Q an A

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Conaster, Thank you very much for a complete and thorough reply. I appreciate the difficulty in clearly explaining three dimensional body movements in a linquistic format. I imagine it is a bit time consuming to be appropriately descriptive.

My question dealt specifically with the first two steps of your technique write-up.
From your explanation, I can see that what I was trying to say is correct; I want to kick out his left leg sooner than expected.
From your explanation, I can see that what they are saying is also correct; you got to block that front kick (I was trying to avoid it by moving off the center line).

The biggest difference is where my back foot is moving. I can see how the first move to a cat stance will make this technique more effective and quicker than the way I was performing the move; step off center ... shuffle ... kick.

Thank you again.

Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7,

Dang ... I tried to give you Rep points for the great explanation, but I guess I had given you some recently so I couldn't do it.

Public KUDOS instead.

Oss,
-Michael

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Goldendragon7,
Dang ... I tried to give you Rep points for the great explanation, but I guess I had given you some recently so I couldn't do it.
Public KUDOS instead. Oss, -Michael
Well, Thank you very much... You are too kind.

Gd7

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
carmstrong said:
Mr. Conatser, I was wondering if you would post the complete list of the 10 techniques and their related techniques on MartialTalk.
Thanks, Chris
Ok ok....... geeze..... here ya go....... :)

THUNDERING HAMMERS + 32 "variations of"
FIVE SWORDS + 46
LONE KIMONO + 9
INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE + 4
SHIELDING HAMMER + 20
REPEATING MACE + 8
LOCKED WING + 1
THRUSTING SALUTE + 2
PARTING WINGS + 24
HOOKING WINGS + 4

MASTER KEY TECHNIQUES

MASTER KEY MOVEMENT(S) are defined as being a move or series of moves that can be used in more than one predicament with equal effect. For example a rear heel kick, shin scrape, and instep stomp can be used for a FULL NELSON, BEAR HUG with the arms free or pinned, REAR ARM LOCK, etc. Or, an arm break can be applied to a cross wrist grab, a lapel grab, or hair grab -‑ application of the arm break would remain constant, but the methods of controlling the wrist would vary. In comparison, MASTER KEY TECHNIQUES entail sequential arrangements of movements that can be applied to a number of predicaments. In the case of a MASTER KEY TECHNIQUE it is a single technique that may be used as a BASE MOVE. Other similar techniques may then be perceived as formulations of it. In many ways they are like Family Groupings and Associated Moves; they are the result of an individual's further association of movements; they are the next logical step in the search for spontaneity. Remember, the following are only one set of model groupings. The art of Master Key Techniques is to eventually be able to use any and all techniques as a BASE MOVE and to see how all other techniques are formulations of it. This should lead you to the next level of spontaneity.

THUNDERING HAMMERS 32
Sleeper
Dance of Death
Grasping Eagles
Unwinding Pendulum
Dance of Darkness ***
Attacking Mace
Flashing Wings
Darting Mace
Crossing Talons
Desperate Falcons
Circling Fans ***
Leaping Crane
Gathering Clouds
Circling the Horizon
Piercing Lance
Taming the Mace
Shield and Mace ‑ Advanced
Back Breaker
Kneel of Compulsion
Brushing the Storm
Escape from the Storm
Flashing Mace
Glancing Salute
Clipping the Storm
Glancing Lance
Ram and the Eagle
Returning Storm
Grasp of Death
Gift of Destruction
Gift in Return
Gift of Destiny
Broken Gift

FIVE SWORDS 46
Delayed Sword
Fatal Deviation ***
Alternating Mace
Snaking Talons ***
Aggressive Twins
Entwined Maces ***
Defying the Storm
Mace of Aggression
Snapping Twigs
The Bear and the Ram
Tripping Arrow
Falling Falcon
Conquering Shield
Cross of Death
Bowing to Buddha
Raining Claw
Glancing Wing
Prance of the Tiger
Circling Fans ***
Deflecting Hammer
Hugging Pendulum
Retreating Pendulum
Dance of Darkness ***
Unwinding Pendulum
Menacing Twirl
Reversing Circles ***
Swinging Pendulum
Detour From Doom
Deceptive Panther
Charging Ram
Broken Ram
Intercepting the Ram
Spreading Branch
Reprimanding the Bears
Captured Twigs
Crushing Hammer
Obscure Wing
Calming the Storm
Securing the Storm
Triggered Salute
Twisted Twig
Bow of Compulsion
Reversing Mace
Circling Destruction
Gripping Talon
Twisted Rod

LONE KIMONO: 9
Twin Kimono
Clutching Feathers
Locking Horns
Captured Leaves
Entangled Wing
Snapping Twig
Raking Mace
Obscure Sword
Falcons of Force

INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE: 4
Circle of Doom
Rotating Destruction
Unfolding The Dark
Encounter With Danger

SHIELDING HAMMER: 20
Sword of Destruction
Evading The Storm
Protecting Fans
Shield and Mace
Leap From Danger
Dominating Circles
Circles of Protection
Raining Lance
Circling Windmills
Unfurling Crane
Reversing Circles
Leap of Death
Destructive Kneel
Destructive Fans
Glancing Spear
Desperate Falcons
Broken Rod
Fatal Deviation ***
Entwined Maces ***
Snaking Talons ***

REPEATING MACE: 8
Shield and Sword
Twirling Hammers
Checking The Storm
Twirling Wings
Entwined Lance
Parting of the Snakes
Capturing the Rod
Defying the Rod

LOCKED WING: 1
Flight to Freedom

THRUSTING SALUTE: 2
Buckling Branch
Striking Serpent's Head

PARTING WINGS: 24
Thrusting Prongs
Begging Hands
Thrusting Wedge
Blinding Sacrifice
Twist of Fate
Crashing Wings
Spiraling Twigs
Squatting Sacrifice
Scraping Hoof
Repeated Devastation
Cross of Destruction
Fallen Cross
Heavenly Ascent
Squeezing the Peach
Crossed Twigs
Circling Wing
Wings of Silk
Obstructing the Storm
Capturing the Storm
Calming the Storm
Securing the Storm
Snakes of Wisdom
Grip of Death
Escape From Death

[font=&quot] [/font] HOOKING WINGS: 4
Fatal Cross
Twirling Sacrifice
Defensive Cross
Marriage of the Rams

have fun.......
%-}

carmstrong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OMG,

Thanks Mr. Conatser. That was exceedingly generous of you. You are a gentleman (warrior) and a scholar...<full salute> Wow, we all have a lot to ponder now.

BTW, what do the three asterisks by some of the techniques mean?

Thanks a million!!!

You da man,

Chris

Jagdish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sir:

Can't believe you have the patience and energy to type all this info! :bow:

Yours,

Jagdish :supcool:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jagdish said:
Sir: Can't believe you have the patience and energy to type all this info!
Yours, Jagdish :supcool:
Just the tip of the iceburg my friend. Keep in mind that the "list" is an interesting start but the proper execution and understanding of just what each move contains and the reason why it is inserted in system is much more important.

:asian:

www.ikko.com

N

NTDeveloper

Sir,

First, let me thank you for taking all these questions.

Now, my question is the following: Is there a special name or category for techniques/combinations that involve simultaneous strikes? For example, Grasping Eagles includes a "triple": a left inward block, a front snap kick and a hammerfist.

Could you list a few other techniques that contain 3+ simultaneous strikes?

Thank You,

Chris Moore

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
NTDeveloper said:
Sir,
Is there a special name or category for techniques/combinations that involve simultaneous strikes? For example, Grasping Eagles includes a "triple": a left inward block, a front snap kick and a hammerfist.
Chris Moore
No there is no special name or categorical set up for simultaneous multiple striking.... mainly these involve the initial movements. you only have a few possible ways to strike at one time with 4 limbs and a head.... so the max number would be 4 at once or if you press to the extreme 5 in very rare circumstances.

These concentrate on the basic and norm not the exception (which is good to explore at some point down the road).

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
NTDeveloper said:
Could you list a few other techniques that contain 3+ simultaneous strikes?
I am a 'newbie' in Kenpo ... just have a bit more than 4 years study under my belt. However, the first technique that I was obviously conscious of 3 strikes at once was 'Unfurling Crane'
... right elbow to the jaw
... left heel palm
... knee to groin (or scoop kick)
I was pretty proud of me-self when I recognized that.

Mike

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I am a 'newbie' in Kenpo ... just have a bit more than 4 years study under my belt. However, the first technique that I was obviously conscious of 3 strikes at once was 'Unfurling Crane'
... right elbow to the jaw
... left heel palm
... knee to groin (or scoop kick)
I was pretty proud of me-self when I recognized that.

Mike
Good.....good!

%-}

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I keep seeing many discussing the many... MANY variations of techniques that are available in AK today. Some even get into the "who's right" debates! Just possibly.... maybe.... we should revisit the "equation formula" which then leads to the "variable expansions" that can be possible.

Would it be possible that many or all of the "slightly modified" or similar but "name changed" techniques are related and actually all good (of course, assuming that proper principles are applied) and useful?

If this be the case, then looking at some Kenpoists out there that have "started their {so called} own systems" could be scrutinized further as not really starting their own systems but rather simply having changed the names or sequential orders of the techniques which actually falls under Mr. Parker's original system architecture of the EQUATION FORMULA in the first place.

I mean, for example..... take Sword and Hammer (readers digest version) ...
Base Version
1) step into your opponent,
2) sword hand to the throat,
3) hammerfist to the groin.

Now under the ALTER section of the equation formula, we can: "change the weapon, the target or both". So let's say we... insert a backfist to the face, then sword hand to the throat.

Would this not be a viable self defense technique?

Since we altered the sequence, we could maintain the same name, or we could possibly change the name to oh let's say...... "Sword of Devastation" or something else if we so choose!

My point is.... if you understand what Ed Parker has actually left us with, you will see that:

1) there are an infinite amount of worthwhile technique options that (if taught correctly and understood) you have at your fingertips.

2) if you examine some of those that are teaching American Kenpo yet have announced that they are the "founder" of their NEW System, you may just want to ask what is NEW or DIFFERENT in their system vs. what Ed Parker had already laid out. To me, warping or expanding upon what has already been developed is not new.... just being utilized as expected.

Ed Parker taught us that there are: "The
three stages of comprehension" ...... to "KNOW OF" something, then "KNOW" something, and finally "UNDERSTAND" something. These are all three distinct areas of comprehension. I have met many that know of a lot about Kenpo, fewer however, really know Kenpo (as demonstrated by the content of their posts and actions {physically, mentally or philologically}), and still fewer yet, those that actually understand the architecture, meanings, and training of Ed Parker's System or are propagating it properly and completely.

So keep asking questions and get good answers. Look to those that can lead you to where you want to go in a proper, respectful, logical and truthful way.

Remember, "There ain't no easy way" you have to "chop wood and carry water"!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right now, I think I am in the 'Know Of' ... or at least in the process of 'Knowing Of' ... this stuff called American Kenpo.

Perhaps someday soon, I will 'Know' American Kenpo.

And with a bit of diligence, I may get to the point of Understanding. Time will tell on that, I guess.

Somewhere on this board, there is a post ... (perhaps by you) ... that says, "if you want to know all there is about Kenpo, ask a green belt ... cuz they know everything" ... I remember reading that when I was a Green belt. It hit home. I must remember, I am still a student ... Still a student ... still a student.

Thanks - michaeledward

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Right now, I think I am in the 'Know Of' ... or at least in the process of 'Knowing Of' ... this stuff called American Kenpo.

Perhaps someday soon, I will 'Know' American Kenpo.

And with a bit of diligence, I may get to the point of Understanding. Time will tell on that, I guess.
Well, the fact is we are and will always be in one of the three stages forever.. mostly in the first two. Whenever we finally grasp a good understanding in one area, it usually opens the door for another in which we are back at the "know of" stage. :) Then we proceed on and study hard to eventually achieve or "know" or at least make some sort of progress here before we do the same again in other areas..... bottom line is...... we will NEVER fully achieve the "UNDERSTAND" stage for the complete system (we need a few more lifetimes for that) :(.

But like I tell my students.. "don't get discouraged..... what else do you have to do for the rest of your life"! :rofl:

michaeledward said:
Somewhere on this board, there is a post ... (perhaps by you) ... that says, "if you want to know all there is about Kenpo, ask a green belt ... cuz they know everything" ... I remember reading that when I was a Green belt. It hit home.
The "tiger" stage for sure!

michaeledward said:
I must remember, I am still a student ... Still a student ... still a student.
Thanks - michaeledward
Well, Michael, we all need to remember those words above !

Keep in mind .... there are no masters only those with skills above and beyond what we have achieved so far!

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a grading coming up soon which requires me to put Form five on the floor. Thats OK, needs work but have a few months to get it looking better.

At this grading we have to do a Form of choice. The others before me have done Form four, the other person doing this grading with me is also going to do form four.

I could do form four - its long, technical and what we consider the signature form of kenpo. Also because of the technical aspect I could possibly get away with a few errors if any were made.

My problem is that I really like Long Three, the movements hard and soft, its crisp feeling etc. The only problem is that being of a lower form I will be marked harder (or different) as they would expect perfection (or close to) and my interpretation, as this form has been done for quite some time.

Would you go with the flow and take some heat off and do Four four or would you take a risk put a bit more pressure on yourself and do a lower form. Do you think that an Instructor might look upon you as though you are trying to get away with something that might seem easier and frown upon it.

I would appreciate an opinion from an Instructors point of view.

Cheers

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What other martial arts/styles did Mr. Ed Parker Sr. pick up or study prior to (or along with) his creation/standardization of American Kenpo?

- Ceicei

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Storm said:
Hi there
I have a grading coming up soon which requires me to put Form five on the floor. At this grading we have to do a Form of choice.

I could do form four - its long, technical and what we consider the signature form of kenpo.

My problem is that I really like Long Three, the movements hard and soft, its crisp feeling etc. The only problem is that being of a lower form I will be marked harder (or different) as they would expect perfection (or close to) and my interpretation, as this form has been done for quite some time.

Would you go with the flow and take some heat off by doing form Four or would you take a risk put a bit more pressure on yourself and do a lower form.

Do you think that an Instructor might look upon you as though you are trying to get away with something that might seem easier and frown upon it.

I would appreciate an opinion from an Instructors point of view. Cheers
I personally would like you to do a form approiate for your rank, but it depends on what the instructor is looking for. They may be looking for what form you really enjoy or like or which one you have put a lot more time into.

Forms 3 and beyond are really different individually and not really to be viewed on as Lower or Higher in reference to each other. Each has it's own unique "THEME" or purpose (the 3's are grab attacks, the 4 is combinations, the 5 ends with takedowns, the 6 is weapon attacks, the 7 is club work, the 8 is knife work), so you see each has a quality unto it's own.

Does your instructor require you to do a form "already developed" or can you develop your own "personal form"? If you are not sure... then I'd ask your instructor. I personally require students to develop their own form which gives me a greater opportunity to study their mental processes and understanding of their art.

If you don't know exactly what your specific instructor requires or is looking for.... then by all means ASK. Be prepared (asking could be a great step toward this .... right:) ). Then you will know a bit more of just what he/she is looking for..... all instructors view some things differently.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
What other martial arts/styles did Mr. Ed Parker Sr. pick up or study prior to (or along with) his creation/standardization of American Kenpo?
- Ceicei
Mr. Parker dabbled in many different things among them, Boxing, Judo, numerous Kung Fu systems, of course his main instruction from the Chow Brothers and then finally his own analytical mind that put everything together to what we have today. :)

Latest Discussions