Punching

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thought I'd show a clip of a girl that used punching to win a match. The match did not stop because of the punches but it really soften up the other girl to where she could not do anything. The girl trains at Garr Sports Taekwondo in San Jose just down the street from us. They really emphasize punching as a part of their training.
[YT]YBWWUiTQohk[/YT]

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha. That was cool. She was wailing on that girl.

I hate it when people fall down after landing spinning hook kicks, though. Seems like it you fall down maybe it shouldn't count or something.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of those very nicely done punches scored points?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha ha. That was cool. She was wailing on that girl.

I hate it when people fall down after landing spinning hook kicks, though. Seems like it you fall down maybe it shouldn't count or something.
At the very least it should teach us not to do that. :)

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you watch, you'll see that her foot was off the ground before the kick even landed, so apparently there is exactly what you're talking about in her dojang: a failure to teach their students not to do that. And I've seen it time and time again in WTF competition.

But not to get too far off topic . . . I do like the punches and she had a really good showing out there.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like she hit the other girl in the arm at least once or twice and maybe more than that (hard to tell since the other girl's body was blocking part of the view). She also missed connecting at least one shot. It's too bad the WTF limits punches to the torso as you could see in the video how exposed both of their heads were when they got in punching range.

It would be nice to see a WTF match or two where no one fell down after kicking :)

Pax,

Chris

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like she hit the other girl in the arm at least once or twice and maybe more than that (hard to tell since the other girl's body was blocking part of the view). She also missed connecting at least one shot. It's too bad the WTF limits punches to the torso as you could see in the video how exposed both of their heads were when they got in punching range.

It would be nice to see a WTF match or two where no one fell down after kicking :)

Pax,

Chris

Very true. Watching this years Olympic Team trials, it struck me how blatantly falling down is being used to prevent/avoid counterstrikes.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true. Watching this years Olympic Team trials, it struck me how blatantly falling down is being used to prevent/avoid counterstrikes.
I cant understand why falling down isnt some sort of penalty. It shouldnt be encouraged, its poor technique and fall down in a real fight and its good night.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok what you see is WTF sparring and that's a full contact sport where punches or any other hand tech is allow to the face head area however any kick to this are scores by 3 points! Yes you read me it's a full contact game, that's why no matter if you conect the head and fall to the mat in the intent.

Now if you got me, this video is from a sport competition or game THAT video is not self defense or fighthing for life, offcourse that fighting in the street I will not use a spining jumping hook kick (ala Van Dame) cause this is to risky for me, offcourse I will not use a roundhouse kick the head level, BUT I will viciusly kick the legs,groin,bladder,even the stomach or the floating ribs, that's TKD for self defense and offcourse I will use my hands to try to knock down the other guy.

Manny

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

And since one hand is down doing the punches to the body, the other has to guard you. But because shes pressing in at punching range, keeping her hand up at her head risks accidentally touching her in the face with her fist. I know you already acknowledged that, by the way. I was agreeing with you, and poking it myself slightly.

As a general response, i like her philosophy. Go in there, beat her up, THEN score points :)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's all cheer for a 14 year old girl getting kicked in the head and going to the ground. Yah!!! Kick harder next time so that she is unconscious! Yehhh!

That's the part of tkd I find peculiar. Parents and coaches say "TKD is only for self defense" then they cheer when their kid lands a hard kick to the head of some other kid who is less skilled or athletic.

The punches in a tkd match were interesting to see nonetheless.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cant understand why falling down isnt some sort of penalty. It shouldnt be encouraged, its poor technique and fall down in a real fight and its good night.

The way it was explained to me was that it's so people are encouraged to try more technically difficult kicks (which are scored higher).

Personally, I don't think it's a great idea since it removes WTF Taekwondo even farther from its martial arts roots than it already is. Besides, it's unnecessary. The ITF, for instance, has various scores for standing kicks to the middle section, standing kicks to the high section, flying kicks to the mid section, and flying kicks to the high section and still doesn't allow people to blatantly fall down after kicking.

But then no one asked me when they were writing up the WTF sparring rules :)

Pax,

Chris

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's all cheer for a 14 year old girl getting kicked in the head and going to the ground. Yah!!! Kick harder next time so that she is unconscious! Yehhh!

Hey, that's the name of the game man. She knew what she was getting into when she walked out there. She'll live.

That's the part of tkd I find peculiar. Parents and coaches say "TKD is only for self defense" then they cheer when their kid lands a hard kick to the head of some other kid who is less skilled or athletic.

Do they say that? Not in WTF schools, no, they don't say that.

Unless by "only for self-defense" they mean, Don't go out and start fights.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have seen Gel get beat pretty bad when she first started as a JR...in have never seen that girl quit....I have seen that girl fight a hundred times. she is about 4'10 which is tiny for 101....

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The falling is a problem as many are taught to fall after even simple round kicks as to not get countered. I really hate when I see it. But for jump back spinning kicks like in the video sometimes you have no option but to fall as you totally sell out when committed to the kick. As you watch in this vid, Angelica was in tight when she threw the kick and had to stay with the kick even on the inside until the hook of the kick. Once the hook landed she was not in position to have the kick finish coming back behind her. The girls body was literally between landing the kick so her only option was to fall. This was not a case in where you could land or finish the kick based on the distance and angle of the kick. Believe it or not it really takes some skill to execute this kick from the distance that Gel did and land the kick on the intended target. Most people would simply stop the kick and not make contact. You have to sell out to make this kick work at that distance and you can't be afraid to fall. Again I have seen many that cannot do this kick from that distance and make it land. It is not easy.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
!

That's the part of tkd I find peculiar. Parents and coaches say "TKD is only for self defense" .

I don't find it peculiar to consider something to be used for Self defense and yet not be confined to "Defensive". techniques.

One primary tool for Defense is and Should be a pre emptive attack.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two good girls, who'll likely have no problem getting, keeping and doing well at any job they choose.
Shame more parents don't encourage their kids to have a go, this sort of thing builds character.
I don't know the style but had they been Pakua I'd have taught them both to be a bit more sunk and grounded. They were both a bit 'up and top' off-balance at times , just kids though and all respect to them.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't find it peculiar to consider something to be used for Self defense and yet not be confined to "Defensive". techniques.

Good luck with that as a defence in court.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pre-empting aside, you cant just rely on blocking and evasiveness. Thats all well and good until you get hit. You need 'offense' in your 'defense'.

Latest Discussions