Turning my room into a dojo

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have about 7 by 7 1/2 feet.

I just moved my bed and desk closer to the wall. I have an extra 5 inches in each direction now. ( 7 by 7 1/2 feet)

I was thinking I could wear my foot gear to protect my toes and put padding on the edge of the bed and desk.

Two questions:
1. do you think I will be able to practice a butterfly kick and other jump spin kicks in my room?

2. How much safety room do I need? (distance between my leg and the wall, bed, or desk)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two questions:
1. do you think I will be able to practice a butterfly kick and other jump spin kicks in my room?

2. How much safety room do I need? (distance between my leg and the wall, bed, or desk)

Give it a try and find out. Nobody can answer that for you, but it might be tight. Start slow and see how it goes. Don't break anything!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plus, how solid is the floor and do you have any neighbours underneath who are going to be a tad annoyed by repeated impacts on what is their ceiling?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I can say is give it a shot and see what happens. Best of luck.

Tabris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see a photo of your bedroom dojo when your done :)

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tight to say the least. Wearing pads might be a good Idea. I kicked a pole in my basement while working on my heavy bag...ouch!! I cut the bottom of my foot on the retract. Some other thoughts: Do you have a place outside to practice? I.e. a local park or a back yard? Even a roof top. What is your environment like? Dorm room? private residence? Military room? Prison cell (just asking)?

Maybe you can look into a real Futon bed to roll up into a corner or hang out of the way. These are very comfy to sleep on also.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Practicing in a small area is a great idea! There will be times you may have to fight back in a small area, (restauants,bars,living rooms,bedrooms?)

Practice what will work for you? ...and you will gain alot of knowledge, what works in a tight area.

Aloha (we have to practice on a small Islands).

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Practicing in a small area is a great idea! There will be times you may have to fight back in a small area, (restauants,bars,living rooms,bedrooms?)

Never thought of that before

Tight to say the least. Wearing pads might be a good Idea. I kicked a pole in my basement while working on my heavy bag...ouch!! I cut the bottom of my foot on the retract. Some other thoughts: Do you have a place outside to practice? I.e. a local park or a back yard? Even a roof top. What is your environment like? Dorm room? private residence? Military room? Prison cell (just asking)?

That sounds like it hurt. I don't have any immediate acess to an outside place to train. I live in an apartment complex in my own room.

I'd love to see a photo of your bedroom dojo when your done

I got an area to practice kicks (when I move everything), a treadmill, and 300 pounds of plates for my barbell, and some dumbells. I will try to post a pic if I get a digital camera or get photos put on a CD.

All I can say is give it a shot and see what happens. Best of luck

Thank you and everyone else that replied.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can always add space by getting a smaller bed to "add" size to your room. An old friend of mine had a bunch of gym equipment and a folding army cot in a 10x10 room, his girlfriend didn't think much of it, but it worked for him.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When training for the first time ,in a huge hall?, or outdoors in an open field?, or in small dojo? Surroundings does affect your thoughts.

99% of us do not train in bars, tight quarters, a business office, and we do not learn how to move around? What techniques will work best in these areas that will serve us best.

Maybe it you get a chance, practice at home in your own place and see how it feels to move around and what strikes work for you. Anyone can do this, try fighting (make believe) in the bathroom too!

Practicing on stairs (going up or down), Elevators (imagine what you would do) when riding in one. NO roof practice- (safety first).

ON a bus? ...in a van? or car? Airplanes? ...boats? Supermarkets, so many places one can imagine or actully do practice one's martial arts?

There is NO limits to practice areas? Moon? um...the sun may be too hot? Space is OK ....because anyone can take up space! .........Aloha

Latest Discussions