Protective gear

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have some pads for the foot and hand and that's pretty much about it. Of course a cup.

Some of my friends are starting to wear knee and elbow pads during sparring practice.

What is everyone doing for protective gear?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some pads for the foot and hand and that's pretty much about it. Of course a cup.

Some of my friends are starting to wear knee and elbow pads during sparring practice.

What is everyone doing for protective gear?

Well, first of all, I always wear a cup in the dojo. Always. If we're sparring, we wear hand and foot protection. Some wear shin protectors (I do). That's pretty much it; but in our kid's class, they also wear headgear and chest protectors.

When I'm competing, I wear what the rules require; hand and foot protection, shin protection, and headgear, mouth protector, and the cup of course.

I had been wearing the usual foam-dipped stuff, but recently shifted to Piranha Gear head and footgear. Still wearing foam-dipped hand and shin protection.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes we'll wear Vests. And you can wrap your Hands if you really want to.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't wear anything. Cups and mouth guards are not uncommon, along with ear guards, but all of these are illegal in most tournaments.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never wear a cup, I never have from youth sports, thru high schools sports I just could never wear them. They look like they have come along way since then my son wears them for football they look more comfortable now and I prob should start wearing them but I got all the kids I want so it dont matter any more.
When sparring we are required wear gloves and foot/shin guards until brown belt then you dont have to wear anything. Helmets are optional I dont wear them some guys do, alot of guys at my school are wearing full face mask helmets now, but I figure if you hit me in the face or head its my fault I need to try harder I do wear a mouth guard I dont want to loose any teeth dental work is expensive

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on the type of sparring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA gloves, gum shields and for the guys groin guards, that's it. Well, t shirts/rashguards and shorts or Gi bottoms :ultracool
If I'm playing seriously with the guys I'll put a chest guard on, not for my protection or modesty but because you can really use them as weapons! Seriously!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never wear a cup, I never have from youth sports, thru high schools sports I just could never wear them. They look like they have come along way since then my son wears them for football they look more comfortable now and I prob should start wearing them but I got all the kids I want so it dont matter any more.
When sparring we are required wear gloves and foot/shin guards until brown belt then you dont have to wear anything. Helmets are optional I dont wear them some guys do, alot of guys at my school are wearing full face mask helmets now, but I figure if you hit me in the face or head its my fault I need to try harder I do wear a mouth guard I dont want to loose any teeth dental work is expensive

There is an Isshin-Ryu dojo near me (not mine) where the sensei insists that the men and women wear cups. In fact, they have to wear the heavy-duty over-the-pants style in the dojo. I was told by one of his students (and there were fellow students to back up his statements, so I believe him) that their sensei uses a backfist to 'check' cups and they had to go to the external heavy-duty cups because he has split and broken traditional jock-strap type cups and in fact one of their students had to have a testicle removed because their sensei crushed it with a backfist 'cup check'. Personally, I would not be a student there, but this is what I've been told.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an Isshin-Ryu dojo near me (not mine) where the sensei insists that the men and women wear cups. In fact, they have to wear the heavy-duty over-the-pants style in the dojo. I was told by one of his students (and there were fellow students to back up his statements, so I believe him) that their sensei uses a backfist to 'check' cups and they had to go to the external heavy-duty cups because he has split and broken traditional jock-strap type cups and in fact one of their students had to have a testicle removed because their sensei crushed it with a backfist 'cup check'. Personally, I would not be a student there, but this is what I've been told.

That sounds so many ways weird and kinky. Standing there while someone backfists your groin? I think not.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds so many ways weird and kinky. Standing there while someone backfists your groin? I think not.

Yeah, I'm with you there. When I played sports in school growing up, there were coaches that would do 'cup checks' on the guys with a stick; I would think it was a bit freaky but it was actually fairly common then. Never saw it with adults, though. And frankly, I'm not interested in having someone hammer me in the groin to see if I'm wearing a cup. I am, I said I am. That's good enough.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you there. When I played sports in school growing up, there were coaches that would do 'cup checks' on the guys with a stick; I would think it was a bit freaky but it was actually fairly common then. Never saw it with adults, though. And frankly, I'm not interested in having someone hammer me in the groin to see if I'm wearing a cup. I am, I said I am. That's good enough.

When I'm reffing I have to check fighters are wearing a cup but I get them to 'tap' it, there's no way I'm going to do any touching like that ( I know guys and how often they don't wash that groin guard!) It gets thrown in the kit bag after training and stays there, ugh!

It seems part of that strange western idea of 'Eastern' obedience to the martial arts instructors probably taken from those weird Japanese games shows! Or Karate Kid!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

...But why?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick tap is a not-uncommon check by refs in my experience. But a full force backfist? Little much, in my opinion. And, personally, when I ref, I usually have the male competitors tap themselves rather than me do it... but a lot of the time, I figure it's their business.

For my classes, we generally use either the foam dipped stuff (usually Macho's Warrior Gear with closed fingers on the hands). Sometimes we use MMA gloves or boxing gloves, especially if we're prepping someone for kickboxing. And, of course, no gear other than a cup & mouthpiece, as well. Depends on the exercise, the student's skill, and sometimes just my mood. (I get fed up with 10 minutes of putting gear on...)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our guys use metal Muay Thai groin guards from Thailand, they come with a lot of string. they know now to take that string off and insert where the plastic ones went, this is because one of our fighters who was training in Thailand got the runs and couldn't untie all the knots that were holding the metal cup in place in time....
http://www.thaiboxingstore.co.uk/index.php/store/home/category/39

Latest Discussions