Protective Equipment

R

RCastillo

I want to invest in some gear to use for self defense, so that we can be a bit more realistic, w/o inflicting damage. I'm aware of Fist, Redman,and Tony Blauers products.

Any advice, recommendations, and price issues?

Thanks, and Respects:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Good hockey helmets and PVC foamed sticks work wonders for improving you stick skills in full contact mode. You can swing as hard as you want and just leave a few welts LOL. We do it at my studio, and you can definitely figure out where you doing something wrong when you hear a sudden CLANG on the helmet.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Clyde,

We use old fencing masks when we do the stick sparring. They actually provide pretty good protection without feeling like you are wearing "armor." (I figure if the Dog Brothers can use them against rattan, I can handle PVC). Also, you can thrust to the face, even with wood dowels, or practice knives. The advantage in particular is that they are pretty cheap compared to hockey helmets and you can get them second hand cheaper.

Lamont

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Blindside

Hi Clyde,

We use old fencing masks when we do the stick sparring. They actually provide pretty good protection without feeling like you are wearing "armor." (I figure if the Dog Brothers can use them against rattan, I can handle PVC). Also, you can thrust to the face, even with wood dowels, or practice knives. The advantage in particular is that they are pretty cheap compared to hockey helmets and you can get them second hand cheaper.

Lamont

Hey Blindside,

I wouldn't wanna use fencing masks... they don't offer much protection for strikes against the back of the head... I know cause I have some, and I didn't like getting hit there.

Take Care,
Billy Lear

P.S. Clyde will hit you just about anywhere if you give him a stick and the incentive to hit. LOL :D

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
At the school where I studied Okinawan Kobudo, we sparred with full kenpo armor. We also did a lot of escrima and wore only the helmets and hockey gloves with PVC sticks. The helmets are awesome, they provide superior protection, great visibility, and sturdy as hell. One draw back is that they take a bit of getting used to because once they're on, they lace up in the back, and they are a ***** to get off in a hurry. If you're not claustrophobic, no problem, if you are, after the first few times, it aint nothin but a thing.

Gary Catherman, Kenpoist.

Latest Discussions