Breathing in fast punches

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if I threw 5 punches (in one second? get real)
A simple test.

- Jump up in the air, throw 5 punches before landing your feet back down on the ground.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Count the total time N second.

The N/10 second is the time that your 5 punches need.

Can you stay in the air for more than 1 second? I don't think it's possible.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just find this clip. In the following clip, he jumps up in the air and finishes 5 moves combo.

1. Right punch.
2. Left downward block.
3. Right back fist (with back palm).
4. Left upward block.
5. Right uppercut (with wrist).

before landing back down on his feet.

I believe no matter who does this, he cannot jump up and stay in the air for more than 1 second.

Of course both downward block and upward block can be replaced by punches as well.

Within 10 second clip, this combo has been repeated 6 times. If we don't count for the time after feet landing, this clip can proof that 5 punches within 1 second is possible.

I am always impressed by the old(er) clips you post. Very cool.
To be fair, you said the were usually 1/3 to 1/2 stroke punches. So more like a flurry? You can definitely see the drill where the man in on the deck would be a challenge to defend because he really presses the attack.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you said the were usually 1/3 to 1/2 stroke punches. So more like a flurry?
Within those 5 moves combo, or 8 moves combo, some moves are used for "re-block your opponent's blocking arm".

When you throw your 1st punch and sense your opponent's blocking intention, you will pull your 1st punch back (it may only travel 1/2 way so far), your other hand then reach to his blocking arm (re-block). This will make your 1st punch almost as a fake punch.

- You throw the 1st punch (knock on the door).
- Your opponent's blocks it (your opponent opens the door).
- Your 2nd re-block try to open the door even wider.
- Your 3rd punch then enter through that wide opened door.

This strategy is different from the WC chain punches that each and every punch can be a solid punch.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a simple partner training for fast punches.

- You throw a right punch.
- Your opponent use a right arm outside in block.
- You pull your punch back (before your opponent's blocking arm can touch on your punching arm).
- You then punch again through your left side (his right side) of his right blocking arm.

In other words, you try to let your opponent to block into the thin air. If your opponent's blocking arm can't touch your punching arm, you have developed some good punching speed.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think many people can throw five punches in 1 second, i timed that roughly and it looks like 17 punches in 5 seconds and some were far from proper punches, its the volume rather than the quality that over welms him. i think he was going down after 4.

as to the question, punching on the exhale is mostly nonsense, if you have the blood oxigene to do your punches you don't need to breath at all, though its good practice to breath in a normal controlled way, it makes no difference if he was inhaling or exhaling or quite probably both durry the flurry, as really you should be breathing at a second in, a second out, you should not be running out of oxygen in 5 seconds ( in fact you should not be using oxygen at all), there's no need to elevate your breathing
There's some evidence that breathing out and holding the breath both marginally increase muscle output - likely by two different, but related processes. Breathing in requires relaxation of trunk muscles (to allow expansion) and will reduce the link between the upper and lower body. Not a big deal for a punch just meant to create distance, but it would rob power.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it depends on the type Punch combo

It's either one controlled exhale or one controlled choppy exhale. The choppy exhales are almost like a mix between holding our breath and exhaling but we don't actually hold our breath. We exhale in spurts. When I used to do my sparring class we would do 100 punches as fast as we could non-stop. This helped us learn how to breathe in while punching.
Pretty much the same approach.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's no science in that answer, the question is how does punching on a long choppy exhale aid your punching over normal controlled breathing ?

neither sprintors or longer distance runners do long choppy exhales, in fact im struggling to think of any other sport except tma that does !
I'm trying to think back to sprint training, and I can't recall anyone ever suggesting (or practicing) an exhale on the launch. That launch is more analogous to a punch than the run is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do fast spring any more. I just do long distance running. Do you know anybody breath differently in long distance running besides "2 steps inhale, 2 steps exhale"? I assume that's the only way to breath for long distance running.
I've done it on longer cadences than that (typically 4-in, 4-out), but the principle is the same.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talking of fast punches, found this video of a 9 year old Russian girl, from a well known boxing family, I think soon she will have 5 punch combo in a second. Watch out future mma or women boxers in the future.

Holy moly! Incredible!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A simple test.

- Jump up in the air, throw 5 punches before landing your feet back down on the ground.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Count the total time N second.

The N/10 second is the time that your 5 punches need.

Can you stay in the air for more than 1 second? I don't think it's possible.
yes you can stay in the air for considerably longer than one second, google any sport were jumping is important, football, basketball, nfl etal and you will see what i mean, in fact even a rubbish jump will take a second up and a second down

whats not so clear is if its possible to throw meaningful punches at a rate of 5 per second, certain its possible that some people may, but for most your going to get no more a slaps and inaccurate slaps at that, which then begs the question wouldnt you be better throwing two good ones that wasting your time

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's some evidence that breathing out and holding the breath both marginally increase muscle output - likely by two different, but related processes. Breathing in requires relaxation of trunk muscles (to allow expansion) and will reduce the link between the upper and lower body. Not a big deal for a punch just meant to create distance, but it would rob power.
id be interested to see that evidence and even more the physiological reason why

ive just held my trunk muscle in tension and continued breathing, it presented no difficulty at all, so clearly that's not a re4ason, added to which when punching you want semi relaxed trunk muscles so you can turn and move your weight in to the punch. this clearly eminents from the karate punch, where yelling and exhaling during the punch is the way to go. but karate punches are not really optimal apart from a very select group of circumstances. even then, what the science ?

id throw into the mix isometric exercises, where your using maximum effort for 30 second to a minute, what you really really don't want to do is hold your breath( or exhale very slowly) or you will explode your heart, which will start racing through lack of oxygen, but holding breath is what most people do and they have to learn to breathe normally in order to sustain that level of effort without damage. there a marked difference between that and say bench pressing where its common to exhale on the power, but then your still looking a close to normal breathing, the exhale only taking two or three seconds and your breathing in on the descent, which is actual most physically taxing ( unless they just drop the weight which most people do)

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the question wouldn't you be better throwing two good ones that wasting your time
It depends on your opponent's respond. If your opponent's blocking (or dodging) is too slow, your 1st punch will be enough. Otherwise you hope you can hit him on your next punch.

When you throw your 1st punch, the following can happen:

1. Your 1st punch knock your opponent down (game over).
2. Your opponent dodges your punch (no-op).
3. Your opponent blocks your punch. You pull his arm and punch out with another hand (right punch, grab and pull, left punch).
4. You can sense that your opponent is going to block your punch. Before your opponent's arm contacts on your punching arm, you pull your punch back. You use the other hand to re-block his blocking arm. You then punch with the same hand again (right punch, left re-block, right punch).

If you replace punch with fingers to the eyes. 10 lb force finger to the eye is no different from 50 lb force finger to the eye. Sometime a .22 bullet can stop your opponent as good as a .45 bullet can. It depends on where the bullet may hit.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ONLY ever do punches while in the air. It's just my thing.

Well then. have you ever considered fighting while sky-diving? Or in one of those vertical wind tunnels they use to train sky-diving? There are a few around here. A couple of my students went to one on Friday.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ONLY ever do punches while in the air. It's just my thing.
If you can jump from 10 feet away and punch your opponent's face while your body is still in the air, that can be a valuable skill.

If you can do Karate 'flying side kick", you should be able to figures out the "flying punch". It's the same principle, you jump up with leading foot, twist your body, and try to land with back foot. You then punch while your back foot hasn't landed yet.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes you can stay in the air for considerably longer than one second,
In the following clip, his feet lands back down 4 times within 2 second. That's 1/2 second for each jump. The 4th jump hasn't landed yet but his 5 punches has completed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the following clip, his feet lands back down 4 times within 2 second. That's 1/2 second for each jump. The 4th jump hasn't landed yet but his 5 punches has completed.

+I DIDNT SAY you cant jump quickly, just your statement that you canT make a jump last more than one second is wrong AND, that film is clearly sped up

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
that film is clearly sped up
It was a 8 mm film that has been filmed by a video camera. It was not a speed up film.

This is why I use a "jump" to compute the time spent for 5 punches (the video speed is only for reference).

If your jump take

- 1/2 second, you can punch 5 times in 1/2 second.
- 1 second, you can punch 5 times in 1 second.
- 2 second, you can punch 5 times in 2 second.

The preying mantis is famous in "speed". All PM forms are performed in full speed.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a 8 mm film that has been filmed by a video camera. It was not a speed up film.

This is why I use a "jump" to compute the time spent for 5 punches (the video speed is only for reference).

If your jump take

- 1/2 second, you can punch 5 times in 1/2 second.
- 1 second, you can punch 5 times in 1 second.
- 2 second, you can punch 5 times in 2 second.

definitely sped up, ior they filmed it at the wrong speed, it's one or the other,it looks like the keystone cops

Latest Discussions