Protective gear

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mouthguard in the club (have taken a couple good hits to the groin while sparring but in general don't bother with cup on home ground).
Mouth guard and generally cup when visiting other clubs, you never know who you are fighting/sparring and what control or agenda some may have.

Mouth and cup and dependant on rules and style fought, gloves.

We often train wearing gloves to mix things up and also in prep for competiton and regularly get out the heavy gloves to build endurance. Never worn head gear but not a constant grappler so don't have to worry about the cauliflower ears (that reminds me of some photo Tez or someone posted a while back of some dude draining blood from his swollen ears with a needle/syringe - he had serious caulis!).

I will wear shin guards when asked when training at muay thai clubs/kickboxing clubs but not something I do normally. In goju ryu, at least my club, we train a lot on conditioning the shins for blocks/checks and strikes but the style is more of evade the leg strike/distance and counter rather than a war of attrition in trading leg strikes so when sparring do not generally need the guards but some elect to wear them all the time.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
For unarmed usually just hand gear and foot gear, cup (always cup, groin is a target in kenpo), mouthguard, for weapon work (stick, short sword, knife) I use a fencing mask and lacrosse gloves, sometimes a mouthguard depending on the ruleset.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my school everyone that spars is required to wear the whole battery of protective gear (hand/foot pads, cup, mouth guard, chest protector and helmet). I'm personally thinking of getting shin guards cause that seems to be the only place I ever get hit, of course I already feel like I'm wearing one of those sumo wrestling suits when I spar.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mouth piece is always a good thing.

One of my friends is actually looking for a pair of knee pads that the WWE pro wrestlers wear.
They are black and bit bulky. Anyone know what brand that is?

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I've never ever worn any protective gear while training/sparring - not even a cup or mouth piece. I don't recommend it for everyone, but that's how I roll. I do make all my students wear a cup, mouth piece, head gear, shin guards and body armour, any time they box... with or without kicks involved. Please remember all my students are children and teens. I'll do anything and everything to protect them and keep them from getting hurt or injured.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I've never ever worn any protective gear while training/sparring - not even a cup or mouth piece. I don't recommend it for everyone, but that's how I roll. I do make all my students wear a cup, mouth piece, head gear, shin guards and body armour, any time they box... with or without kicks involved. Please remember all my students are children and teens. I'll do anything and everything to protect them and keep them from getting hurt or injured.

Out of Curiosity, what if One Specifically Asked to, say, not wear Headgear? Or Bodyarmour. But only choosing One of those Two to Remove, possibly claiming that they feel Obstructed by it.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Out of Curiosity, what if One Specifically Asked to, say, not wear Headgear? Or Bodyarmour. But only choosing One of those Two to Remove, possibly claiming that they feel Obstructed by it.
Keep in mind - I've been training in M/A for over 40 years and I realize just how unconfortable wearing a mouthpiece feels to me, along with other protective gear - but it's my dojo and my rules... I will not be suing myself if I get hurt or injured during a sparring session. I can't say the same for the kid's parents, if one of them gets hurt or injured. They must wear the gear or they don't participate... No questions asked.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind - I've been training in M/A for over 40 years and I realize just how unconfortable wearing a mouthpiece feels to me, along with other protective gear - but it's my dojo and my rules... I will not be suing myself if I get hurt or injured during a sparring session. I can't say the same for the kid's parents, if one of them gets hurt or injured. They must wear the gear or they don't participate... No questions asked.

What about 'leading by example'? Kids especially pick up on adults who have a 'do as I say not as I do' attitude, it lowers instructors in their estimation. Of course you may not care what kids think but I like to be honest with them, makes them better adults.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about 'leading by example'? Kids especially pick up on adults who have a 'do as I say not as I do' attitude, it lowers instructors in their estimation. Of course you may not care what kids think but I like to be honest with them, makes them better adults.

...Or, it might make them think "Hm! Maybe when WERE that Experienced, WE wont need Gear either!".
I dunno, either way is possible.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Simple: I don't sparr infront of my minor students. I do roll with them, from time to time, but that's a whole different scenario then sparring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Or, it might make them think "Hm! Maybe when WERE that Experienced, WE wont need Gear either!".
I dunno, either way is possible.[/QUOTE

'Dunno' is something I wouldn't recommend when teaching kids. Like fear they can smell when you are indecisive lol!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to throw something a little different into the mix...I am NOT HAPPY when informed by my male uke or sparring partner that they are not wearing a cup. I find it inconsiderate of them. It's rude.

Why? Because now I am going to have to keep that in mind when striking and kicking. And although I have reached a point where I have reasonably good control over my kicks and punches, it's not 100%; I might bust 'em a good one in the wedding tackle without meaning to. And although one could say that this is THEIR problem, the fact is, that if you hit your uke and they collapse and are writing on the ground in pain, you feel bad. So I'm ticked off that they put me in that position. If I were not a nice guy, I'd begin the sparring session by kicking them in the slats, watching them curl up in a little ball, and then saying "Next time, wear a cup, moron." But I'm too nice for that, so I just get angry.

So as far as I'm concerned, guys should be wearing cups when they step onto the mat in the dojo, period. It's not a rule at my dojo; if it were up to me, it would be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to throw something a little different into the mix...I am NOT HAPPY when informed by my male uke or sparring partner that they are not wearing a cup. I find it inconsiderate of them. It's rude.

Why? Because now I am going to have to keep that in mind when striking and kicking. And although I have reached a point where I have reasonably good control over my kicks and punches, it's not 100%; I might bust 'em a good one in the wedding tackle without meaning to. And although one could say that this is THEIR problem, the fact is, that if you hit your uke and they collapse and are writing on the ground in pain, you feel bad. So I'm ticked off that they put me in that position. If I were not a nice guy, I'd begin the sparring session by kicking them in the slats, watching them curl up in a little ball, and then saying "Next time, wear a cup, moron." But I'm too nice for that, so I just get angry.

So as far as I'm concerned, guys should be wearing cups when they step onto the mat in the dojo, period. It's not a rule at my dojo; if it were up to me, it would be.

All our guys wear groin guards and gum shields when sparring, rolling etc becuase it's simply not worth getting injured when it's avoidable. I hadn't thought of things the way you put them because our guys do this (it's not a rule, just good practice) but you are absolutely correct. I find the macho attitude of boasting about not wearing groin guards and gum shields a bit much. When we grapple we tap as soon as the technique goes on, the pro fighters do this as well, why get hurt in training it proves nothing, in competitive bouts we know how much pain we can take (or not!) so why get all macho in training?
They also have to wear them when competing so much better to get used to them in training.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Like I said before, I've never worn a cup or mouthpiece in training or even sparring. I have all my teeth and both of my *alls intact. It's impossible to hurt what you can't hit... although I do realize there is always that possibility. I feel I'm more likely to get hit if I'm having trouble breathing, due to wearing a mouthpiece, or feeling discomfort, due to wearing a cup. I know I'm taking a risk - but for me, it's a risk I can live with - and have done so for over 40 years of competitive M/A training.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I said before, I've never worn a cup or mouthpiece in training or even sparring. I have all my teeth and both of my *alls intact. It's impossible to hurt what you can't hit... although I do realize there is always that possibility. I feel I'm more likely to get hit if I'm having trouble breathing, due to wearing a mouthpiece, or feeling discomfort, due to wearing a cup. I know I'm taking a risk - but for me, it's a risk I can live with - and have done so for over 40 years of competitive M/A training.

Everything is not about you, champ. Have some consideration for your sparring partners.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everything is not about you, champ. Have some consideration for your sparring partners.
Funny thing is that I can't remember any of my training patners ever wearing protective gear, either. Nobody ever complained about inconsideration, though.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Better Question, Champ: If someone ASKED You to wear Protective Gear for... Lets say, their Peace of Mind, would You?

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Better Question, Champ: If someone ASKED You to wear Protective Gear for... Lets say, their Peace of Mind, would You?
I guess I would wear the cup & mouthpiece. Headgear & shinguards, maybe - body armour NO.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$dilbert-fist-of-death.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I dont wear one but I also never tell anyone I dont wear one. I always just figured if I get hit thats my own dumb fault for not wearing it. I never really thought about the other guy feeling bad for cracking me. HMMMM now you got me thinking.

Latest Discussions