punching form

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how many of you use a 3/4 turn punch as the way you punch it is my undersstanding that this is when your punch will be at its strongest as the ones are aligned properly. That is the only way I will punch now as everything else feels weaker and uncomfortable.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ppko said:
how many of you use a 3/4 turn punch as the way you punch it is my undersstanding that this is when your punch will be at its strongest as the ones are aligned properly. That is the only way I will punch now as everything else feels weaker and uncomfortable.
It's not that simple, at least not on a "general" forum ;)

Shoulder and body position come into the equation of what the most natural turn on it is, as does the hieght you are punching at, and what kinda gap you plan on throwing it through.

I spent many years doing Isshin ryu, one of its primary distinguishing features is a 3/4 punch.

Now I never do that, straight punches are always thrown palm down. More power and keeps me better covered as I do it. However the way I punch doesn't look like a karate style punch anymore.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
I agree with the 3/4 twist on the punch. I believe to that it delivers more power and feels more comfortable then the complete twist that I was used to.

As demonstrated in the pic below:
knuckles.jpg

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember thinking about this question quite a bit the first five or so years I was learning how to punch. Now it depends upon what I'm trying to accomplish with my explosive arm extension, my target choice, our positioning, follow-up movements and real or potential responses from my opponent.

In short, I believe you should hit the way your style trains you, often and with great variety (slow, fast, explosively, smoothly, staccato, singly, in combination, various heights, targets, deeply, with snap, as a displante, etc.) then use the retraction as a an opportunity to pull something of the opponent's back to you in a twisting manner with those different methods. You can find out many things for yourself.

Oh, and keep utilizing your footwork, don't just stand there in front of him/her.

Great fun :)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pale Rider said:
I agree with the 3/4 twist on the punch. I believe to that it delivers more power and feels more comfortable then the complete twist that I was used to.

As demonstrated in the pic below:
knuckles.jpg
Thanks for posting the picture it makes the discussion clearer, and by the way I like your avatar! :) I punch with the palm down (starting from palm up at the hip) not on a slight angle like you show here. I agree with Trent that footwork is important and generally go into a forward bow when executing this type of punch.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I punch with the palm up, with the palm down and with all the angles in between. It depends on target, distance and position of origin.

Jeff

S

ShenChuan_Ninja

I agree with everyone, personally i use 3/4 turn and hit with pointer, and middle finger knuckles. In my system, we use 3/4 more than palm down because as i found, when i was in a physical situation, my wrist would bend down when i hit and cause pain or breaking. But i am a strong believer in do what feels natural.

Although, if doing what feels natural gets you a broken wrist or hand, maybe you should reconsider your technique.

Latest Discussions