the event was only a few seconds long both times. And yes I'm talking about how you feel it not whether the chemical was actually released as all that matters is how it effects you at what point.

All the times I've been in a situation like Carbon's (the ***** talking leading up to the fight) I've felt that dump while anticipating violence.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

G

GouRonin

It is not just a mental thing. Adrenaline is a physical chemical that your body secretes into it's system for a flight or fight syndrome and more. There are specific effects that it has on the body both with the oncoming rush and the resulting crash coming down.

While there are breathing excericises and mental work you can do to control it this does not mean that you will. Normal training in a gym, however hard, will not guarantee that you can deal with it any more than you would be able to deal with the effects of trying an illict drug like LSD for the first time. And do not kid yourself that it isn't a drug. It is.

Like any activity it must be experienced, analyzed, worked, and repeated. Any martial arts teacher who tells you otherwise is LYING to you. The whole concept of training "kicking in" is not as valid as you think because your own mind (fear of the unknown) and body (adrenaline dump effects) will defeat you.

I would love to hear from Ace on this as he has some valid MMA experience. While he might not be able to articulate the scientific events of what he felt he will definately be able to tell you how he felt. I have felt it in full contact boxing and it is very real.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this allot lately, kinda weird someone posted it! Do you think the "dump" is created because of our training and the mental awareness of what violence can do to you or others, either conscience or unconscious? I mean, do you think the punk who is walking up shouting his crap talk and diarrhea of the mouth, do you think he feels it the same? I mena do you think he feels the same "dump" of adrenaline before the fight? I dont' know what I think, I mean if they did wouldn't thye be pretty stupid to go ahead and start the fight?

7sm

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by 7starmantis
Do you think the "dump" is created because of our training

No. It's a natural event of the human body in nature.

Do you think the "dump" is created because of the mental awareness of what violence can do to you or others, either conscience or unconscious?

Yes. The human body has it's own natural responses to danger.

do you think the punk who is walking up shouting his crap talk and diarrhea of the mouth, do you think he feels it the same? I mena do you think he feels the same "dump" of adrenaline before the fight?

Yes. Maybe not to the same degree initially, maybe he has more experience with it and hence has more control, perhaps he bit off more than her can chew. In any case he will feel the same effects as you will unless he is from the planet Mars.

Or if it's that cold, unfeeling, inhuman, heartless biotch I call my ex-girlfriend.
:rofl:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, while I agree with you in some areas, I have to disagree in others. While the "dump" is most deffinatly happening in terms of addrenaline being released in the mind, that is true, but in the terms of the feeling you receive from it, those differ in every person medicaly speaking. And while the body recognizes danger and reacts, that recognition of danger has to be acquired by the mind and body first. Ever seen a baby reach up and grab a hot stove? That same person as an adult will start to slip and fall reaching for the stove then unconsiously not grab the stove, but the chair sitting in front of it. While the person falling did not think to grab th chair instead because the stove would burn them, the body had been conditioned to recognize danger and react.
That is the same conditioning I think we as MAist have that others do not. We recognize a potentialy dangerous situation for what it is and alot of "street fighters" at least young ones have not had the "privaledge" of knowing what a knee break can do to someone.

jmo
7sm

G

GouRonin

Yeah, while I agree with you in some areas, I have to disagree in others. While the "dump" is most deffinatly happening in terms of addrenaline being released in the mind, that is true, but in the terms of the feeling you receive from it, those differ in every person medicaly speaking.

Unless you have a radically different body structure than every other person on the planet then no, not you won't experience a different feeling. The human body does not secrete exact chemicals that affect everyone differently. What is different is the action taken in response to the danger based on experience.

And while the body recognizes danger and reacts, that recognition of danger has to be acquired by the mind and body first. Ever seen a baby reach up and grab a hot stove? That same person as an adult will start to slip and fall reaching for the stove then unconsiously not grab the stove, but the chair sitting in front of it. While the person falling did not think to grab th chair instead because the stove would burn them, the body had been conditioned to recognize danger and react.

Their body has NOT been conditioned otherwise. Their mind has. Their body will react to the adrenaline the same way everytime until their body becomes accustomed to the surge. There are ways to control and reach this point such as desensitizing or dehumanizing the situation. Making it abstract. Breath or mind control are vehicle to these ends.

That is the same conditioning I think we as MAist have that others do not.

No it is not. You can train day in and day out and until you experience the adrenaline dump and it's effects regularily and learn to do something such as disassociation you will not have that conditioning. 90% of martial artists do not train in this manner despite what they thik they are doing in their dojo. Police officers, firefighters, and the like do. That is why they have things like "Critical stress debriefing" sessions they use.

We recognize a potentialy dangerous situation for what it is and alot of "street fighters" at least young ones have not had the "privaledge" of knowing what a knee break can do to someone. imo

Recognition is important as it triggers the adrenaline dump and resulting effects. But other than that you're wrong. Street fighters will deal far better with it just because they are street fighters. They have the surge and dump on a regular basis and have learned to manage it through whatever natural resource the use. Knowing what a knee break will do to someone doesn't mean anything if you never experience and re-experience the adrenaline dump to crash phenomona.

T

theneuhauser

seriously, just smile.

nullifies "dumps" in the endocrine system, and your pants, too.